Windows 10: Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function

Discus and support Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sometimes Start menu and Search/Cortana buttons become frozen and only after hard boot they work. 19756 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hrant, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Hrant Win User

Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function

Sometimes Start menu and Search/Cortana buttons become frozen and only after hard boot they work.

:)

Hrant, Aug 27, 2015
  2. Rockiemo Win User

START AND SEARCH FUNCTIONS DO NOT WORK IN WINDOWS 10 - BUILD 10240

Start button will NOT function!!! I cannot find recovery function in this computer. Search function (Cortana) is non-functional. How can I initiate recovery and restore functionality of Start menu, search menu and access my power function, programs
    and apps??? HELP!!!

Rockiemo, Aug 27, 2015
  3. cortana and Edge do not function, Start Menu says Critical Error

Original title: Windows 10 repair

I downloaded windows 10 when it was first available. Now cortana and Edge do not function. Start Menu has pop up that says Critical Error....Sign out. How do I fix this??????

RobertLittle1712, Aug 27, 2015
  4. DocD Win User

I've had the same problem with the start menu being unresponsive after the latest updates.

I was in a game, & the sound just died. Alt tabbed to desktop, & noticed the start menu wouldn't come up. Tried to restart by right clicking the start menu icon, but it just stuck on the restarting window. Had to hard boot like you. Its happened twice today so far.

Ran SFC /Scannow, only to get the result that windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. A quick google search found this http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-resource-protection-found-corrupt-files

Currently running maintenance tasks, then will reboot & keep my fingers crossed the problem goes away.

5. Muffy Win User
    You'll want to print this off or write it down:

See here: Windows 10: How to uninstall preview updates

Be aware the restart will seem to take forever with a grey screen and the rotating dots but do not stop holding shift till the menu appears.
    The article mentions review version but just tested on my full Win10 Pro x64 rig.

Muffy, Sep 5, 2015
  6. oldie Win User
    Regrettably, since the Start Menu is unavailable I cannot Restart and Simultaneously press the Shift Button as recommended in the link. I can only turn off by using the power button.
    Full details on my post (3 posts before your reply!)

oldie, Sep 5, 2015
  7. Muffy Win User
    Press Ctrl, Alt and Delete at the same time to bring up the menu then click on the power icon
    hold shift and press restart that way ;-)

Muffy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function - Similar Threads - Start menu Search

2. Start menu, search function, notification center, and Cortana nonfunctioning after latest...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu, search function, notification center, and Cortana nonfunctioning after latest...: Since the last Windows 10 update I have had the following issues:Start menu will not openSearch menu doesn't work, can't even type anything in itSearch function in file explorer disabledSettings will not open: File system error -2018374635Notifications Center will not...
  3. Start menu, search function, notification center, and Cortana nonfunctioning after latest...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu, search function, notification center, and Cortana nonfunctioning after latest...: Since the last Windows 10 update I have had the following issues:Start menu will not openSearch menu doesn't work, can't even type anything in itSearch function in file explorer disabledSettings will not open: File system error -2018374635Notifications Center will not...
  4. Start menu, search function, notification center, and Cortana nonfunctioning after latest...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working: So I logged on my pc And i noticed all icons in task bar are gone so when i try to click the start menu its not working And when i put my cursor on the search My cursor becomes the loading thingyI tried restarting file explorer and it didnt workHelp...
  6. Start menu and Search function not accessible

Start menu and Search function not accessible: Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Build: 19042.985Hi;after the last Windows update 14/5 I cannot access my Start menu, nor use the search function. I am not sure if the update is the cause or not.Here is what I have tried so far:1. Restarting the computer.2. Ran SFC utility corrupt...
  7. Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu

in Cortana
    Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu: Hi, can anyone help me out with this? Start, Cortana, Edge & Search Menu are no longer working correctly after downloading Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.329 32 bitX64 for 86 based systems(KB 4512941) Aug 30 update. I've still got the start button & search bar but it...
  8. cortana search box and start menu optimization

in Cortana
    cortana search box and start menu optimization: Hi, Just suggesting the option to pin (or add) the cortana search box to the tile side of the start menu. ie. click start, input goes to cortana search box within start menu, enter search, all or half of tile side turn into regular cortana search menu with results. tbh I'm...
  9. Lost Start menu search function

Lost Start menu search function: I'm creating a custom image of Windows 10 Pro and am implementing my usual settings, programs and tweaks as I have with prior versions of Windows. I'm sure I'll have a few other questions along the way as I complete this task but my main problem is my Search function in...
  10. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Web searches, Start menu and Cortana: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research? Thanks Bye 44451