Windows 10: Start menu crashes after long-time sleep/dormant

Discus and support Start menu crashes after long-time sleep/dormant in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This is the English version of this question I'm using a Surface Book 2, Win 10 Professional, 1909 18363.657, and was later updated to 18363.719 the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MikotoSuo, Mar 13, 2020.

1. MikotoSuo Win User

Start menu crashes after long-time sleep/dormant

This is the English version of this question

I'm using a Surface Book 2, Win 10 Professional, 1909 18363.657, and was later updated to 18363.719 the issue remains unsolved.

This issue started approximately after this Feb. I noticed that my laptop has a really noticeable possibility to crash after waking up from a long sleep or dormant long means like a whole night. This issue becomes so "common" that it nearly always happens within 10 mins after waking up.

The detailed features are the start menu becomes no response, and later it "refreshes" and becomes only a few buttons left, including the left start menu button, and the windows ink and the date on the right. The CPU fan seems always rotating quite fast at the same time. By observing the task manager, which can be opened via shortcuts, the System process has quite high CPU usage, and maybe sometimes the Remote Procedure Call, not sure. In this situation, restarting the Explorer process has completely no help. The laptop runs very slow, but it seems the other software and the desktop works somehow as normal.

The only two things I can do are either waiting for about 5~10 mins and the start menu restarts to become normal again, or I run "shutdown" instruction in the task manager.

I've tried to uninstall the current two cumulative updates and seems the problem nearly disappears but seldom the start menu bar becomes no response for a sec, I'm not sure if this is the same problem. I also tried followingthis link and use the Media Creation Tool to reinstall the Windows, but the problem still exists.

What can I do to solve this? This is really annoying :

:)

MikotoSuo, Mar 13, 2020
  2. AndreePin Win User
    AndreePin, Mar 13, 2020
  3. MarkG125 Win User
    W10 Start menu always up on waking from sleep

First of all, it's laughable that the suggestion from a "Microsoft Support Engineer" was to attempt to disable the Start Menu. Thank goodness you'll never find it listed in the Task Manager so some poor, unsuspecting user won't actually succeed at disabling
    the Start Menu and then be left with just a Desktop and no obvious way to get to their apps or to shut down the computer.

I've played with this a bit and WalkerJ49 is on the right track. The way the computer entered sleep mode determines whether the Start Menu is open when you wake up the computer. If the computer times out and goes to sleep on its own or if you manually
    enter sleep mode by pressing Alt-F4 from the Desktop (click any spot on the Desktop background itself that doesn't have an icon on it to be sure you're "on the Desktop" before pressing Alt-F4) then the Start Menu won't be open already when you resume. But
    if you put the computer to sleep by using the Power link on the Start Menu, the Start Menu will be open when you resume from sleep.

Hopefully that helps without actually causing harm like the suggestion from the "Microsoft Support Engineer" would have!

MarkG125, Mar 13, 2020
  4. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Start menu crashes after long-time sleep/dormant - Similar Threads - Start menu crashes

2. PC not going to sleep, after choose it in start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not going to sleep, after choose it in start menu: My pc doesn't sleep after I clicked "sleep" in start menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-not-going-to-sleep-after-choose-it-in-start/3415367b-d2c7-4e0e-b6e1-194ee6400410
  3. Issues with Start Menu after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Start Menu after sleep: I am having an issue where the computer goes into sleep mode, when it comes up, I can't access things on my start menu. For example, I click the power button to restart, it shows the options, but doesn't highlight when you mouse over it. Another issue is that Outlook doesn't...
  4. Issues with Start Menu after sleep

Issues with Start Menu after sleep: I am having an issue where the computer goes into sleep mode, when it comes up, I can't access things on my start menu. For example, I click the power button to restart, it shows the options, but doesn't highlight when you mouse over it. Another issue is that Outlook doesn't...
  5. Task bar and start menu taking a long time to load in and work after starting PC, Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task bar and start menu taking a long time to load in and work after starting PC, Windows...: When my computer starts and I log in, the task bar is blank and when I click on it it bugs out and resets, and the same is the case for the start menu. Eventually it loads in and the apps I have saved appear, and the start menu works, but it takes 30 seconds-1 minute where it...
  6. Task bar and start menu taking a long time to load in and work after starting PC, Windows...

Task bar and start menu taking a long time to load in and work after starting PC, Windows...: When my computer starts and I log in, the task bar is blank and when I click on it it bugs out and resets, and the same is the case for the start menu. Eventually it loads in and the apps I have saved appear, and the start menu works, but it takes 30 seconds-1 minute where it...
  7. Task bar and start menu taking a long time to load in and work after starting PC, Windows...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Computer crashes after playing for long times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer crashes after playing for long times: i been playing modern warfare for a long time on pc and i haven't had any issues but as of lately i keep getting blue screens after playing for a while and this is the error that i get. any ideas?[IMG]...
  9. Start Menu Crashing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Crashing: This has been happening to me since I updated Windows to version 2004. Every time I try to scroll on the start menu, or try to open a folder in it, it crashes and restarts. I can only go through it by using the alphabet sorting thingy. Please help....
  10. Start Menu Crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu Crashes: I'm a long term MS Windows user and I used to access all folder in system drive. After Windows 7 accessing some folder such as AppData and DocumentsandSettings folders was too more complicated. I used a little and handy program called NTFS access and guaranteed access every...