Windows 10: Start menu and settings acting strangely + SFC scan failed

Discus and support Start menu and settings acting strangely + SFC scan failed in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello... So. I encountered a weird thing yesterday, and it's still happening. It's hard for me to explain what exactly is happening, so I apologise.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ethan404, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Ethan404 Win User

Start menu and settings acting strangely + SFC scan failed

Hello... So. I encountered a weird thing yesterday, and it's still happening. It's hard for me to explain what exactly is happening, so I apologise. Ignore typos, the keys on my keyboard need replacing

So, yesterday I went to the start menu and went to search for something, when I noticed it was acting strange. The search bar came up, but when I clicked on it, it would revert to being... inactive? And would keep doing this everytime I clicked on it, making me unable to type in it.
    I went to the apps tab in the search menu, and that was being weird as well - it was selecting each option as if I was holding down a key, if that makes sense.
    Opening the start menu, I can't seem to scroll down the list of recently added things - it will put me back up at the top of the list.

And finally with settings, going into anything makes the scroll bar freak out, causing the settings screen to shake up and down.

Again I'm not sure how to describe what I'm experiencing so I apologise.

So then I tried to find out what was causing it and if there were any issues - I ran a scan with Avast and MalwareBytes, both found nothing. I restarted my laptop, which actually fixed the problems, but then it came back a while later.

I then found out about SFC scan so I did that... and it failed at 84%, giving me an error.
    "0x8024001e" is the error it gave me.

I was thinking of doing an offline SFC scan as well, but I wanted to ask here first in case it's something else entirely. I don't know.

I can't say for sure if this is caused by something I installed, as I've only just noticed these issues, and they could have been happening for a while. But the only things I've installed recently are games.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

:)

Ethan404, Jan 29, 2020
  2. Hussein A Win User

Windows acting strangely and semi-locks up.

For the past couple of days my computer has been acting strange.

I would start it up and it works smoothly. Randomly into the session things go haywire all at once.

Windows:

• Cannot launch any apps.
    • ctrl-alt-dlt unresponsive.
    • Opening the Task Manager by right clicking the task bar unresponsive.
    • Opening the Control Panel or settings either unresponsive or just opens a blank window.
    • Shutdown, Restart and Sleep through the Start menu unresponsive.
    Browser (Chrome):

• The page would freeze. Whatever is on screen at the time is stuck there and I can't scroll. If watching a video at the time I would be able to hear the sound but the video freezes. After a while Chrome would crash the tab.
    Downloads (utorrent):

• Download speed would go from 1.5-2 MB/s to 9kbs and just stay there. utorrent would still be responsive though.
    The only way to get things back to normal is through a hard reboot.

I scanned the system using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Superantispyware AND Bitdefender. All scans normal.

I did an SFC scan and it did not show any errors.

Any ideas?

Hussein A, Jan 29, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 Start Menu Not Closing

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the step below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Check for the latest updates and install.

• Press Windows logo key +R, enter
      MS-settings:
      and then press OK. This opens Settings.

• In Settings, go to Update & security >
      Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.
    Step 2: I suggest you to run
    Start menu troubleshooter. After you've completed the troubleshooter, restart your device.

Step 3: I suggest you to perform
    System File Checker
    (SFC) scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Jan 29, 2020
  4. Start menu and settings acting strangely + SFC scan failed

Start menu and store not responding

Hi Vinit,

I would suggest that you run the SFC scan and check. Follow the below steps :

• Press Windows + X
    • Click Command prompt (Admin)
    • Type sfc /scannow
    • Press Enter
    Let us know if it helped to fix the issue.

Vinod Archak, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

Start menu and settings acting strangely + SFC scan failed

1. Start menu and settings acting strangely + SFC scan failed - Similar Threads - Start menu settings

2. Computer Acts Strange with the White Square in the Start Menu and Other Utilities.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer Acts Strange with the White Square in the Start Menu and Other Utilities.: My copy of Windows 10 is. making a weird glitch. There's this... white square which appears in the start menu, task bar, and when I plug headphones is. Depending on where it is, it auto scrolls, or outright refuses to let me press an option. I've restarted my keyboard...
  3. Strange behavior of the Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange behavior of the Start menu: You can add shortcuts in the start menu, alphabetical list, by adding them in the old start menu location. What is strange is that if you add several shortcuts to the same program with different parameters, only one appears on the list, why ? No idea. Anyway it appears with...
  4. Wallpaper acting strangely in task view and start

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wallpaper acting strangely in task view and start: My wallpaper is acting wired in the task view and start menu it is all distorted to the right. I'm running at 4k resolution. It seems not happening if I switch to a 1080p resolution. Any tips or solutions? submitted by /u/H_Hambs [link] [comments]...
  5. Strange Start Menu Behaviour

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Start Menu Behaviour: When I start typing in the start menu the black panel on the left with power settings etc disappears! How can I get this back to normal? https://ibb.co/1n7JyyH submitted by /u/My_Lucky-Day [link] [comments]...
  6. Sfc scan

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sfc scan: I am showing corrupt files that they could fix in sfc scan. I need instructions on how to fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scan/d9cc5dec-8de1-46b8-9d8a-949425a7d303"
  7. SFC scan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SFC scan: When I run SFC scan , cmd displays that corrupt files are found but was unable to fix some of them. Here is the screen shoot : What should I do ? [ATTACH] *Moved from Virus and Malware forums*...
  8. SFC scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SFC scan: When I run SFC scan , cmd displays that corrupt files are found but was unable to fix some of them. Here is the screen shoot : What should I do ? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/sfc-scan/4933511a-fad9-4b65-91d6-adbfd7717e07
  9. Strange Start Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Start Menu Icons: Hey guys, so I just reinstalled Windows 10 onto my brand new Dell Inspiron 15 3576 after taking it apart and installing a Samsung 850 EVO to replace the HDD it came with. Installing windows went off without a hitch, and I've downloaded the drivers and whatnot. However,...
  10. Start Menu opening issue along with corrupt files after SFC scan

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu opening issue along with corrupt files after SFC scan: As the title says, the start menu wasn't opening so I ran SFC /scannow that found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. I then ran RestoreHealth but I got a message saying, "Source file cannot be found". I restart, Start Menu works again but still have corrupt...