Windows 10: Start Menu and Settings not working after simultaneous corruption repair and Windows update

Discus and support Start Menu and Settings not working after simultaneous corruption repair and Windows update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A couple days ago, Steam could not finish downloading an update because "Corrupt Disk". I went to my C: drive's Properties -> Tools and clicked on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PeterS_037, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Start Menu and Settings not working after simultaneous corruption repair and Windows update

A couple days ago, Steam could not finish downloading an update because "Corrupt Disk". I went to my C: drive's Properties -> Tools and clicked on Error Checking. Error Checking confirmed that it also found errors and offered to repair them. I accepted, but as the system was restarting, the Windows update that had been pending decided that that was a good point to begin running. After the disk corruption process, the computer said that it couldn't complete the update and was undoing the changes made. However, when I logged back in, I was unable to open the Start Menu, use the search bar and when I tried to get into my Settings via right-clicking on the desktop and clicking Display Settings, Windows throws up an error that says.

"ms-settings:display

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page."

I have tried many things to fix this problem, such as:

Going into the Command Line as an administrator and running

sfc /scannow

Which always stops at 47% of the way through the verification phase with the message"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

Running

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Gives the message "The component store is repairable", but when I run

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It stops at 11.3 or 11.4% with the message:

"Error: 4448

The WOF driver encountered a corruption in the compressed file's Resource Table"

I also downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool to try and repair install Windows, but when the computer restarts it says it's undoing the changes made and then when I log in it says it failed and gives the message:

"0x8007001F - 0x20006

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the REPLICATE_OC operation."

When I boot in safe mode and log in it gives the message:
    "explorer.exe - System Warning
    Unknown Hard Error"

Both my system restore points are corrupted as well.

My CBS.log is here.

My dism.log is here.

Thank you in advance for your much needed help!

:)

PeterS_037, Oct 23, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Start Menu

Hi Willy,

One possible factor why Start menu was not working properly due to corruptions. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes aside from updating your Windows?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article by clicking on this

link
    . This will let you restart your device, create a new local administrator account, reset your computer and download and run the Start menu troubleshooter. You may also perform the instructions in this article:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
    that will allow you to scan for corruptions and restore corrupted files.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Oct 23, 2020
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Please Help ME .... , Urgent Windows 10 after update menu start and menu setting not working.

Hi Arief,

A corrupted user profile can cause issues with the Start menu and the Settings app. We suggest creating a new local administrator account by carefully following the steps

here
    . If you can use the Start menu and the Settings app properly while logged into the newly-created user profile, it means your old profile was corrupted.

Additionally, since you mentioned that this only happened after installing a recent update, we suggest using system restore to take your computer back to an earlier point in time. You can find the steps for doing a system restore in this

article

Let us know if your Start menu and Settings work properly after following these steps.

Yolvi Ell, Oct 23, 2020
  4. zbook Win User

Start Menu and Settings not working after simultaneous corruption repair and Windows update

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Start Menu and Settings not working after simultaneous corruption repair and Windows update

1. Start Menu and Settings not working after simultaneous corruption repair and Windows update - Similar Threads - Start Menu Settings

2. Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update: So yesterday after a BSOD error my pc restarted and it aumatically updated, the problem is my settings and start up menu seem to have been deleted. How can I fix this issue without having to delete everything from my computer? I'd like to keep files and installed applications...
  3. Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update: So yesterday after a BSOD error my pc restarted and it aumatically updated, the problem is my settings and start up menu seem to have been deleted. How can I fix this issue without having to delete everything from my computer? I'd like to keep files and installed applications...
  4. Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows start menu and settings not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows start menu and settings not working: The other night I updated my computer and went to bed. When I woke up, I started it up and the update needed to finish for a minute and then led me to the sign in screen. I entered my password and was stuck on the loading screen for a while, so I just turned my computer off...
  6. Windows start menu and settings not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows start menu and settings not working: The other night I updated my computer and went to bed. When I woke up, I started it up and the update needed to finish for a minute and then led me to the sign in screen. I entered my password and was stuck on the loading screen for a while, so I just turned my computer off...
  7. Start menu not working after Windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu not working after Windows update: Okay, I know this issue has existed already but my Start menu stopped working after last night's update. My apps for work (Slack, Zoom) and Chrome are fine but I couldn't view the volume icons as well and everything in the task bar. I also got an error message when I attempt...
  8. setting & start menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting & start menu not working: In my pc has a problem right now but I can't do anything at this moment. please help me. The problem is setting & start menu not working, it automatically off....
  9. Start Menu and Settings not working after simultaneous corruption repair and Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start Menu and Settings not working after simultaneous corruption repair and Windows update: A couple days ago, Steam could not finish downloading an update because "Corrupt Disk". I went to my C: drive's Properties -> Tools and clicked on Error Checking. Error Checking confirmed that it also found errors and offered to repair them. I accepted, but as the system was...
  10. Windows Search not working, Start Menu corrupted

in Cortana
    Windows Search not working, Start Menu corrupted: After some Windows updates, my search does not seem to find anything not on C drive. I have multiple games installed on a secondary harddrive E through steam, and other programs, however the only stuff it seems to find is what there is either a shortcut to on my desktop, or...