Windows 10: Start menu, closes itself as soon as i click anything within it. And search bar refuses to open

Discus and support Start menu, closes itself as soon as i click anything within it. And search bar refuses to open in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When i click the start menu. Or just the windows button on my keyboard. The start menu appears as normal. But as soon as i click anywhere within it. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/STANN_co, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Start menu, closes itself as soon as i click anything within it. And search bar refuses to open

When i click the start menu. Or just the windows button on my keyboard. The start menu appears as normal. But as soon as i click anywhere within it. It closes itself again, i can't scroll down on the side, i can't search for stuff. If i click on an app it will open the app though, before closing the menu again.

The Search bar, will flash as soon as i click on it. But i can't get to type or search for anything within it.

I've tried several different powershell commands instructed by different forums with no luck. I also did the sfc /scannow thing and it fixed some driver problems apparently but not this issue. Please help

submitted by /u/STANN_co
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/STANN_co, Feb 16, 2020

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Issues with accessing apps throuhg Start Menu and Search bar on windows10.

Hi Indrik,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message when you click on Start Menu?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in Microsoft Help Article about Start menu issues and also try to start Windows Search service. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to refer to the suggestion provided in the Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Step 2: I suggest you to try to start Windows Search services
    and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "services.msc" without the quotes and click on it.

3. Search for Windows Search.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select
    Automatic.

5. Then click on Start button.

Note: If you are not able to change the Startup type, then continue starting the service by clicking on Start button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Start Menu and search bar, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Start menu, closes itself as soon as i click anything within it. And search bar refuses to open

Unable to access Start menu, Search bar, notification buttons on Task bar after install the Update KB3139907 on Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for responding.

We are glad to know that you are able to access Search bar and notification center after performing the above troubleshooting steps.

For the issues with Start menu, try the below steps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the below PowerShell command to re-register Start menu and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Right click on the Taskbar and select
      Task Manager
      from the context menu.

• In the Task Manager window, click on
      File
      and on Run new task.

• Type powershell, place a check mark on
      Create this task with administrative privileges
      and click Ok.

• In the administrative Windows PowerShell window, carefully type the below command and hit Enter key from the keyboard.

• Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
    5. Once the command execution is completed successfully, close the PowerShell window and reboot/ restart the computer.

NOTE: When you are running the PowerShell command, I recommend you to close all the apps on your system and try.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below Microsoft article and check if it helps.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Start menu, closes itself as soon as i click anything within it. And search bar refuses to open

1. Start menu, closes itself as soon as i click anything within it. And search bar refuses to open - Similar Threads - Start menu closes

2. Search bar opens late and closes as soon as I click on the search bar to search something,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar opens late and closes as soon as I click on the search bar to search something,...: When I press the windows key, the search bars appears slightly delayed, and the search bar closes when I click on it. This only started recently, and I have tried a lot to fix it, including SFC scans, rebuilding the search index, changing the search to enhanced, backing up...
  3. Search bar opens late and closes as soon as I click on the search bar to search something,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar opens late and closes as soon as I click on the search bar to search something,...: When I press the windows key, the search bars appears slightly delayed, and the search bar closes when I click on it. This only started recently, and I have tried a lot to fix it, including SFC scans, rebuilding the search index, changing the search to enhanced, backing up...
  4. Search bar closes itself after clicking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar closes itself after clicking: When I click on the search bar it opens up into a white box and then closes itself like 2 seconds later. I've done a troubleshoot a few times and it says search bar not working but doesn't end up fixing it. If anyone knows a fix that would be great...
  5. Search bar closes itself after clicking

Search bar closes itself after clicking: When I click on the search bar it opens up into a white box and then closes itself like 2 seconds later. I've done a troubleshoot a few times and it says search bar not working but doesn't end up fixing it. If anyone knows a fix that would be great...
  6. Search bar closes itself after clicking

in Cortana
  7. Can't Click Start Menu, Search Bar or Right-click on Desktop, its just closes itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Click Start Menu, Search Bar or Right-click on Desktop, its just closes itself: Howdy!I noticed this issue 4 days ago, April 3, 2022, whenever I restart or open after shutting down my laptop, I can't click the Search Bar, Start Menu, Right-click on desktop or anything that opens a menu, it just closes by itself. But clicking on any button on the keyboard...
  8. Can't Click Start Menu, Search Bar or Right-click on Desktop, its just closes itself

Can't Click Start Menu, Search Bar or Right-click on Desktop, its just closes itself: Howdy!I noticed this issue 4 days ago, April 3, 2022, whenever I restart or open after shutting down my laptop, I can't click the Search Bar, Start Menu, Right-click on desktop or anything that opens a menu, it just closes by itself. But clicking on any button on the keyboard...
  9. Start menu opening and closing itself all the time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu opening and closing itself all the time: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/kshaunish7 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lizuhn/start_menu_opening_and_closing_itself_all_the_time/
  10. Start Menu Refusing To Open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Refusing To Open: This issue has happened twice already and required a full restart to fix. I'll attempt to open the Start Menu, by clicking it or pressing the Windows key, and it will refuse to open. In restarting Windows Explorer, the issue still persists. Considering I'm heavily reliant on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows start menu search closes when i type