Windows 10: Start Menu and Cortanna will not open

Discus and support Start Menu and Cortanna will not open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After going throw the activation process with Cortana, I found it impossible to open the start menu or use Cortana's search function. Ironically, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GXP10, Jun 30, 2015.

1. GXP10 Win User

Start Menu and Cortanna will not open

After going throw the activation process with Cortana, I found it impossible to open the start menu or use Cortana's search function.

Ironically, I was hear earlier about to submit this thread when it all decided to work... I closed the web browser and it worked for around 10s... then it decided to break again. My thread was lost :/

So, I have tried everything to get this to work. I've tried various pieces of code in Powershell, I've tried restarting Explorer.exe, I've tried finding the SearchUI service but I can't find it. It seems to have been merged, or it instantly closes itself on-click or on boot.

I also recieved a message telling me that to save any data lost, I need to sign out. It told me something along these lines "The Start Menu and Cortanas infastructure have ran into a problem. You must restart now to ensure you don't lose any data." It then showed the "Sign out" button, which I clicked, logged in and everything seems fine now, apart from this consistent problem.

So, any fixes are welcome *Smile

:)

GXP10, Jun 30, 2015

2. Start Menu and Edge, Store Not Opened

Start Menu and Edge, Store, Cortanna Not Opened

MariappanSudalai, Jun 30, 2015
  3. Cortanna help

when i click on the search it does not come up i can only search if i click start menu and then i can type and if i click settings nothing happens and cortanna does not work also in event viewer i have loads of errors about searchul and cortanna any fixes

daz99999999, Jun 30, 2015
  4. bromanbro Win User

For first problem, create a new MS Account via Settings (since you can't open Start, you gotta go Control Panel>User Accounts>change in PC Settings. Add a new email (one that already exists), restart, then login to new account. Don't touch desktop for 2-3 minutes, let it initilize completly. Then Start/Cortana should work.

bromanbro, Jun 30, 2015
  5. GXP10 Win User
    Then can switch back and it will work on my other account?

GXP10, Jun 30, 2015
  6. bromanbro Win User
    mm, don't know *Sad. Give it a try and see if it works for you first. It worked for me, but maybe I got lucky, or had a different issue.

bromanbro, Jun 30, 2015
  7. GXP10 Win User
    Well it worked for the new E-mail but it didn't work when I switched back :/

Also, my Download for preview build "10150"(?) is stuck because of a defender update which won't resolve either. I think my preview build is totally fuc.... Imgur /// Imgur

I'll just have to hope this updates works properly....

GXP10, Jun 30, 2015
  8. BillGates Win User

Start PowerShell > execute the following:
    Code: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}[/quote] Then Restart

BillGates, Aug 6, 2015
  9. dcam Win User
    I tried the above, but it does not work. It just sits there for hours on the first xml file as below:

Deployment operation progress: ....
    Initialized

I think that is part of the problem as when the Win10 install was initialising my account, it took ages and said it was taking longer than usual. I think there's some deeper problem with Get-AppXPackage not working as expected.

This works however, to print out the individual commands that would be run by the job:
    Code: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Write-Output "Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register ""$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"""}[/quote]

dcam, Aug 6, 2015
  10. dcam Win User
    I eventually got it working... it seems that powershell needed to be run as administrator with the -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted option, which can be done from task manager's File/Run new task

11. [/quote] While my issue is not on my listed PC it is on my Laptop (MSI Dominator Pro60GT) I'm extremely hesitant to re-install Windows due to last time I tried my Soft touch buttons (Fan speed, Back lit keyboard control, Airplane mode, and other useful quick access features became unusable. I had to uninstall, wipe the hard drive completely, Re-install windows 8, Add all functions and features and then reinstall 10. Tedious task for something as small as a broken start bar... I tend to run into this problem at least 3-4 times a month and for some reason my powershell never initialized. However having it execute it one by one was a life saver! My start bar works again! Hopefully it's a good fix... if not well I'll rage quite my laptop LOL

Silverfox15987, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu and Cortanna will not open - Similar Threads - Start Menu Cortanna

2. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  3. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  4. Start menu starts opening randomly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu starts opening randomly.: Hi! I have a windows tablet with broken touch that goes crazy sometimes, so i have disabled it. When im using tablet the start menu opens randomly sometimes. Is there a fix? submitted by /u/vukasin123king [link] [comments]...
  5. Cortanna wont work??

in Cortana
    Cortanna wont work??: Cortanna refuses to sign me in so i cant use her. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortanna-wont-work/a69db057-a229-45ca-88fd-19f1c9821ab9"
  6. Cortanna

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortanna: When setting up Cortana it asked for a Microsoft account. We hastily provided an account, but now want to change the Microsoft account affiliated with this installation of Cortana for this user on my new iPhone max XS.. Under the "About Me" section of the notebook, we can...
  7. Start Menu Appearance On Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Appearance On Open: Hello everyone. I've loved this sight and its Windows 7 counterpart for long time. Thank you for all the work you do and for the information you provide. My question is can I make the Start Menu open up like what is shown in the image below, instead of the long list of...
  8. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu: I can't open my start menu and when I try to open some stuff. It happened a week ago when I was away from pc *Mad Screen capture - 4d26d594ea04bc174b8336a6835b92d8 - Gyazo P.s when my mouse is over the win button i am pressing. 20768
  9. Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not opening: Trying to resolve this issue for a couple of days where the start menu doesn't open when its clicked on. I have seen other posts with this issue where its an issue with personalization settings under ms-settings. I am unable to open Ms-settings because I receive the error...
  10. Cannot open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open start menu: Hello, I have relocated my Users directory during the installation of Windows to another drive using tutorial from this forum. Everything worked perfectly. Then I wanted to upgrade the build, however due to the relocated User directory, the update failed. So I edited the...