Windows 10: Start menu and taskbar not working

Discus and support Start menu and taskbar not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system has lately been experiencing issues with the Start menu and taskbar. When I power my device on and click on the Start button, the menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Brian Ternes, May 21, 2020 at 12:32 PM.

1. Start menu and taskbar not working

My system has lately been experiencing issues with the Start menu and taskbar. When I power my device on and click on the Start button, the menu doesn't appear. I can right click on the Start button or press Win + X to get to my properties, but left clicking does nothing. The same is also occurring for the date/time icon and the Notifications/Action Center icon. If I restart, then the Start button works but the other two icons may still be broken. If I shut down and then start the system back up, the issue continues to occur. I've ensured that all Windows updates are installed, all services related to the Start menu and taskbar are up and running, and that my profile is not corrupt. I've tried running numerous tests with Powershell and CMD but to no avail. If I had to guess, the issue began shortly after installing the cumulative update in April KB4549951. After the cumulative update for May was released, I installed it and hoped it would resolve the issue, but it didn't. Other users have started reporting the same issue to me, but no one seems to have reported it online yet. We are using a wide variety of devices including laptops, desktops, and Surfaces. All of our machines run Intel processes and are on Windows 1909 Build 18363.836. One user ran a repair through Windows and it seemed to resolve the problem for them, but I would like to avoid having to reinstall several programs for everyone impacted by this. Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

2. Pavan_N Win User

Start menu and taskbar not working.

Hi Deva,

Thank you for updating.

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope the Start menu works after performing the steps suggested. Thank you.

3. Riel Alc Win User
    Taskbar - Search Icon does not work, Start Menu missing, Right click does not work, no "Taskbar and Start Menu" in control panel

Hi,

Here are the possible causes why Taskbar and Start menu don't work:

• Corrupted user profile
    • Corrupted or missing system files

Since running SFC didn't resolve the issue, we suggest creating a new user account
    to recreate your Taskbar and Start menu.

We would appreciate an update about how it went.

4. Naki Win User

Start menu and taskbar not working

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

Start menu and taskbar not working

1. Start menu and taskbar not working - Similar Threads - Start menu taskbar

2. Start Menu, Taskbar and other buttons not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu, Taskbar and other buttons not working: I recently have been getting problems with my Windows 10 PC where the taskbar itself works fine, but clicking on the Start Menu button, volume button or wifi button does absolutely nothing and nothing appears. I'm unable to access any settings because my Start Menu doesn't...
  3. Taskbar/Start Menu Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar/Start Menu Issue: My task bar/start menu will not open. Type to search - nothing. On top of that Outlook will not send and receive. Any ideas? submitted by /u/jstyer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fkwv85/taskbarstart_menu_issue/
  4. Surface book start menu and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface book start menu and taskbar not working: Can hou please help me? I have bought a second hand surface book with clean win 10. Then I started it the taskbar, start menu and Cortana Is not working. I have tried multiple fixes on Google but nothing helps, and I need the computer for my school work! Best regards...
  5. Start Menu and Taskbar customization

Start Menu and Taskbar customization: Hi everyone, Does anyone have recommendations on how to customize the start menu and taskbar for a deployment image? I've tried customizing the start menu and taskbar, then exporting the configuration into a XML, but the start menu appears in two columns when I want it half...
  6. Start Menu and Taskbar customization

Start Menu and Taskbar customization: Hi everyone, Does anyone have recommendations on how to customize the start menu and taskbar for a deployment image? I've tried customizing the start menu and taskbar, then exporting the configuration into a XML, but the start menu appears in two columns when I want it half...
  7. Start Menu and Taskbar customization

in Windows 10 Support
  8. Taskbar buttons and start menu do not work

in Cortana
    Taskbar buttons and start menu do not work: I try to go into my battery life, but it doesn't open the tab. This is the same for: - Network - Windows Defender - "type here to search" - microphone - cortana I recently just reset my surface pro 4 on windows. This only occurred after resetting my laptop they don't...
  9. Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10.: Hi all I have a an Asus desktop PC running windows 10, my son was playing minecraft last night and said that firefox came up wityh an error message, and then the start menu and taskbar stopped working, also all of the icons have gone from the task bar and stardock fences...
  10. Windows Start Menu and Taskbar Don't Work

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start Menu and Taskbar Don't Work: Hi, on occasion when I mouse over either the start bar or the taskbar it doesn't change colour like it usually does (the little blue background it changes to for instance) and it doesn't let me click on them. As well as this, it doesn't let me click on any window that isn't...