Windows 10: Start menu and Search function not accessible

Discus and support Start menu and Search function not accessible in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Build: 19042.985Hi;after the last Windows update 14/5 I cannot access my Start menu, nor use the search function. I am not sure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LaurenceTay, May 17, 2021.

1. Start menu and Search function not accessible

Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Build: 19042.985Hi;after the last Windows update 14/5 I cannot access my Start menu, nor use the search function. I am not sure if the update is the cause or not.Here is what I have tried so far:1. Restarting the computer.2. Ran SFC utility corrupt files found and fixed - but did not solve the issue3. Uninstalled the last Windows update.4. Ran the "indexer troubleshooter" no problems found5. Ran the DISM utility no errors6. Made sure "Allow apps to run in the background" is on.7. Repaired the Windows installation from ISO image.None of these has solv

:)

LaurenceTay, May 17, 2021

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, May 17, 2021
  3. Bill A57 Win User
    Windows 10 Start Menu, search and Cortana still not functioning correctly

I had some issues with Start Menu not functioning. this was solved in a post by a Microsoft Engineer Giridhar J. However, although the Start menu is now functioning along with the notifications. there are some glitches still.

I cannot pin folders to the start menu. Search and Cortana still does not work properly. Search is glitchy at best having to click on the start button then immediately click in the search box for it to work. Cortana does not work and is not listed as a app
    any more.

Any suggestions?

here is a screen shot of the start options

Start menu and Search function not accessible e74c651a-d870-41fe-86bc-aa4b64133493.jpg

Bill A57, May 17, 2021
  4. Start menu and Search function not accessible

Issues with accessing apps throuhg Start Menu and Search bar on windows10.

Hi Indrik,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message when you click on Start Menu?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in Microsoft Help Article about Start menu issues and also try to start Windows Search service. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to refer to the suggestion provided in the Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana:

Fix problems with the Start menu

Step 2: I suggest you to try to start Windows Search services
    and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "services.msc" without the quotes and click on it.

3. Search for Windows Search.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select
    Automatic.

5. Then click on Start button.

Note: If you are not able to change the Startup type, then continue starting the service by clicking on Start button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Start Menu and search bar, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, May 17, 2021
Thema:

Start menu and Search function not accessible

1. Start menu and Search function not accessible - Similar Threads - Start menu Search

2. Start menu, search, and other icons in taskbar no longer function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu, search, and other icons in taskbar no longer function: I recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Today, the first four icons in the task bar stopped responding to the mouse including the start menu and search function see image of affected icons. The start menu still opens when I push the appropriate key on my keyboard....
  3. Start Menu, Search Bar, Windows Store not functioning

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Start Menu, Search Bar, Windows Store not functioning: Good day, I recently tinkered around with folder/app permissions while trying to download some software, and it seems I broke a few things along the way. I am currently unable to use the start button on the bottom left pressing the windows Key doesnt work either, I cannot...
  4. Cannot access search bar in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access search bar in start menu: I cannot access the search bar in the start menu. Additionally, the multiple desktops icon on the taskbar is no longer available. This bug started yesterday, updating and restarting did not fix it. I would go to the searchbar, type in "microsoft feedback", and download the...
  5. Search function does not show files in start menu folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function does not show files in start menu folder: I mainly use the search function for quick access to files in my start folder. However, after I tried to index an external drive, the search does not show files in the start menu folder. If I for example write "Power" when looking for PowerPoint, it suggests Powershell and...
  6. Start menu not functioning

Start menu not functioning: I recently built a new PC and installed windows 10 on it. However, whenever the windows key or logo in the bottom left of the screen is clicked, the search bar disappears and nothing else happens....
  7. Start menu functions

Start menu functions: I'm running latest version of Windows 10. After a recent update the "Search" option in the Start button doesn't work. Also I've discovered that the "Command Prompt" and "Command Prompt (Admin)" don't work. I've looked around to try and reinstall the start menu but without...
  8. Lost Start menu search function

Lost Start menu search function: I'm creating a custom image of Windows 10 Pro and am implementing my usual settings, programs and tweaks as I have with prior versions of Windows. I'm sure I'll have a few other questions along the way as I complete this task but my main problem is my Search function in...
  9. Start Menu not functioning

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not functioning: Hi,Im Fatcat from Asia. Just installed Win 10 Ent. Found out that Start Menu which contains few functions refused to work - every time I click the items, it wont execute...please refer to the image. regards. [img] 22569
  10. Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function: Sometimes Start menu and Search/Cortana buttons become frozen and only after hard boot they work. 19756