Windows 10: Start Menu Commands

Discus and support Start Menu Commands in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried finding a list of all the shortcut commands from the Start Menu, but I do not see one anywhere. For example, I already know by typing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by satchmo, Nov 8, 2015.

1. satchmo Win User

Start Menu Commands

I tried finding a list of all the shortcut commands from the Start Menu, but I do not see one anywhere.

For example, I already know by typing "winver", I go directly to the version information screen. When I type "reli", I head straight to the reliability monitor.

With a left pinky Windows key action, these commands can be extremely powerful, yet I suspect they are underutilized by the vast majority of Windows users. Only a few superusers are adept at using them.

Can anyone point me to a list of these commands? Thank you.

:)

satchmo, Nov 8, 2015

2. Issues Executing Start Menu Right Click Commands

Hi Paul,

We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the DISM Tool.

• Press Windows + X keys and click
      command prompt(admin).
    • Type the following commands in command prompt one by one and press Enter after each command.
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Method 2: Follow the troubleshooting steps provided in the link below:

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Method 3: Create an new user account and check if the issue persists in the new user account.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...18c/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 8, 2015
  3. Issues Executing Start Menu Right Click Commands

I am running Win 10 Anniversary Edition (problem also occurred with previous Win 10 versions). When I Right Click on the Start Menu, I get the expected list of Shortcut Commands (see attached), however, most of the Commands do not work. Only Desktop, Shut
    down, Run, and Search commands work. I've tried various approached from other forum questions with no luck. This is very frustrating. Thanks.

PaulDiBella, Nov 8, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Start Menu Commands

When you click start and begin typing, you are doing a search. Supposedly any valid command should be accessible that way by typing enough of it so search can recognize it and list for you to select if you want. A few examples:

sched = Task Scheduler
    pai = Paint
    note = Sticky Notes or Notepad
    word = Wordpad
    cont = Control Center or Control Panel
    int = Internet Explorer
    file = File Explorer or 7-Zip file manager (for me)
    etc. etc. etc.

Ztruker, Nov 8, 2015
  5. satchmo Win User
    Thank you.

I am aware of the search nature of this feature. What I am referring to are the non-app shortcuts. All of your examples are apps, which are already quite apparent.

Things like "winver" and "reli" are shortcuts that are less obvious to most users.

satchmo, Nov 8, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Not sure I understand, sorry. None of my examples are Apps, at least not in the Windows 10 sense of the word. They are programs, aka executables, either .exe or .com

winver = C:\Windows\System32\winver.exe
    reli does nothing for me.
    pow = C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

I can find lots of info on Command Prompt or Run box commands, but nothing at all about Start menu commands.

Ztruker, Nov 8, 2015
  7. satchmo Win User
    Sorry, I meant programs. I still can't distinguish between the traditional programs and apps. They are technically all programs after all.

Programs are clearly listed and installed, but some of the features are not ("reli" opens up the Reliability Monitor for me). Perhaps I should search around the system32 folder for executables.

satchmo, Nov 8, 2015
  8. neveready Win User

Start Menu Commands

Believe he is talking about "run commands".

neveready, Nov 8, 2015
  9. satchmo Win User
    Actually, I am not referring to the Run command.

But thanks for trying to clarify.

satchmo, Nov 9, 2015
  10. satchmo Win User
    I guess what I am looking for is a list of most commonly used commands people use directly from the Start Menu/Button.

I only know of "winver" and "reli", but I am sure there are lots more. These trigger features or programs that are part of Windows 10, and not programs and apps installed separately.

satchmo, Nov 9, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    As I said, I've never seen a list of commands you can type at the Start menu. I think the best you can do is use the list or Run commands and test to see w3hat works as a Start menu entry and how many characters you need to type before you get the expected result.

Good start here: 20 Run Commands Every Windows User Should Know - Make Tech Easier

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu Commands

1. Start Menu Commands - Similar Threads - Start Menu Commands

2. Start Menu Keyboard Commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Keyboard Commands: Is there a complete and comprehensive list of Keyboard Comm ands for using the Start Menu after you open the menu with the Windows key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-keyboard-commands/9a817baf-86e6-4edc-a0b7-eb16429c5490
  3. Start Menu Keyboard Commands

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Keyboard Commands: Is there a complete and comprehensive list of Keyboard Comm ands for using the Start Menu after you open the menu with the Windows key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-keyboard-commands/9a817baf-86e6-4edc-a0b7-eb16429c5490
  4. Start Menu Keyboard Commands

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Black screen on start up with no taskbar or start menu and command prompt opens with a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Black screen on start up with no taskbar or start menu and command prompt opens with a...: Hello, whenever I turn on my computer I am met with a black screen and a command prompt error. I am able to run task manager to open chrome, though when running "explorer" or "explorer.exe" the cursor changes to a loading cursor without anything opening. After about 10...
  6. how can I add Hibernate to start menu commands and ....

how can I add Hibernate to start menu commands and ....: Hi, is there a way to add hibernate to start menu instead of continuously using the power physical power button also is there a way to wake up pc from hibernation from any keyboard keys it doesn't work it only works if it is i sleeping mode i want to wake up from...
  7. cannot access command prompt or command prompt (admin) from start menu

cannot access command prompt or command prompt (admin) from start menu: I was using Pinnacle Studio when it froze. On rebooting I discovered I had to reinstall my drivers for video and audio. I decided to use SFC /Scannow to check Windows. I discovered I could no longer access cannot access command prompt or command prompt (admin) by right...
  8. Command/Run Not Showing in Start Menu

Command/Run Not Showing in Start Menu: Run... is not showing in my Windows 10 Start Menu -- how do I add it? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/commandrun-not-showing-in-start-menu/02aca714-2eb2-4d79-89ce-b3fdff375347
  9. missing menu commands

in Windows 10 Support
    missing menu commands: Most of the times I'm getting help there are instructions for going through menus, (click something then right-click on another item) and so on. Many times I follow through then something I'm told to click ISN'T there in the menu. Why are these items missing and how can I...
  10. Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command: So my mail app was not opening links. So I looked up how to reinstall the mail app. Got to this: http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-...stall-window... I uninstalled the apps, then ran the powershell command: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage...