Windows 10: Start Menu Closing/Crashing When I try to type in it

Discus and support Start Menu Closing/Crashing When I try to type in it in Cortana to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10, when I try to type into my search bar on my bottom left, it closes automatically on me, even typing one letter into the search... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by scavetta, Feb 24, 2021.

1. scavetta Win User

Start Menu Closing/Crashing When I try to type in it

I'm using Windows 10, when I try to type into my search bar on my bottom left, it closes automatically on me, even typing one letter into the search box makes it close on me. This has been happening for almost 2 months and I have spent countless hours trying to fix this problem.

Things I've tried:

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Checkhealth

Tried reinstalling cortana and other commands through Powershell

Reinstalled windows

Deleted "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search"

Tried to restart "Windows Explorer" via task manager and restart "WSearch" through the services menu on task manager.

Any help would be appreciated, this is extremely frustrating.

:)

scavetta, Feb 24, 2021

2. Start Menu opens and closes suddenly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to make your start menu work and check if it helps.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following 2 commands in the Powershell prompt:
      • $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifestand press Enter.
      • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"}and press Enter.
    • Close the Powershell window.
    • Reboot.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further queries, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Feb 24, 2021
  3. AndreePin Win User
    AndreePin, Feb 24, 2021
  4. Start Menu Closing/Crashing When I try to type in it

Start Menu not working.

I followed the direction (I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following 2 commands in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"}

• Close the Powershell window.
    • Reboot,)
    given in the reply. But still the start menu and search is not working

T.Krishnankutty, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

Start Menu Closing/Crashing When I try to type in it

1. Start Menu Closing/Crashing When I try to type in it - Similar Threads - Start Menu Closing

2. Start menu not closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not closing: I clicked on the start menu and when I open my application the start menu will not turn off or close. I need to refresh my computer to make it gone. I restart the computer and issue persist. It is disturbing and kind of irritable when this whole start menu never close....
  3. Start menu not closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not closing: I clicked on the start menu and when I open my application the start menu will not turn off or close. I need to refresh my computer to make it gone. I restart the computer and issue persist. It is disturbing and kind of irritable when this whole start menu never close....
  4. Start menu not closing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. When I open the start menu, it just closes

When I open the start menu, it just closes: When I press the windows key, the start menu comes up for a split second then closes. If you can give any suggestions or solutions to help me fix it that would be greatly appreciated....
  6. Start menu closes and reopens when I'm trying to scroll.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu closes and reopens when I'm trying to scroll.: My start menu will close and reopen while I'm scrolling through the apps until I hit the Windows key. I have a desktop running Windows 10 Pro version 2004 (Build #19047.329) updated on 6/12/20. I just noticed it doing the late last night. I have restarted and it didn't fix...
  7. Windows 10 Start Menu and Notification menu closes when clicked or when typing anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Start Menu and Notification menu closes when clicked or when typing anything: Windows 10 Start Menu and Notification menu closes when clicked or when typing anything . Problem started suddenly a few hours ago , restarting PC only allows it to be fixed for 1 time then it starts to have the same problem again . If I go to task manager there's a process...
  8. Windows Search Box Crashing/Closing When I Type In It.

in Cortana
    Windows Search Box Crashing/Closing When I Type In It.: Within the last day, I have been unable to search via my windows search bar. I have followed several guides trying to fix this issue including sfc /scannow which shows no corrupt files. I have also done DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  9. close start menu

close start menu: After last Windows 10 update, I cannot close stat menu. Internet websites have no minimization button, and close button is hidden in the upper right corner. I play Caesars slots which would run in the background while I looked at other websites, now the game stops...
  10. Start menu closes when I type instead of searching

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu closes when I type instead of searching: Sometimes when I open the start menu and start typing, the start menu closes instead of searching for the character string that I type. Why does it do this? Thanks. 100601