Windows 10: Start Menu and Settings not working after failed update undid it's changes

Discus and support Start Menu and Settings not working after failed update undid it's changes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A couple days ago, Steam could not finish downloading an update because "Corrupt Disk". I went to my C: drive's Properties -> Tools and clicked on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PeterS_037, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Start Menu and Settings not working after failed update undid it's changes

A couple days ago, Steam could not finish downloading an update because "Corrupt Disk". I went to my C: drive's Properties -> Tools and clicked on Error Checking. Error Checking confirmed that it also found errors and offered to repair them. I accepted, but as the system was restarting, the Windows update that had been pending decided that that was a good point to begin running. After the disk corruption process, the computer said that it couldn't complete the update and was undoing the changes made. However, when I logged back in, I was unable to open the Start Menu, use the search bar and when I tried to get into my Settings via right-clicking on the desktop and clicking Display Settings, Windows throws up an error that says.

"ms-settings:display

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page."

I have tried many things to fix this problem, such as:

Going into the Command Line as an administrator and running

sfc /scannow

Which always stops at 47% of the way through the verification phase with the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

Running

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Gives the message "The component store is repairable", but when I run

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It stops at 11.3 or 11.4% with the message:

"Error: 4448

The WOF driver encountered a corruption in the compressed file's Resource Table"

I also downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool to try and repair install Windows, but when the computer restarts it says it's undoing the changes made and then when I log in it says it failed and gives the message:

"0x8007001F - 0x20006

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the REPLICATE_OC operation."

When I boot in safe mode and log in it gives the message:
    "explorer.exe - System Warning
    Unknown Hard Error"

Both my system restore points are corrupted as well.

My CBS.log is here.

My dism.log is here.

Thank you in advance for your much needed help!

:)

PeterS_037, Oct 23, 2020
  2. Darshan J Win User

Start menu not working

Hello Barry,

Please help us with the below information to help you better.

• Have you installed all the pending updates on your system?
    • Did you make any recent software/hardware changes to your computer?

As an initial troubleshooting step I would suggest you to install all the pending updates on your system and if you are using Microsoft account suggest you to sign out and sign in again and check if resolves the issue.

I suggest you to perform Start menu troubleshooter
    from the below article and check if it help in addressing your issue.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Darshan J, Oct 23, 2020
  3. cannot update to 1903 - windows undoing changes

thanks for that

i followed the steps as suggested but it failed again and Undid the update

Attached is the screenshot of what I got when I booted back into windows

- - - Updated - - -

btw i just checked and i have 24.5gb free on the C drive

I will use mini partition tool to increase this to over 30 if we think that will help

bartjunited, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Start Menu and Settings not working after failed update undid it's changes

Start menu and action center is not working in Windows 10

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• What is the exact issue that you’re facing with Start menu?

• Are you not able to open Start menu?

• Are you getting any error message?
    I suggest you to follow the step below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Check for the latest updates and install.

• Press Windows logo key +R, enter
      MS-settings:
      and then press OK. This opens Settings.

• In Settings, go to Update & security >
      Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.
    Step 2: I suggest you to run
    Start menu troubleshooter. After you've completed the troubleshooter, restart your device.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Start Menu and Settings not working after failed update undid it's changes

1. Start Menu and Settings not working after failed update undid it's changes - Similar Threads - Start Menu Settings

2. The Settings app and half of the Start menu doesn't work after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Settings app and half of the Start menu doesn't work after update: Good evening.I had this problem two times, first time I just reinstalled my system and it helped. After update, the explorer doesn't start immediately and it hangs for about a minute, and after it's loading I can't change my volume, open notifications, or change my keyboard...
  3. The Settings app and half of the Start menu doesn't work after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Settings app and half of the Start menu doesn't work after update: Good evening.I had this problem two times, first time I just reinstalled my system and it helped. After update, the explorer doesn't start immediately and it hangs for about a minute, and after it's loading I can't change my volume, open notifications, or change my keyboard...
  4. Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update: So yesterday after a BSOD error my pc restarted and it aumatically updated, the problem is my settings and start up menu seem to have been deleted. How can I fix this issue without having to delete everything from my computer? I'd like to keep files and installed applications...
  5. Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update: So yesterday after a BSOD error my pc restarted and it aumatically updated, the problem is my settings and start up menu seem to have been deleted. How can I fix this issue without having to delete everything from my computer? I'd like to keep files and installed applications...
  6. Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Start menu not working after Windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu not working after Windows update: Okay, I know this issue has existed already but my Start menu stopped working after last night's update. My apps for work (Slack, Zoom) and Chrome are fine but I couldn't view the volume icons as well and everything in the task bar. I also got an error message when I attempt...
  8. setting & start menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting & start menu not working: In my pc has a problem right now but I can't do anything at this moment. please help me. The problem is setting & start menu not working, it automatically off....
  9. Start menu not working after last update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu not working after last update: I have Windows 10 and after the last forced update I cannot access my start menu. The key at the bottom left of my screen does nothing when clicked, quick access on my keyboard also gets no response. I have run several cleanup tasks including an sfc through powershell and...
  10. Start Up menu is not working after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start Up menu is not working after update: I tried updating to Windows 10 version 1903 and it wasn't successful. It said the error was "Potential Database error detected." The other day, my notebook wasn't able to shutdown properly because the battery got drained. I didn't know if it was updating or what but when I...