Windows 10: Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating

Discus and support Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I tried customizing my Start menu - removing the tiles, that I didn't need and trying to add the ones that I wanted. After every restart it resets to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AleksGolotvinov, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating

I tried customizing my Start menu - removing the tiles, that I didn't need and trying to add the ones that I wanted.

After every restart it resets to the default one. It even displays the applications that I previously uninstalled. Also "My computer" cannot even be added there. It says it has been added to the Start menu, but it doesn't appear there.

I obviously removed all the bloatware by Microsoft, but it still appears there for some reason (used Bulk Crap Uninstaller to really remove the PUPs).

Screenshot: Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating 222c52af-8d43-4acf-a73a-f0e9424ef413?upload=true.png

It's a CLEAN installation of Windows - Brand new notebook, first configure. All updates done (but it was bugged even before the updates).

System info:

notebook Lenovo E580

CPU: Core i7 8550U

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 550

Storage: SSD

Tried rearranging it many times, tried many reboots, manually installed new updates, ....

... nothing works.

:)

AleksGolotvinov, Jan 15, 2019
  2. Jaune Bel Win User

How to reset the tile layout in the start menu

Hi,

We would like to know more about your concern with resetting the tile layout in the Start menu. Kindly answer the following:

• Is your computer connected in a domain?
    • Which build of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Have you tried the steps given by DaveM121 on a different user profile?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Jaune Bel, Jan 15, 2019
  3. d88david Win User
    Adding OneDrive tile to start menu .xml with GPO

Hi Yasir,

Thank you for getting back to me but I have seen that suggestion which will not work for me. That steps suggested to do it manually which I'm trying to pin it to the start layout tile using .xml file via GPO. Below is the path where the OneDrive shortcut
    that I'm trying to pin to the start layout tile.

<startStart Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OneDrive.lnk" />

d88david, Jan 15, 2019
  4. Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating

Start menu tiles layout savefile?

Hello tin Welcome to the Ten Forums!

I hate to say this but.... There isn't actually any configuration file to find. You have the option to pin or unpin items to the Start tile area as you would on the main task bar. When going to make a few changes perhaps a slight pictorial at how to do things can help here!

Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating [​IMG]

As always it looks a little clumsy with all the tiles that come pre-pinned and you would rather rearrange and possibly even resize things along with putting them into separate categories?! Have a look at how that would look instead of the first mess seen there.

A slight change of appearance wouldn't you say? And how is that done? First the Start tile area can be clicked and dragged to an extent in order to see that resized by clicking on and holding an edge either horizontal or vertical. First you may want to resize things like the tiles themselves if you are not looking to take up the entire screen.

Some like Edge will see the options for Large and Wide and when using Small things can be packed in rather tightly.

You will also notice that the entire area has been reshaped as mentioned before by clicking and grabbing the edge as seen in the lower right corner for vertical there. So we went from this....

to this in a matter of minutes!

And for something different from the default Windows automatically adjusts all we can change a few other things as well. How about the background? Transparent or Solid color or theme you choose or create?

For something like that or for the option of manually choosing a color for both taskbar and Start menu you have to turn something off in the Start>Settings>Personalization dept.

All this is done manually each time you run across the default tiles if you should happen to see any upgrade to repair install or reset action to bring 10 back to Square #1. Desktop themes and such are not stored in the same fashion seen in previous versions.

Night Hawk, Jan 15, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating

1. Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating - Similar Threads - Start Menu Bug

2. Bug with the start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bug with the start menu tiles: Hello community,in the image below you can see a bug with the start menu tiles. I can't remove them nor move them around or interact in some way. I just have the context menu with "More-> Deactivate Live-Tiles" if this is the correct translation.How can I fix/remove it?...
  3. Bug with the start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bug with the start menu tiles: Hello community,in the image below you can see a bug with the start menu tiles. I can't remove them nor move them around or interact in some way. I just have the context menu with "More-> Deactivate Live-Tiles" if this is the correct translation.How can I fix/remove it?...
  4. Bug with the start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu tiles bug

Start menu tiles bug: My pc was working pretty slow so i decided to reset it. After reset everything was good when i noticed that the start menu tiles were messed up. Few tiles were overlapped on one another and while trying to seprate them the start menu...
  6. Start Tile Layout

Start Tile Layout: This is about start menu customization that is on a "Golden Image" and pushed out to Horizon virtual desktops. Hopefully this is the best forum for it! When building my images I have always used powershell Export-StartLayout and Import-StartLayout in order to provide a custom...
  7. Backup start menu tile layout

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup start menu tile layout: Hi all, I have quite a few websites installed as fake apps via Microsoft Edge these days.I access all of these via pinned icons on the Windows 10 start menu. I've had issues before where a Windows 10 update or Edge update has wiped out these websites installed as fake apps,...
  8. [HELP][BUG] Start Menu is merging all tiles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP][BUG] Start Menu is merging all tiles: [ATTACH] BUG: As you can see those tiles, it is merged. If there is/are no texts in between, they will merge... The Game tiles are also placed at the back of "Discord, MS Teams, and Slack" which it can't be seen in the first screenshot(Figure 1). I have already...
  9. Start menu tiles layout savefile?

Start menu tiles layout savefile?: after updag win7 to win10 i immediately customized my start menu tiles and it looked really awesome while still being organised. After encountering numerous problems with poorly migrated programs i did a fresh install ( like a month ago) and havent been able to find that same...
  10. Start Menu Tiles not Updating.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Tiles not Updating.: Any solutions when the start menu tiles are not updating/changing. The tiles are live but they dont update. 15324

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu smart tiles bugged

2. updating start menu xml not updating

3. windows 10 tiles not updating