Windows 10: Start icon not working and Edge icon disapeared

Discus and support Start icon not working and Edge icon disapeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After a driver (I think one related to Intel graphics, but i am not shure) was unsuccesfully installed, I had a BSOD problem, hard restart, kernel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 101010, Aug 31, 2015.

1. 101010 Win User

Start icon not working and Edge icon disapeared

After a driver (I think one related to Intel graphics, but i am not shure) was unsuccesfully installed, I had a BSOD problem, hard restart, kernel error message (unable to reproduce it afterward). Some applications from taskbar partially work (Office, Skype), some not.
    I am unable to open the Start menu (but the right click still works). The Edge disapeared, I post from anothe PC.
    Restarted a few times, tried to restore to a previous backup of drivers - nothing helps.
    Pls suggest me some solution.
    Thank you.

:)

101010, Aug 31, 2015

2. Desktop stopped working and icon disapeared on Windows 10

My desktop view was no longer functioning when I started my pc. The icons are gone and the tiles on my start menu are there but resized on their own. The right click function does not work on the desktop. Any ideas?

ClareCutaiar, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Desktop stopped working and icon disapeared on Windows 10

Hi Clare,

As you are facing issues with accessing the icons and desktop, we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system that might have resulted in this?
    • Which is the current version of Windows 10 installed on your device?

Press Windows + R keys from the keyboard, type
    winver
    , and press Enter to know the Windows version installed.

This issue might have occurred due corrupted/ missing system files. Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to sign-out from the current user account, restart the computer, sign in and check with the status of this issue.

This will help you to install the pending updates on your device.

Step 2: I suggest you to run a SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checkeris a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Note: If you are not able to repair some files after performing SFC scan, I suggest you to refer to the point 3 “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to
    fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log”. Under the section “Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)” to repair the corrupted files after performing SFC scan.

Refer: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Step 3: I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of accessing the desktop icons and options on desktop for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Maerth Win User

I've got the exact same issue, it all started after a BSOD as well. None of the solutions I found worked (Powershell command etc). I also can't open windows store, I searched for it in explorer. Also tried creating a new account, which fixed the start menu but windows store still wasn't working.

Maerth, Sep 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Start icon not working and Edge icon disapeared - Similar Threads - Start icon working

2. microsoft excel icon has disapeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft excel icon has disapeared: Microsoft excel icon has disappeared and all excel files have been lost. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-excel-icon-has-disapeared/ea3d49f6-6c73-4270-9480-8e3c86cb5d92
  3. microsoft excel icon has disapeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    microsoft excel icon has disapeared: Microsoft excel icon has disappeared and all excel files have been lost. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-excel-icon-has-disapeared/ea3d49f6-6c73-4270-9480-8e3c86cb5d92
  4. Empty Edge icon in the Start Menu

in Browsers and Email
    Empty Edge icon in the Start Menu: Good morning. Since I updated to the latest Build 928 I disappeared the I Edge icon, I tried to restore the link to the Start menu even if you consider the "Add to Start" operation I get the same problem. I restored the image of the Build .867 Everything ok, when I upgrade to...
  5. Edge website icons issue in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge website icons issue in Start Menu: I have recently converted to Edge, but the icons for the website tiles that I pin to the start screen keep disappearing. I can get them back by re-pinning them to the start screen, but I have done this twice now, and it is tedious. Now, the icons have disappeared for a 3rd...
  6. start up icon is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start up icon is not working: Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. this above eroor is coming and asking me to sign out now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-icon-is-not-working/24899a21-9214-4e99-bec0-58349405f6fe
  7. Start menu icons not working.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu icons not working.: So, there is a program in my start menu which I deleted that wont go away. I've checked the folders where the start menu icons are located and found no remains of the particular programs' icon. Upon trying to click on the icon, it just gets highlighted and nothing happens....
  8. Windows start icon not working.

in Cortana
    Windows start icon not working.: I cant access windows icon to look or turn off my laptop, cortana not working either. I've turned off and on lots of times but still not working. I requested help from virtual assistant and received a call back but then was cut off. Could this be caused by last windows...
  9. Edge bookmarks disapearing

in Browsers and Email
    Edge bookmarks disapearing: I tried importing bookmarks directly from Chrome and tried importing from a file and get the same result with both. I have re-installed Windows Creators several times and still get the same results. Cleared everything from Edge and start over, same result. When I first...
  10. Icons disapearing from taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons disapearing from taskbar: hello there, does anyone know how to i can get my taskbar icons back? the icons are gone,the applicationsare still there but they are just blank spaces and this ONLY happens on the task bar, everywhere else is fine, and ive tried restarting my computer but that didnt work,...