Windows 10: Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update

Discus and support Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The problem is Start Menu can't access the system files. For example - When I click on File Explorer button on the Start Menu it can't start it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DeepDoge, Nov 19, 2018.

1. DeepDoge Win User

Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update

The problem is Start Menu can't access the system files.

For example

- When I click on File Explorer button on the Start Menu it can't start it.

Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update 6ccfd409-bffa-4235-8b5c-f18cc327b463?upload=true.jpg Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update 12cd5e7d-ad30-44d4-bdc0-da18652b8aed?upload=true.jpg

- When I use the Search to start things, it does the same thing

Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update b9406355-d431-4c95-bd62-8a909e537b76?upload=true.jpg Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update 4b0452bd-2001-415c-9c94-79116bbe6569?upload=true.jpg

But

- I can access the files by myself or via Start+R

- Also, I realized I can access to mspaint.exe. Then I realized when I search for it on the Search bar it gives me a shortcut to it.
    So Start Menu can access system files via shortcut files but can't access them directly.

Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update 3af7189e-0df0-471f-a3bb-a099fb47ead0?upload=true.png Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update 2542d316-f908-4f9a-a41b-c52e918bbfa4?upload=true.jpg

So this is all I know about the issue.

I tried to create a new user, it fixes the permission issue.

- But the new account can't find the Disk Partition tool on the Search.

Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update 31417f30-b8a3-413a-86da-4e2752ad3643?upload=true.jpg

- And the File Explorer is not on the side list by default. I can add it from Settings.

Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update ddbbc7e3-0aa2-4d94-8511-d35ae18ad5a1?upload=true.jpg

Also, I don't wanna create a new account and move everything right now.

That's why I'm here. Is there any other way to fix that?

:)

DeepDoge, Nov 19, 2018

2. Unable to access Start menu, open files, run System Restore after installing the Anniversary Update on Windows 10

Hello,

The issues with accessing the Start menu/ Windows key might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing system files after installing the latest update on your computer.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What exactly happens when you try to access the files, System Restore, Repair tools on your computer?
    • What is the complete error code/ error message with this issue?

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested from the Microsoft helps article like: Check for updates, Restart the computer, run the troubleshooter, create test user account and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the Start menu for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Unable to access Start menu, Control Panel with File System Error: 1073740940 on Windows 10

Hi Roy,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused to you in accessing the Start menu, we will help you with this issue.

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried the above mentioned troubleshooting steps to resolve the Start menu issue?

If you are still facing the issue, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article try the troubleshooting steps mentioned and check if it helps.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

4. Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update

Unable to access Start menu and Cortana in Windows 10

Hello Kevin,

As you are unable to access Start menu and Cortana on your device we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know if you are able to see any error message/ error code while trying to access Start menu and Cortana?

This issue might have occurred due to missing/ corrupted system files on your device. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

• Press Windows + R keys, to open
      Run command.
    • Type cmd and hit Enter to open
      Command Prompt.
    • Type the command "sfc /scannow" without the quotes
      and hit Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Thema:

Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update

1. Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update - Similar Threads - Start Menu can't

2. After installing a windows update I can't access the control panel, start menu, settings...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing a windows update I can't access the control panel, start menu, settings...: After installing a windows update I can't access the control panel, start menu, settings and a whole bunch of system apps but other apps like chrome and other files work fine. What do i do?...
  3. After installing a windows update I can't access the control panel, start menu, settings...

in Windows 10 Customization
    After installing a windows update I can't access the control panel, start menu, settings...: After installing a windows update I can't access the control panel, start menu, settings and a whole bunch of system apps but other apps like chrome and other files work fine. What do i do?...
  4. Can't access the start menu, or action center

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access the start menu, or action center: I bought MS Surface Book i5 from a pawn shop. I guess they wiped it and reset it. I can't access the start menu, action center, settings menu, theres no browsers, no apps, no cortana nothing. All i can really do is get a wifi connection and open windows store. It has Win 10...
  5. Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903): Hello! I'm encountering a bit of odd behavior when working with the Start Menu in Windows Server 1809, but I've verified the issue in Win10 1903 as well. All in all, it's a two part issue. Part one: Start layout width does not seem to be saved when using Export-StartLayout...
  6. Devices not accessible after Windows 1809 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Devices not accessible after Windows 1809 update: The Windows 1809 update installed on my Dell desktop PC (Inspiron 3847) on 27 December 2018. I now see the message on taskbar "No Audio output device is installed" and no sound. On checking the Device Manager, four (4) listed devices show warning symbols - Sound, Video &...
  7. Start menu's search randomly stops working after update to 1809

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu's search randomly stops working after update to 1809: Hi, We rolled out 1809 in our company couple of days ago. After update I noticed annoying problem with start menu. When I hit win-key and start to type a program's name (outl..., mstsc etc) the start menu grays out and goes unresponsive. It comes back to life if I hit...
  8. Can't access start menu

Can't access start menu: I can't access/see the start menu when I turn the computer on, however I can see my files. Consequently I cannot access Microsoft office "word" or any of the other apps on the start menu. Added to this I cannot turn off my computer using the left click on the mouse. The...
  9. After updating to build 1809 I can't use Start menu search feature

After updating to build 1809 I can't use Start menu search feature: I just installed the build 1809 over my existing Windows 10 Enterprise install and after that the Start menu search feature (and also the brightness function keys) stopped working. I've already tried to re-register Windows apps using Get-Appxpackage, run sfc /scannow,...
  10. Can't open start menu after updating to 1151

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu after updating to 1151: So I got the 1151 update today. After the update, I could not open the Start menu. Code: SFC /scannow[/quote] says that there are corrupt files that it can not fix. I found out that I should run Code: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant access files after windows 1809 update