Windows 10: Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

Discus and support Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So lately I was faced by the following symptoms : 1 - Alot of apps not appearing on start menu where I can only run them through store 2 - Mysterious... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

So lately I was faced by the following symptoms :
    1 - Alot of apps not appearing on start menu where I can only run them through store
    2 - Mysterious app called : ms-resource:appDisplayName appearing on start menu that can't be deleted / uninstalled
    3 - All my previous sorted tiles were reseted

I managed to research and here is what I attempted along the way :
    1 - I found number of pages that claimed start menu now is no longer a matter of links to sort , but more like yet another database managed by indexing service (which I doubt because it doesn't really show everything installed) and it suggested running re-indexing to sort start menu shortcut issues where I did that but status remained the same
    2 - Suggestions of re-installing apps where the hidden apps still did not show after re-installation
    3 - Suggestion to reset store using WSReset.exe (nothing)
    4 - Suggestion to run Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} to totally reset the store (nothing)
    5 - Suggestion to Run > shell:AppsFolder and then right click apps to find their locations and sort them where the apps showing are found their , their location lead to older windows folder structure of start menu where the rest of the missing software shows but they still wont show on start menu

So any hints on how to edit the bloody menu to reflect store apps installed and adding other missing installed software shortcuts ?

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 18, 2017
  2. kh456 Win User

Map App Name Changed to "@{Microsoft.WindowsMaps_..."

This procedure did not work for me, either. I think the problem is that the names of the apps have become corrupt. For instance, when I run Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers, I get the Windows Calculator app listed as having the name of Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1601.36020.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe,
    but in the Start Menu the same app is only listed this (verbatim, including odd characters):

@{Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1601.36020.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource://Microsoft.WindowsCalculator/Resources/AppName}

I'm not sure what that syntax means, but perhaps it represents a corrupt alias or sim link that arises when the Start Menu becomes corrupt (which has happened to be four times so far since I installed Windows 10).

kh456, Nov 18, 2017
  3. Issue with ms-resource://Microsoft.MirosoftOfficeHub/ in Start Menu

Thanks for getting back to us. It seems that it might be a an unsuccessfully installed application. Let's try to reset your Windows Store cache to resolve your concern. This will just reset Windows Store without changing account settings or deleting installed
    applications. Follow these steps for instructions:

• Press Windows Key + R.
    • Type WSreset.exe and hits OK.
    • Check if it takes you to a store page which displays that the cache has been reset.
    • Check if it will still appear on your Start Menu.

Should your need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Antoneth Ber, Nov 18, 2017
  4. Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

FreeBooter, Nov 18, 2017
  5. I cant do an in place upgrade , this laptop had previously OEM windows 8.1 that was later upgraded to windows 10 , I couldn't find an iso anywhere that was compatible to do that .

I doubt that this might fix things still because windows specifically keep same apps and everything so might keep same structure of start menu as well .

So there is no way to edit start menu in windows 10 ? like add or remove shortcuts like we used to do in previous windows ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 18, 2017
  6. Yes you can do a repair install of Windows 10 all you need is Media Creation Tool.

I have repaired many Windows 10 problems by doing repair install of Windows 10, you will not know if repair installing Windows 10 will help resolve your issue if you don't do a repair install.

You can't edit Start Menu manually.

FreeBooter, Nov 18, 2017
  7. This is what I get when I run MCT , I think OEM upgraded versions have no proper iso

Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName [​IMG]

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 18, 2017
  8. Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

FreeBooter, Nov 18, 2017
  9. After researching turns out it was an isp issue , so i solved it via vpn , problem is after 7 hours to download over slow vpn and install and update nothing what so ever changed *Sad

any other suggestions on how to tweak start menu ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 19, 2017
  10. Sorry to hear repair installing Windows 10 have not resolve the problem. If you have not please execute below commands one at time.

1. Open the Command Prompt as administrator by typing cmd.exe into Start Menu, right click cmd.exe and select Run as administrator.

