Windows 10: Start menu and Edge disappearing

Discus and support Start menu and Edge disappearing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The mid October I went to click on the tray icon for Edge and it disappeared (leaving a blank location). The next time I clicked on the start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rsw153, Oct 28, 2018.

1. rsw153 Win User

Start menu and Edge disappearing

The mid October I went to click on the tray icon for Edge and it disappeared (leaving a blank location). The next time I clicked on the start menu icon it paused then popped up with the "Critical Error_ Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in.".

I tried the solution from 2016 where you log into safe mode and then restart into normal mode, but that didn't work any of the 3 times I tried it. I tried several of the other methods to no avail. For edge, the tray icon is still blank; trying to access it through the bing link does nothing, and it doesn't show up on the app list or in my programs anywhere. It will not let me reinstall it either from what I have found (tried online and through powershell).

sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth either did not start or didn't return anything being wrong. I rolled back the last update as well but that didn't fix it either. I'd rather not refresh the system and reinstall all the other apps if I didn't have to. Antivirus and malware software are not coming up with anything either. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

rsw153, Oct 28, 2018
  2. Jay Jap Win User

Edge disappeared and start menu not working on Windows 10

Hello Richard,

We need to do further investigation on your concern so that we can isolate the issue regarding Microsoft Edge and Start menu:

• Have you tried to searching in Cortana search to check if Edge can be located?
    • Besides powershell, what other troubleshooting steps have you performed?

In the meantime, you can download and run the
    Windows apps troubleshooter to isolate the issue on Edge.

We also suggest that you download and run the
    Start Menu troubleshooter to fix common Start menu issues.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Oct 28, 2018
  3. Start menu disappeared

I tried all the suggested steps without any improvement. What's next?

RonUmhoefer, Oct 28, 2018
  4. Start menu and Edge disappearing

start menu and Windows key stopped working and Edge disappeared

About two weeks after installing Windows 10 (migrating for 8.1) the start menu and Windows key stopped working and Edge disappeared form the task bar. I ran SFC/scannow, it found corrupt files but was not able to fix some. Any other suggestions?

ThomasJFletcher, Oct 28, 2018
Thema:

Start menu and Edge disappearing

1. Start menu and Edge disappearing - Similar Threads - Start menu Edge

2. Exe Icons disappear on Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Exe Icons disappear on Start Menu: As shown in picture, all exe applications excluding those from Microsoft store disappears on start menu. Even disappear in all Apps. I have tried some methods such as sfc/scannow, delete iconcache create another user account etc., but none of them work so far.Anyone has...
  3. start menu disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu disappeared: My list on the start menu list is gone how do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-disappeared/6666a5e1-2833-4dd1-b448-11b015e4587f
  4. my start menu disappeared

my start menu disappeared: Is there a simple fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-start-menu-disappeared/f8c0e2dd-41e7-4ff0-a2ae-c32d330d7f01
  5. Pinned items disappear in start menu

Pinned items disappear in start menu: I'm facing a problem recently. I pinned some softwares in start menu. But when I turned on my PC again, I saw that they are missing !!! I've pinned again and they disappeared again Would you like to tell me that what's the problem and how can I fix it?...
  6. SOLUTION - Start menu disappears, start menu will not open [Solved]

SOLUTION - Start menu disappears, start menu will not open [Solved]: PROBLEM STATEMENT: All of the sudden one day the Start Menu in Win 10 stopped working, clicking the button or pressing the Win key had no effect. After spending hours exploring all manner of weird and wonderful *hacks* on the Internets to no effect I have stumbled across...
  7. Icons on start menu disappears

Icons on start menu disappears: Hi! I'm having an issue where some the icons of the programs/apps I have pinned in the start menu disappears. Usually it's the chrome icon missing but it can change and be different ones every time I restart the computer. The icon shows up again after I select properties...
  8. Start menu icons disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons disappear: Some-to-most of my start menu icons keep disappearing. There's still a box there and if I hover over it, it will identify, and I can open the program by clicking on it. But the icon itself is gone. 112866
  9. Disappearing Settings Menu from Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappearing Settings Menu from Start: This morning, I noticed that the "File Explorer" and "Settings" menu items have disappeared from the Start menu. I manually typed in "Settings" and pinned it to the Start menu, but it showed up as a tile, which was not my intent. I removed the tile, and both "Settings" and...
  10. Disappearance of Start Menu Settings & Properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappearance of Start Menu Settings & Properties: CASE 1 [img] I noticed most articles contained Start Menu tab. Mine is not available here. CASE 2 [img] I only have 2 settings in Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). Where can I get the remaining settings? Kindly please assist my problem? Thanks and...