Windows 10: Start Menu Crashing After Typing a Few Letters

Discus and support Start Menu Crashing After Typing a Few Letters in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just recently got a desktop from CyberPowerPC, gua2400bst model, and I noticed that whenever I go to use the start menu, it will open normally and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by XChazzy, May 6, 2017.

1. XChazzy Win User

Start Menu Crashing After Typing a Few Letters

I just recently got a desktop from CyberPowerPC, gua2400bst model, and I noticed that whenever I go to use the start menu, it will open normally and I can still click on settings or tiles, but when I go to type to search, it will let me type for about 1 second, no matter how many letters it only lets me type for 1 second, and then it freezes for about 2 seconds then just closes automatically. If anyone could help that would be great, as I need to search for programs often.

:)

XChazzy, May 6, 2017

2. Typing in start menu freezes as if the bar loses focus for a few seconds, until I move my mouse over it again

For the last few months, every time I type anything in the start menu it freezes after a few letters and appears like it loses focus while it is doing a partial search of what I typed. Once it finds something, it refocuses and I can type again.

This makes searching for ANYTHING on the start bar the most annoying task ever, as I have to type 2 letters at a time then wait 5 to 10 seconds for it to let me start typing again. I've tried disabling Cortana, and every fix I found online did nothing. Has
    anyone seen this before?

MattGraves7, May 6, 2017
  3. Windows Search Index / Keyboard / Volume Control Lag at Startup After Log In

Hello Harshavardhan!

I tried method 1 and it did fix somethings. I also tried method 2 afterwards. I restarted the computer but after logging in I immediately opened up windows start menu and typed in "task manager" and the letters appeared very slow. I pressed ESC to exit the
    start menu and afterwards waited for a few minutes. Then I reopened the Windows Start Menu and typed in "task manager" and the letters appeared very quickly. Do you think I should do a clean boot? Or a clean install? I hope I dont have to do a clean install...

User12345679, May 6, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

1) open administrative command prompt and run: Sfc /scannow
    2) run the Microsoft start menu troubleshooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-menu-cortana
    3) in case the above two steps don't work, create a test user and see if it works with the new user

zbook, May 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Start Menu Crashing After Typing a Few Letters - Similar Threads - Start Menu Crashing

2. Missing start menu letter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing start menu letter: On Windows 10. In the start menu. In the alphabetical order, I can see letters starting with "A". Something happened, not sure, but I can no longer see anything that begins with the letter "D". "D" is removed from the alphabetical list. How can I restore that letter back to...
  3. Missing start menu letter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing start menu letter: On Windows 10. In the start menu. In the alphabetical order, I can see letters starting with "A". Something happened, not sure, but I can no longer see anything that begins with the letter "D". "D" is removed from the alphabetical list. How can I restore that letter back to...
  4. Missing start menu letter

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Tenebrae crashes a few seconds after it was started

in Windows 10 Support
    Tenebrae crashes a few seconds after it was started: Recently I downloaded tenebrae setup, then ran that setup of course and then the setup created some folder that contains tenebrae.exe, Tenebrae_launch.exe and a folder called "tenebrae". Next to "tenebrae" folder, I created "id1" folder and then I put both pak0.pak and...
  6. Cant type in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant type in start menu: Hello, whenever I start my computer, I can't search anything on the start menu, but when I do C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe on the run thing, it works. Aside from that, I'm seeing problems on my windows such as a lot of apps will just immediately close when I try to open it,...
  7. Can't type in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type in start menu?: After Windows automatically restart to install their amazing new update, I can no longer type in the start menu. I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana and running ctfmon.exe, but none of it has worked. This issue only started when...
  8. Windows Start Menu and Settings Search Crash After 2 Letters

in Cortana
    Windows Start Menu and Settings Search Crash After 2 Letters: I’m having a pretty annoying bug in Windows 10, and if I had to pinpoint where I first noticed it, it would be when I was moving applications out of folders in the Start Menu’s Programs folder, as it really annoys me when Office 2003 is in a folder rather than listed out....
  9. Start Menu & Cortana Buggy After a Few Hours

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu & Cortana Buggy After a Few Hours: → PLEASE VIEW THE IMAGES BELOW TO SEE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT ← [img] [img] [img] [img] To quickly summarize because I made a similar thread like this... I did a fresh re-install of Windows 10 Pro and upgraded to the Anniversary Update Version 1607 (OS Build...
  10. Quick Find By Typing First Few Letters Of File Name?

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Find By Typing First Few Letters Of File Name?: i REALLY miss, and don't know why i can't do it with Windows 10, typing the first few letters of a file name and having it automatically highlighted!!! i tried googling this, but i can't find it. i would be surprised if no one else has talked about this though so many be i...