Windows 10: Start Menu closes automatically when hover mouse over it

Discus and support Start Menu closes automatically when hover mouse over it in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Click on start button. Move mouse up to menu. Mouse pointer briefly turns to spinning circle. Menu closes automatically. Same problem occurs for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Alan Konieczka, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Start Menu closes automatically when hover mouse over it

Click on start button. Move mouse up to menu. Mouse pointer briefly turns to spinning circle. Menu closes automatically.

Same problem occurs for Notification menu.

Same problem occurs if you right-click the desktop, choose Personalize, Settings window opens. Hover mouse over Settings window, window automatically closes.

Same problem occurs with Edge. Window closes when hover mouse.

Same problem occurs with Calculator.

I know it's not a problem with the mouse. Problem occurs when using the touch pad or an attached mouse.

All drivers are up-to-date.

My temporary work around is to use keyboard keys to navigate around Windows.

This is a new HP Envy 17" laptop running Windows 10 Home version 1803.

:)

Alan Konieczka, Oct 18, 2018
  2. asusrju Win User

Mouse pointer hides under Start Menu.

• Does the mouse respond when you click on the Start icon? Yes.
    • Does the issue persist when you hover your mouse over Start menu tiles?
      You cannot see the mouse over the Start Menu tiles. It show up behind the tiles like a shadow.
    • Do you face similar issue when you hover your mouse on other icons?No.
    I will try your suggestions and report back.

asusrju, Oct 18, 2018
  3. Laptop mouse hover

Did you restart your computer?

Press Windows key + R

Type: control

Hit Enter

Select or click Ease of Access.

Click or tap on Ease of Access Centre.

Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.

Check if issue is resolved.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.

In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.

Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".

In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.

In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 18, 2018
  4. Start Menu closes automatically when hover mouse over it

Mouse pointer hides under Start Menu.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving your issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions related to the query:

• Does the mouse respond when you click on the Start icon?
    • Does the issue persist when you hover your mouse over Start menu tiles?
    • Do you face similar issue when you hover your mouse on other icons?

Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search box next to
      Start
      button and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View all from left side panel of the screen.
    • Select Hardware and Devices, click on
      Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions.

Please reply back to us with the above information and the result, we will be glad to assist you further on the issue you are facing with.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu closes automatically when hover mouse over it

1. Start Menu closes automatically when hover mouse over it - Similar Threads - Start Menu closes

2. Start menu won't automatically close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu won't automatically close: Hello ,i have an issue with the start menu , i always press windows key and start searching something with typing when i find the folder i need i press enter before this issue start menu was closing and i could use the keyboard to move in the folder to choose what pdf i need...
  3. Start menu won't automatically close

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu won't automatically close: Hello ,i have an issue with the start menu , i always press windows key and start searching something with typing when i find the folder i need i press enter before this issue start menu was closing and i could use the keyboard to move in the folder to choose what pdf i need...
  4. Start menu won't automatically close

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu in Win11 closes automatically when opened after cursor hovers over other taskbar...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu in Win11 closes automatically when opened after cursor hovers over other taskbar...: TitleHi Microsoft community,After the most recent windows updateKB5010414, I noticed that my start menu was behaving a bit strange. When I would click on the start button, it would sometimes automatically close. After experimenting, I found that this would always happen if...
  6. Start menu in Win11 closes automatically when opened after cursor hovers over other taskbar...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu in Win11 closes automatically when opened after cursor hovers over other taskbar...: TitleHi Microsoft community,After the most recent windows updateKB5010414, I noticed that my start menu was behaving a bit strange. When I would click on the start button, it would sometimes automatically close. After experimenting, I found that this would always happen if...
  7. Mouse glitches when hovering over taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse glitches when hovering over taskbar: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/5point99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hztnax/mouse_glitches_when_hovering_over_taskbar/
  8. How do you stop the left part of the start menu automatically expanding when you hover over...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you stop the left part of the start menu automatically expanding when you hover over...: If I hover over the Settings icon, for example, it expands the left column to display the word "Settings" next to the icon. I don't need/want this functionality, but I can't see how to turn it off. Is there a way? Thanks. submitted by /u/SigmaTheDJ [link] [comments]...
  9. Mouse hovering over other programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse hovering over other programs: I have some problems with my mouse. If i've more screens opened, I normally can switch to the other screen with my mouse. Today I installed Windows 10, but every time I hover to another Window, it puts that window to the foreground. So the other windows, are behind this...
  10. mouse cursor hover over start menu bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    mouse cursor hover over start menu bug: hi all, i have a new and annoying problem. whenever my mouse cursor hover over the start menu button the computer start processing (the mouse pointer get that small blue circle next to it) and then my taskbar disappear, a second later the entire screen blinks and you can only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Customer hover mouse cursor to Start button > start menu open automatically

2. the start menu closes when mouse moved

3. Hover your mouse over the edge of the Start menu