Windows 10: Start menu and settings does not open

Discus and support Start menu and settings does not open in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I tried sfc /scannow Tried dism online health restoretried the powershell get restore commanddid a disk check, but none of this resolved the start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ruben Roos, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Start menu and settings does not open

I tried sfc /scannow Tried dism online health restoretried the powershell get restore commanddid a disk check, but none of this resolved the start menu error.

:)

Ruben Roos, Jul 30, 2021
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Start menu and settings both wont open.

Hello Robert,

As per the description of the issue, you are unable to open both Windows Settings and Start menu. For us to resolve this issue, we suggest that you perform troubleshooting. Here's an

article
    that you can go to. In here, you'll see solutions to resolve Start menu issues.

To resolve Windows Settings issue, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Boot into Safe Mode.
    • Open a command prompt windows.
    • Type sfc/scannow, and then hit Enter.
    • Once it's finished, restart the computer to check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists after doing the steps above, kindly refer to this
    link
    for further troubleshooting.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Jul 30, 2021
  3. Ghot Win User
    Start Menu List - Settings

You need to go one step further...

Settings >Personalization > Start, then click as shown by the RED square...

Start menu and settings does not open [​IMG]

Start menu and settings does not open [​IMG]

4. angus Win User

Start menu and settings does not open

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jul 30, 2021
Thema:

Start menu and settings does not open

1. Start menu and settings does not open - Similar Threads - Start menu settings

2. Start Menu, Settings will not open. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu, Settings will not open. Windows 11: Just got a new PC.At first it worked fine. After a restart I was unable to make many basic interactions.While the taskbar is functional and I can open programs from it, I am unable to do the following:- Right Click programs to close/pin ect- Open the start menu. It simply...
  3. Windows 11 Start Menu does not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start Menu does not open: I have tried almost everything to fix this issue. The Windows key works, but the start menu won't open. I also tried using the CTRL + ESC shortcut.Please do not tell me to run chkdsk nor sfc, I have tried this already and numerous times. I tried updating my graphics card,...
  4. Windows 11 Start Menu does not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Start Menu does not open: I have tried almost everything to fix this issue. The Windows key works, but the start menu won't open. I also tried using the CTRL + ESC shortcut.Please do not tell me to run chkdsk nor sfc, I have tried this already and numerous times. I tried updating my graphics card,...
  5. Windows Start menu does not open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Start menu does not open: When I click Windows Start, I very briefly get a busy pointer, then nothing appears to happen.Are you able to help me, please?NB, google searching for "windows start menu doesn't open" and applying all the top 10 alleged fixes did not help.Thanks....
  6. Settings/start menu wont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings/start menu wont open: Hey new guy here my settings/start/volume/notifications wont open and apps wont open I've tried rebooting my windows explorer and didn't do anything my calculator app won't open either. I've been having alot of trouble with my account because my settings won't sync because it...
  7. Start menu and settings now opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and settings now opening: My windows 10 settings will not open. It will just close and my start menu will not open. It will ask me to sign out. I had this problem before, but not at the same time....
  8. Windows start menu does not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows start menu does not open: I am experiencing issue with Windows 10, that windows menu does not open on windows click nor on the Win key. Unlike of the older similar thread however, everything else works, including right-mouse button, pinned applications, etc - only start menu does not open. On first...
  9. Settings and Start Menu won't open!

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings and Start Menu won't open!: A couple days ago my computer started acting funky and the next day my settings would crash every time I would open it I have tried running the troubleshooters and all the commands in PowerShell and cmd but nothing seems to work. Also, my start menu won't open even if I do...
  10. Can't open settings + start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open settings + start menu not opening: Having issues opening my start menu/settings. Cannot use hotkeys to open them nor cmd prompts. Can still run task manager but I am having issues resolving this problem. I have tried creating a new user and switching to that account but no dice. Any help would be immensely...