Windows 10: Start menu and Settings Panel not working

Discus and support Start menu and Settings Panel not working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As I booted up my Pc this morning, I realised that for some reason Start menu is not working at all and also settings panel tries to load in then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MateMicsko, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Start menu and Settings Panel not working

As I booted up my Pc this morning, I realised that for some reason Start menu is not working at all and also settings panel tries to load in then disappears.

I used the pc for 10 minutes before I realised it. Google Chrome and Spotify works perfectly. Also League of Legends client works as well and updated successfully. Then I tried to check my internet settings when settings panel couldn't load in.

Tried the Powershell solution, which said that it found some errors but fixed it so I just restarted the computer, but it is still not working.

If I remember well, the last Windows update was like a week ago, but I can't check it, because it's part of the settings panel. Also I couldn't run cmd from windows key+Q.

I tried to log out and log in. Didn't work.

I think a Windows update caused this, because im sure i don't have any virus on my pc.

Do I need to reinstall Windows or is there any solution for the problem?

:)

MateMicsko, Jun 24, 2020

2. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Jun 24, 2020
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jun 24, 2020
  4. Karla Alm Win User

Start menu and Settings Panel not working

Windows 10 - start menu/settings/date/calendar/cortana not working

To look for your OS build and version, follow these steps:

• Click Start menu.
    • Type Control Panel > System and Security.
    • Click System on the options listed.

Looking forward to your response.

Karla Alm, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

Start menu and Settings Panel not working

1. Start menu and Settings Panel not working - Similar Threads - Start menu Settings

2. Windows start menu and settings not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows start menu and settings not working: The other night I updated my computer and went to bed. When I woke up, I started it up and the update needed to finish for a minute and then led me to the sign in screen. I entered my password and was stuck on the loading screen for a while, so I just turned my computer off...
  3. Windows start menu and settings not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows start menu and settings not working: The other night I updated my computer and went to bed. When I woke up, I started it up and the update needed to finish for a minute and then led me to the sign in screen. I entered my password and was stuck on the loading screen for a while, so I just turned my computer off...
  4. Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work: The past few weeks, I cannot click on the windows start menu, I cannot get into settings or any windows functions. I have endlessy looked up videos/tips/tricks and NOTHING works- everything that is suggested to try, I can't because I cannot get into the Windows settings to...
  5. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  6. setting & start menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting & start menu not working: In my pc has a problem right now but I can't do anything at this moment. please help me. The problem is setting & start menu not working, it automatically off....
  7. Start menu and settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu and settings: Hi , i recently upgraded my windows 10 version from 1903 to 1909 with update assistant. I got to the point where the update asks you whether to upgrade now or later and choose later. i later on restarted to upgrade (which was incredibly faster than normal updates) but then...
  8. Settings app and start menu not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Settings app and start menu not working: I've had this problem since an update released near the 8th of October, even after the latest updates the start menu still results in a critical error, I would try to factory reset my pc and just see if it fixes it but I have no idea how to as I can't open settings. I've also...
  9. start menu, setting menu, ms edge not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu, setting menu, ms edge not working: i have a surface pro 2017 i5 128GB very low responding and windows keep updating very often, so i decided to do a reset delete all files, i didn't do the backup since i think that setting etc was not best after reset, i found the start menu, setting menu, search, not...
  10. start menu settings

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu settings: is it possible to change the start menu settings for the number of items in the jump menus? when i go into the taskbar and navigation menu through the control panel, i don't get a tab to switch to the start menu's settings. 44421