Windows 10: Start button stopped working

Discus and support Start button stopped working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I made some changes to my network settings in an attempt to determine what was preventing my desktop system from sleeping. I was restarting my system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Xilnik, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Xilnik Win User

Start button stopped working

I made some changes to my network settings in an attempt to determine what was preventing my desktop system from sleeping. I was restarting my system after each change, and now my Start button has stopped working. Microsoft Edge crashed immediately when opened one time prior to this happening, but I do not know whether the two are related.

I did Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts.

Have other people been having more issues with their systems since this month's set of security updates? I have re-installed Windows 10 a dozen times or more in the past 2-3 weeks, including two clean installs on one of my systems.

EDIT: Chose to clean install Windows on this machine to see if it fixes my sleep when idle issues/user profile corruption.

:)

Xilnik, Mar 28, 2017

2. start button and search button stopped working

All of a sudden they both stopped working. Had to shut down using power button last night. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm a senior with limited funds.

KarenWilliams_958, Mar 28, 2017
  3. start button and search button stopped working

Fixed! Thank you so much!

KarenWilliams_958, Mar 28, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Revert the changes in the Clean Boot.
    Go to Start/Search and type msconfig and press enter. Under the General tab, select Normal boot and restart the computer.
    If you want to still use Clean Boot, the go the Services tab click Enable All Services, then put a check box in Hide All Microsoft services, now, to do a clean boot, choose Disable All. This will disable all unnecessary services except the Microsoft ones (ie) Start Button, Edge etc. restart the computer.

spunk, Mar 29, 2017
  5. Xilnik Win User
    That was how I used clean boot initially. Then I did a diagnostic boot, and that broke Windows Defender. After re-enabling services and startup programs, Defender was still broken, so I had to do a repair install after sfc and DISM failed to fix it. Clean Boot Troubleshooting Caused Windows Defender 0x80070426 - Solved

Xilnik, Mar 29, 2017
  6. Xilnik Win User
    After a clean install, I'm again having issues with my taskbar. Now right clicking on icons just results in the waiting circle with no dialog list showing up. I was trying to right click on the file explorer icon to access some of my quick access/pinned items, but I could not do so. It is exceedingly frustrating how easily my Microsoft profile gets corrupted in Windows 10.

Xilnik, Mar 29, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    Ok now do SFC /scannow and if that fails the DISM command you did previously, Then SFC /scannow again. If this fails, I would consider doing a clean install

spunk, Mar 30, 2017
  8. Xilnik Win User

'SFC /scannow' found no integrity violations.
    'Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth' failed to fix the issue.
    'SFC /scannow' found no integrity violations.

Clean installing for the second time in 24 hours ...

Xilnik, Mar 30, 2017
  9. Xilnik Win User
    Clean install has me up and running as well as I was prior to issues starting again. We'll see how long that lasts. One issue: Microsoft Edge has lost all my favorites.

Edit: recovered my favorites (minus a few) from a backup saved from Edge Manage a few days ago. I re-added the missing favorites and saved a new backup.

Xilnik, Mar 30, 2017
  10. Xilnik Win User
    I am now running the release preview of the Creators Update. So far, my system seems more stable. I will continue to monitor and mark this solved if it remains stable for the next week.

Below is superfluous info:

I had no issues with the Anniversary Update until the March 14, 2017 updates rolled out. Something in those updates hates my Microsoft user account and my systems in general. My laptop shut down last night after video editing finished encoding a file, and I booted up this morning to the Windows Defender 0x800b0100 error. Using Troubleshooting through Control Panel on any computer problem failed immediately with an error. I didn't write down what the error was, but I encountered this last week after a clean install and finalizing all Windows Updates including the updates from March 14 and ended up doing a repair install to fix it. I did a repair install today, and my laptop is up and running again with the Anniversary Update. Updates are slowly installing, so I expect to again have problems within a few days when it catches up to the March 14th updates.

The laptop is my main system I use for work, so I do not want to put an Insider build on it. I will just have to hope it is among the systems that the Creators Update hits first or that I can manually download the update the first day as I did with the Anniversary Update.

Xilnik, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start button stopped working - Similar Threads - Start button stopped

2. Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working: Hello,A couple of months ago, the start button on my desktop stopped working. Search, whether it be from the taskbar or file explorer, doesn't work either. Same thing with the icons at the right end of the taskbar clock, notifications, speaker volume. Clicking on them does...
  3. Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working: Hello,A couple of months ago, the start button on my desktop stopped working. Search, whether it be from the taskbar or file explorer, doesn't work either. Same thing with the icons at the right end of the taskbar clock, notifications, speaker volume. Clicking on them does...
  4. Windows 10 start menu button stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 start menu button stopped working: It suddenly stopped working, the windows key in my Keyboard doesn't do anything either. Is there a way to fix this or should I just wait for a Windows update for it to fix itself? submitted by /u/BenZ_osu [link] [comments]...
  5. Windows Start button randomly stops working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Start button randomly stops working: So whenever I click on the Start menu it doesn't open, my cursor will show a 'working in background' for about half a second. Also whenever I click Ctrl + I for the settings, it automatically closes itself out. I can open Task Manager with no issues though. P.S This happened...
  6. windows start button and search box stopped working

in Cortana
    windows start button and search box stopped working: windows start button and search box stopped working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-button-and-search-box-stopped/ad7b97bd-6e0d-4d84-a0f7-ea6634a7d8fe"
  7. Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working.: The Tray icons and Windows start button stop working at random times, when this happens nothing shows up when i click the icons. Does anyone know a fix for this issue? 26862
  8. "Start" virtual button & keyboard button stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    "Start" virtual button & keyboard button stop working: I just did a clean install on W10 and change my bios to UEFI (which it supports.) I'm having this intermittent problem with the Windows "Start" Button in the lower left. It just stops working - left clicking doesn't do anything, although right-clicking does. I just have the...
  9. Start-Button stops working after random time

in Windows 10 Support
    Start-Button stops working after random time: Hello! My start-button in windows 10 1511 becomes unresponsive after some time of working. The programs already running keep on running normally, but sometimes if this problem occurs, i can't open task-manager through ctrl-shift-esc, ctrl-alt-del doesn't work also. This...
  10. Start button has stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button has stopped working: Hey guys wondering if some of you can help me out. The start button on windows 10 has stopped working for me. It came right after I installed a new graphics card though in the days before I had noticed strange stuff like when I searched for an app and clicked on its icon...