2. Execute following commands:

Code: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth Sfc /scannow[/quote]

FreeBooter, Nov 19, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    In case the above operating system repairs do not fix the start menu problem you can try these and report the results into the thread:

1) create a new user and test the start menu with the new user:
    2) open administrative command prompt and type: net user test /add
    3) shutdown /r
    4) sign on with the new user named test > check the start menu

5) re-register the start menu:
    6) open administrative powershell and copy and paste this command:
    Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

Please report results into the thread.

zbook, Nov 20, 2017
  12. So after further searching , I found out the following odd facts :

So this is the odd app showing in start menu with several other missing apps .

Now few forums suggested this to be a sign of corruption example here .

So forums suggested too that there is a tool to fix corruptions called Start Menu Troubleshooter which wasn't easy to find .

Like always all MS Troubleshooters it managed to state the obvious :

So searching on for means to fix the corruption since Microsoft was vague enough about this I came across this page here :
    The odd thing is my old profile has an XML based setting file and empty database folder :

While new profile has no XML file but a database folder :

Any body came across these blahs before ?! @Brink think these are familiar ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 20, 2017
  13. Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

FreeBooter, Nov 20, 2017
  14. I already included that page in my findings @FreeBooter , the problem is listed in previous post , main account is xml based , new one is database based , how to fix that ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 20, 2017
  15. Does the new account resolves the issue if it does then your main account is corrupted.

FreeBooter, Nov 21, 2017
Thema:

Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

1. Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName - Similar Threads - Start Menu Corrupted

2. ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro: Hello there, A few days ago, my win11 was upgraded to the latest bate channel update, which is version 22622.601. But due to some inexplicable problems in the update, I updated it several times until it succeeded, and after this update, my start menu interface has changed a...
  3. ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro: Hello there, A few days ago, my win11 was upgraded to the latest bate channel update, which is version 22622.601. But due to some inexplicable problems in the update, I updated it several times until it succeeded, and after this update, my start menu interface has changed a...
  4. Why ms-resource: AppListName is showing on my Start menu?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why ms-resource: AppListName is showing on my Start menu?: I just got my new laptop with windows 10 set up 2 days ago..... and this issue appeared.... is this normal anyway? and how can I fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-ms-resource-applistname-is-showing-on-my-start/548e87f6-07a5-457d-9cb9-daf7ffbfe3c2
  5. Corrupted Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupted Start Menu: I upgraded to 1909 yesterday, and, among other things, the tiling operation of Start Menus is corrupted. For random tiles, they either don't work and/or cannot be moved, or some shortcuts are not successfully pinned. They either do or don't show up in the apps list on the...
  6. Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu: Hi All ! I am using Windows 10 Pro v1903 Build 18362.175 I have in my Start menu, 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared at the bottom of the menu in the "Others" section. (see my screenshot, in French *Party) and it does not correspond to anything. No errors with SFC or...
  7. ms-resource

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms-resource: Impossible to get rid of "ms-resource" apps that appears after system restore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-resource/50a3b08d-fb6e-4d14-86d9-c469d411e6f4
  8. Start Menu corruption: "Tile database is corrupt"

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu corruption: "Tile database is corrupt": Since updating Windows 10 to version 1803, I noticed that at the bottom of my Start Menu there is a category "Other" and one item under that category listed as "ms-resource:appDisplayName". When I click on it, it opens a page in Windows Store where I can check for app...
  9. Corrupted Start Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupted Start Menu Icons: Hello Windows 10 Forum, I am frequently getting corrupted icons appearing in my Start Menu. These icons are appearing anyways if I am signed in with Microsoft or with a local account. I am really annoyed with these white icons. I would be thankful if this great forum could...
  10. Windows 10 Applications (Start Menu, MS-Settings:) Corrupt Repository

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Applications (Start Menu, MS-Settings:) Corrupt Repository: OK, so I have here a Windows 10 laptop that had major issues. To start off half the services such as BFE, DHCP, and NLA weren't running. They were giving me access denied. I repaired them using "Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.5.0". But now I'm left with none of the apps...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ms-resource appdisplayname

2. ms-resource:appdisplayname

3. ms resource appdisplayname

4. ms-resource appdisplayname remove,
  5. ms-resource start menu,
  6. ms resource appdisplayname remove,
  7. ms-resource app display name,
  8. ms-resource:appname,
  9. ms-resource:appdisplayname start menu,
  10. appdisplayname,
  11. ms-resourceappdisplayName,