Windows 10: Start Menu Closes if User Account Selected

Discus and support Start Menu Closes if User Account Selected in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok, so I am having a strange problem. In my PC's admin account, when I attempt to switch users by: Start Menu > (click user account) The start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wildhare, Aug 16, 2015.

1. wildhare Win User

Start Menu Closes if User Account Selected

Ok, so I am having a strange problem. In my PC's admin account, when I attempt to switch users by:
    Start Menu > (click user account)
    The start menu disappears / rolls back down. I cannot switch users this way, but this only affects my admin account. What can I do to make it work like normal?

:)

wildhare, Aug 16, 2015
  2. AndyEme Win User

Start menu freezes and becomes unresponsive when attempting to switch accounts

This is the second of my minor annoyances. In Win8.1 if you were on an account and needed to switch to another account, you could do so without having to logout of your current account. All you had to do was click on that users icon and login, then you could
    switch back to your original account where you left off. Under Win10, I am experiencing the following:

• Go to the start menu and on the user icon, select a user you want to switch to without logging out of the current account.
    • Upon selecting the other user account, the start menu freezes.
    • Clicking outside the start menu makes the menu disappear, but the start icon, windows key, and the entire taskbar become completely unresponsive. Most desktop functions seem to work normally otherwise.
    • Right-clicking over the windows icon to get the text administrative menu and logging out and in is the only way to resolve the problem.
    Again, this is a small annoyance, but it was a nice feature in Win8.1 to be able to log out of one account without having to close down everything in the other account.

Thanks.

AndyEme, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    I have windows 10 and Google Chrome installed. When I am on the Internet my computer freezes up and it does not matter what site I am looking at.

Thank you for bringing this up.

To gain your
    Administrator
    rights, you need to change the properties of the
    Administrator account
    using the
    Computer Management. To do this, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the
      Start menu
      and select
      Computer Management.

• Select
      Local Users and Groups.

• Choose
      Users.

• Right-click on the
      Administrator
      and select
      Properties.

• Under
      General Tab, uncheck
      Account is disabled
      checkbox.

• Close the
      Computer Management.

Try to access Command Prompt as Administrator to check if you regain the Administrator rights.

Let us know if there's any changes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Aug 16, 2015
  4. wildhare Win User

Update: In the course of using the computer today, I restarted, and came back into the admin account referenced above. Now it works, BUT, the start menu doesn't open (and the search bar doesn't either) on the computer' other user account. I had to Win-X to get out of that account.

wildhare, Aug 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Start Menu Closes if User Account Selected - Similar Threads - Start Menu Closes

2. The start menu is automatically closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The start menu is automatically closing: For the past day or so, every time I open start menu from the windows key and try to click on anything, it freezes and closes itself. Even when I leave it idle, it closes itself after 2-3 seconds automatically. Search is running fine but anything other than that is not. I am...
  3. The start menu is automatically closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The start menu is automatically closing: For the past day or so, every time I open start menu from the windows key and try to click on anything, it freezes and closes itself. Even when I leave it idle, it closes itself after 2-3 seconds automatically. Search is running fine but anything other than that is not. I am...
  4. The start menu is automatically closing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu not closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not closing: I clicked on the start menu and when I open my application the start menu will not turn off or close. I need to refresh my computer to make it gone. I restart the computer and issue persist. It is disturbing and kind of irritable when this whole start menu never close....
  6. Start menu not closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not closing: I clicked on the start menu and when I open my application the start menu will not turn off or close. I need to refresh my computer to make it gone. I restart the computer and issue persist. It is disturbing and kind of irritable when this whole start menu never close....
  7. Start menu not closing

8. Autoscroll/selecting in start menu

Autoscroll/selecting in start menu: Hi Guys, Whenever I open my start menu in windows 10, the 'selection' automatically scrolls from the top of the Recently Added section, all the way left to the tiles section before settling on the last tile of the bottom row. It does this every time and doesn't respond to...
  9. close start menu

close start menu: After last Windows 10 update, I cannot close stat menu. Internet websites have no minimization button, and close button is hidden in the upper right corner. I play Caesars slots which would run in the background while I looked at other websites, now the game stops...
  10. Start Menu won't close

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu won't close: It's been a week since I bought this computer, and the start menu won't close. I have all the latest updates, ran the start menu troubleshooter, sfc scan, nothing works. This is my first Windows laptop and I'm very disappointed, to be honest. I've spent all week downloading...