Windows 10: Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10.

Discus and support Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all I have a an Asus desktop PC running windows 10, my son was playing minecraft last night and said that firefox came up wityh an error message,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by strider212, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10.

Hi all
    I have a an Asus desktop PC running windows 10, my son was playing minecraft last night and said that firefox came up wityh an error message, and then the start menu and taskbar stopped working, also all of the icons have gone from the task bar and stardock fences that was on the desktop sreen has reset to default and removed all of the fences.

I have tried to update windows 10, i have been in to powershell and attempted to create another account, but it will not allow me to do so, i have also tried to reset windows 10, again it will not allow me to that either ....

Any ideas ???

Thanks in advance.

:)

strider212, Nov 16, 2016

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Nov 16, 2016
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    start menu and taskbar not working in windows 10

Hi Brian,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

1. Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?

2. Do you get any error message?

3. When you say toolbar are you referring to Start Menu?

Once you are on the desktop, install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

I suggest you to refer the link suggested by M. Hamer on February 20, 2016
    and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-start/troubleshoot-problems-opening-the-start-menu-

or/51638e84-b39a-4a2a-be27-e1e3d9d5acba?tm=1455936943766&rtAction=1455936939417

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Pavan_N, Nov 16, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10.

Welcome to the forum strider.
    Right click on Taskbar, expand Cortana and untick Hidden and tick as shown.

dencal, Nov 16, 2016
  5. Thanks for the reply..
    Its not just the search bar, the start menu does not work at all, i cant type into the search bar for cortana the icons for edge etc have gone and i cant open the call out symbol on the right hand side either to open the action centre ??

strider212, Nov 16, 2016
  6. dencal Win User
    You state you have tried a reset, did you do it as following..... if not try it now.
    Start computer, Restart (it must be restart) while holding the Shift Key. this will bring up rescue options.

dencal, Nov 16, 2016
  7. Yes i have done this, it does some thinking and then comes up with an error that itcant continue, it seems that every attempt to make a change is blocked, as it wont allow me to create a further account either.

strider212, Nov 16, 2016
  8. dencal Win User

Can you open task manager?...to see what is running in processes....if anything suspicious click on End Task.
    Then Disconnect router by turning OFF power.....reconnect router and try starting computer.

Another thing you can try is turn on computer then hold down button, do this several times to start a Windows recovery, usually starting with a disk check.

dencal, Nov 16, 2016
  9. Nope tried all these steps still nothing. ?? i have looked elswhere as well and found a video on you tube on how to reset the PC but it just wont let me do any thing??

strider212, Nov 16, 2016
  10. dencal Win User
    dencal, Nov 16, 2016
  11. strider212, Nov 16, 2016
  12. dencal Win User
    You are welcome....good luck

dencal, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10. - Similar Threads - Start menu taskbar

2. Windows 10: Taskbar and start menu not working on laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Taskbar and start menu not working on laptop: I need some advice/help please. Since yesterday the taskbar on my Lenovo Iddeapad Flex5 laptop has not worked properly. I can't click on the Start button, I can't type in the search bar that I have in the taskbar, and any apps that are open do not appear in the taskbar. The...
  3. Windows 10: Taskbar and start menu not working on laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10: Taskbar and start menu not working on laptop: I need some advice/help please. Since yesterday the taskbar on my Lenovo Iddeapad Flex5 laptop has not worked properly. I can't click on the Start button, I can't type in the search bar that I have in the taskbar, and any apps that are open do not appear in the taskbar. The...
  4. Windows 10: Taskbar and start menu not working on laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Taskbar/start menu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar/start menu not working: have Windows 10, it was working great since upgraded. Today I turn it on and now when I click the Start button or Windows key, the mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able to use the search bar, and I can't right click apps...
  6. Taskbar/start menu not working

Taskbar/start menu not working: have Windows 10, it was working great since upgraded. Today I turn it on and now when I click the Start button or Windows key, the mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able to use the search bar, and I can't right click apps...
  7. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up: Hi there,I have a problem with my pc.When i start up windows 10, i can log-in and i get to my desktop, but my start menu and taskbar still need to load in for 5-10 mins. Ive tried resetting the pc, getting a new one and using windows 11 bypass TPM 2.0 and secure boot on...
  8. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up: Hi there,I have a problem with my pc.When i start up windows 10, i can log-in and i get to my desktop, but my start menu and taskbar still need to load in for 5-10 mins. Ive tried resetting the pc, getting a new one and using windows 11 bypass TPM 2.0 and secure boot on...
  9. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Start menu and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu and taskbar not working: My system has lately been experiencing issues with the Start menu and taskbar. When I power my device on and click on the Start button, the menu doesn't appear. I can right click on the Start button or press Win + X to get to my properties, but left clicking does nothing. The...