Windows 10: start button stopped worrking

Discus and support start button stopped worrking in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The button in the Iower left corner, I think it's called the start button. When I click on it, nothing happens. What can I do? 45460 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by halcatalyst, Mar 27, 2016.

1. start button stopped worrking

The button in the Iower left corner, I think it's called the start button. When I click on it, nothing happens. What can I do?

:)

halcatalyst, Mar 27, 2016
  2. CJLim Win User

can't install anything on my n9

Maybe it is something you do after resetting that is causing the issue. Might be worth monitoring when it stops worrking again following a reset.

CJLim, Mar 27, 2016
  3. Security code useless ?

NSU will not remove the security code.

Nokia have put in these security features to stop people using the phone if the phone is stolen.

They would not make something as simple as this to bypass the security.

So you have nothing to worrk about there.

adamf---01, Mar 27, 2016
  4. start button stopped worrking

What have you tried so far

hTconeM9user, Mar 27, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Troubleshooting ................

Assuming RIGHT click at Start button still works:

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

davidhk, Mar 27, 2016
  6. I can't turn off the computer (which is a Lenovo Yoga 2). When I press and hold the computer power button, nothing happens. I would think this would be a way to turn off the computer, but apparently not. I thought about letting the battery drain, but I'd rather not do that. I don't really think it would work, but it's all I can think of. Obviously if I can't get to the place where Windows 10 shuts itself down, I'm hosed. I've looked around for a place on the initial screen to do that, but I don't see anything.

f the start button doesn/t work, I cxan't do that with Windows 10.)

7. davidhk Win User
    Don't drain your battery.
    Remove the battery from your laptop.
    Wait an hour or so, put the battery back > restart computer > see if any improvements occur.

davidhk, Mar 27, 2016
  8. Evol Win User

start button stopped worrking

I am Pretty sure on the yoga it isnt a removable battery.

2 Questions
    • Did this yoga come with windows 10.
    • if it didn't are you sure the drivers are compatible.

If you are trying to shutdown you can try using commands

• Press the windows key + R
    • type cmd
    • in Command Prompt type shutdown /s
    • hit the enter key

9. RWOne Win User
    Settings, system, power options, check the section on what the power buttons do, it may have reset, you want to ensure that the power button is set to shut down.

You say you can't click on the start button.

Ok, can you click on anything else and get a response?
    Right click on anything and get a response?

Did it come with W10? Or did you upgrade it?

When did the mouse stop working with the start button? did it ever work before (on 10?)

RWOne, Mar 27, 2016
  10. First, thanks to all but especially Evol. I used shutdown /s, the machine turned off,I rebooted and everything is normal.

11. rob10311 Win User
    I get this error:
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios

rob10311, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

start button stopped worrking

1. start button stopped worrking - Similar Threads - start button stopped

2. Store Not working; Feedback Hub Not Worrking

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Store Not working; Feedback Hub Not Worrking: I have been dealing with this for three years now. Very simply Microsoft Store does not work. In the interim, I have given hours to trying every remedy provided here. They have all failed. This is annoying, since some apps are exclusively distributed through the store. I have...
  3. Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working: Hello,A couple of months ago, the start button on my desktop stopped working. Search, whether it be from the taskbar or file explorer, doesn't work either. Same thing with the icons at the right end of the taskbar clock, notifications, speaker volume. Clicking on them does...
  4. Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working: Hello,A couple of months ago, the start button on my desktop stopped working. Search, whether it be from the taskbar or file explorer, doesn't work either. Same thing with the icons at the right end of the taskbar clock, notifications, speaker volume. Clicking on them does...
  5. Windows Start button randomly stops working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Start button randomly stops working: So whenever I click on the Start menu it doesn't open, my cursor will show a 'working in background' for about half a second. Also whenever I click Ctrl + I for the settings, it automatically closes itself out. I can open Task Manager with no issues though. P.S This happened...
  6. down arrow key not worrking

in Windows 10 Customization
    down arrow key not worrking: so this is a software problem. i know this cause the down arrow key for the on screen keyboard also doesn't work iv gone through the following trying to fix it iv; cleaned out my keyboard, uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it, reset my computer, and tried on screen...
  7. Start button stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button stopped working: I made some changes to my network settings in an attempt to determine what was preventing my desktop system from sleeping. I was restarting my system after each change, and now my Start button has stopped working. Microsoft Edge crashed immediately when opened one time prior...
  8. "Start" virtual button & keyboard button stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    "Start" virtual button & keyboard button stop working: I just did a clean install on W10 and change my bios to UEFI (which it supports.) I'm having this intermittent problem with the Windows "Start" Button in the lower left. It just stops working - left clicking doesn't do anything, although right-clicking does. I just have the...
  9. Start-Button stops working after random time

in Windows 10 Support
    Start-Button stops working after random time: Hello! My start-button in windows 10 1511 becomes unresponsive after some time of working. The programs already running keep on running normally, but sometimes if this problem occurs, i can't open task-manager through ctrl-shift-esc, ctrl-alt-del doesn't work also. This...
  10. Start button has stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button has stopped working: Hey guys wondering if some of you can help me out. The start button on windows 10 has stopped working for me. It came right after I installed a new graphics card though in the days before I had noticed strange stuff like when I searched for an app and clicked on its icon...