Windows 10: Start menu button and search stopped opening/working Win 10

Discus and support Start menu button and search stopped opening/working Win 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am a little frustrated and wonder if anyone has an actual solution. I have two computers, not the same, but relatively new and worked well with Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Allen J69, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Allen J69 Win User

Start menu button and search stopped opening/working Win 10

I am a little frustrated and wonder if anyone has an actual solution. I have two computers, not the same, but relatively new and worked well with Win 7. I searched the net for solution and was overwhelmed with all the different methods to fix this problem but in many cases it would not solve the problem. I even reinstalled Win 10 on both computers and the problem again came back after a short time. After seeing all the people having this same problem you would think MS would finally fix it.
    This is ridiculous that MS can't fix a simple start button that worked in past operating systems and my computers. We should not have to go through all these fixes for a start button. Makes you wonder how really secure we are with this operating system where MS can't even fix a simple start button.
    Microsoft, please get it together and fix this ridiculous problem! Provide an update that works.
    Does anyone have a simple solution that actually works without all the pain?
    And a total clean install is not an option; very time consuming (painful).

:)

Allen J69, Sep 9, 2015

2. Windows 10 search not working

I recently upgraded from windows 8.1 to 10

Here's my issues

• The search app is not working
    • Typing after opening the start menu does nothing
    • Pressing the search button beside the start button does nothing
    The search function originally works but after several days it stopped working.

ArbePadilla, Sep 9, 2015
  3. Windows button,Cortana & search function doesn't work [SOLVED]

Hello everybody,

Ijust upgraded yesterday my win 8.1 HP laptop, to win 10

and although all went smooth after an hour or so of win 10 usage

WIN button ,Cortana and the search function stopped working.

I press and it does nothing,no access to start menu , although right click function works.

Any thoughts ,friends???

LiluPookie, Sep 9, 2015
  4. stigus Win User

It sucks, and seems to be a quite common problem. Seems like it's tied to user account corruption of some sort. The least time consumable fix is to just make another user account, and move everything from your old user (documents, photos, videos etc..) over. We just have to wait until Microsoft fixes it I guess, but this way at least you won't have to reformat all the time. Start menu and everything else should work perfectly on the new user account, but if it doesn't then your windows is messed up and you need a reinstall.

Personally I just live with no start menu, some windows options not even working at all and slow windows functions until they confirm this is fixed. So far every new user I have made or reformat has gotten corrupted with no start menu and all that other good stuff in just a couple of weeks. Going trough this process all the time is annoying and time consuming.

stigus, Sep 9, 2015
  5. Allen J69 Win User
    Thanks for the reply..I guess I will just remain in limbo until Microsoft gets there act together.

Allen J69, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu button and search stopped opening/working Win 10 - Similar Threads - Start menu button

2. Search bar and windows start menu button not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar and windows start menu button not working: I've tried to restart file explorer in task manager, never helped, ran sfc, said it found corrupted files, and fixed it, but still never helped, what else can I try to fix those two options on the taskbar? submitted by /u/Cerberus45GTX [link] [comments]...
  3. start button, search button not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start button, search button not working: I updated to the most recent version of windows a couple days back, once my system booted up again the whole task bar vanished it was there but completely blank i resolved the issue by going through command prompt and deleting some of the newest updates. But after that the...
  4. start button, search button not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start button, search button not working: I updated to the most recent version of windows a couple days back, once my system booted up again the whole task bar vanished it was there but completely blank i resolved the issue by going through command prompt and deleting some of the newest updates. But after that the...
  5. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Cortana
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  6. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  7. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working: Hello,A couple of months ago, the start button on my desktop stopped working. Search, whether it be from the taskbar or file explorer, doesn't work either. Same thing with the icons at the right end of the taskbar clock, notifications, speaker volume. Clicking on them does...
  9. desktop start menu and search button not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop start menu and search button not working: desktop start menu and search button not working i have done dsm and sfc and reinstalled windows none of it works i use desktop daily i noticed that when turning on pc and first thing i need to open is start buton after that it will work and start and search functions are...
  10. Windows 10 start menu button stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 start menu button stopped working: It suddenly stopped working, the windows key in my Keyboard doesn't do anything either. Is there a way to fix this or should I just wait for a Windows update for it to fix itself? submitted by /u/BenZ_osu [link] [comments]...