Windows 10: Start menu, advanced using !! Why some shortcuts in it don't appear ? ;-

Discus and support Start menu, advanced using !! Why some shortcuts in it don't appear ? ;- in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everyone! Happy New Year 2020 I'm looking for info or rules about Windows 10 start menus below : 1 C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JClaude B, Jan 10, 2020.

1. JClaude B Win User

Start menu, advanced using !! Why some shortcuts in it don't appear ? ;-

Hello everyone!

Happy New Year 2020

I'm looking for info or rules about Windows 10 start menus below :

1 C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

2 C:\Users\%users%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

They react in a strange way, some shortcuts that are there don't appear see my screenshots... in french ;-

Is there any documentation on the subject?

Example, in the Windows administration tools menu.

The shortcut "Task Scheduler" which is in the folder "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"...

Start menu, advanced using !! Why some shortcuts in it don't appear ? ;- Program-Data-avec.png

But does not appear in the menu and the other shortcuts are there !!!

Start menu, advanced using !! Why some shortcuts in it don't appear ? ;- Menu-sans.png

If i put the shortcut "Task Scheduler" in the folder "C:\Users\%users%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"

Start menu, advanced using !! Why some shortcuts in it don't appear ? ;- User-avec.png

"Task Scheduler" appears in the start menu !!!

Start menu, advanced using !! Why some shortcuts in it don't appear ? ;- Menu-avec.png

It's very curious, why him and not the others...

Of course it's not a problem of shortcut properties !

Thank you for your collaboration

A+

Jean-Claude

:)

JClaude B, Jan 10, 2020

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Jan 10, 2020
  3. MDD0799 Win User
    How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Sergiy Shklyar - You are a genius. This is the solution for pinning a non-executable to the Start Menu. Many thanks.

MDD0799, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Gg001 Win User

Only certain shortcuts appear in Windows 10 Start Menu search

I added a number of custom shortcuts to my Start menu in Windows 7 and 8 for easy access (Start + typing to get to them) but only some of them appear in the results in Windows 10. For example, shortcuts to a specific folder don't appear (F:\My Project\Folder)
    but if I change it to Explorer (%windir%\explorer.exe /e,F:\My Project\Folder) it does. Does it only show .exe files? Shortcuts to .sln (Visual Studio solution files) or other data files don't appear. Also, some .bat files I have in my Documents folder
    also don't appear, but if I put a .txt file in the same folder it does. Are there settings for this filter?

Some information to head off suggestions:

• I don't have more than 512 entries in my Start menu. I already ran "get-startapps | measure" in PowerShell and it's 264. Also, the non-.exe shortcuts do appear in the All Apps menu, just not in search results.
    • It says "Indexing Complete" in the Indexing Options with thousands of results. It's not still working on it. It saw the text file and the shortcut I made point to Explorer immediately so it can see files in those folders.
    • In Indexing Options > Advanced > File Types everything is checked, including .sln and .bat files. I've also ran the troubleshooter, rebuilt the index, and waited for it to complete.

Gg001, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Start menu, advanced using !! Why some shortcuts in it don't appear ? ;- - Similar Threads - Start menu advanced

2. Why are icons of some applications are appearing in start menu but not search menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why are icons of some applications are appearing in start menu but not search menu?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/3w4fhzigtbra1.png?width=649&format=png&auto=webp&s=c86e5e7427ac69cabfd38af3090440d644db8d5f https://preview.redd.it/ynk9qyigtbra1.png?width=652&format=png&auto=webp&s=062ee9ea000bac08e84f0c9dccf322f553c0b38b...
  3. Start Menu Settings shortcut and files shortcut above the power options not appearing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Settings shortcut and files shortcut above the power options not appearing.: After I restarted my computer I noticed that the Windows Settings shortcut and Files shortcut weren't there. I recently uninstalled the Visual C++ thing but idk if that is what caused it....
  4. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  5. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Cortana
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  6. Not appearing start menu

in Cortana
    Not appearing start menu: Yesterday, i updated my windows 10 version 2004. when finished update and restart my laptop. After restart when i click start option i can't see program list because when i click start menu logo auto appear search option above start menu ! Even i am not seen shutdown option,...
  7. start menu not appearing

start menu not appearing: so my problem is that windows start menu is completely invisible, it still functions i can open apps by typing the name of the application and it will run. i have tried: DISM scan which said to not reveal any corruptions , i have tried a similar scan in power-shell which...
  8. Some applications don't appear in Open With menu

Some applications don't appear in Open With menu: In Windows 10 some applications don't appear in the Open With menu, requiring me open the "Choose another app" dialog via the bottom of the menu. Applications do get reliably added to the "Choose another app" list though. This happens with using VirtualDub to open MP4 files,...
  9. Start menu not appearing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu not appearing.: I changed out of Window S mode so that MS Office will work, but now Start menu will not appear when Start button is pushed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-not-appearing/9d72de98-ce1c-47da-af72-f50a54470740
  10. Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu: Hello. I have Sysinternals Autoruns installed. I created a shortcut to the executable, moved the shortcut to "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals Software", but it simply will not show in my start menu, even after a reboot (several...