Windows 10: Start Menu Crashing After Typing a Few Letters

Discus and support Start Menu Crashing After Typing a Few Letters in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just recently got a desktop from CyberPowerPC, gua2400bst model, and I noticed that whenever I go to use the start menu, it will open normally and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by XChazzy, May 6, 2017.

1. XChazzy Win User

Start Menu Crashing After Typing a Few Letters

I just recently got a desktop from CyberPowerPC, gua2400bst model, and I noticed that whenever I go to use the start menu, it will open normally and I can still click on settings or tiles, but when I go to type to search, it will let me type for about 1 second, no matter how many letters it only lets me type for 1 second, and then it freezes for about 2 seconds then just closes automatically. If anyone could help that would be great, as I need to search for programs often.

:)

XChazzy, May 6, 2017

2. Typing in start menu freezes as if the bar loses focus for a few seconds, until I move my mouse over it again

For the last few months, every time I type anything in the start menu it freezes after a few letters and appears like it loses focus while it is doing a partial search of what I typed. Once it finds something, it refocuses and I can type again.

This makes searching for ANYTHING on the start bar the most annoying task ever, as I have to type 2 letters at a time then wait 5 to 10 seconds for it to let me start typing again. I've tried disabling Cortana, and every fix I found online did nothing. Has
    anyone seen this before?

MattGraves7, May 6, 2017
  3. Windows Search Index / Keyboard / Volume Control Lag at Startup After Log In

Hello Harshavardhan!

I tried method 1 and it did fix somethings. I also tried method 2 afterwards. I restarted the computer but after logging in I immediately opened up windows start menu and typed in "task manager" and the letters appeared very slow. I pressed ESC to exit the
    start menu and afterwards waited for a few minutes. Then I reopened the Windows Start Menu and typed in "task manager" and the letters appeared very quickly. Do you think I should do a clean boot? Or a clean install? I hope I dont have to do a clean install...

User12345679, May 6, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

1) open administrative command prompt and run: Sfc /scannow
    2) run the Microsoft start menu troubleshooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-menu-cortana
    3) in case the above two steps don't work, create a test user and see if it works with the new user

zbook, May 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Start Menu Crashing After Typing a Few Letters - Similar Threads - Start Menu Crashing

2. Windows Start Menu and Settings Search Crash After 2 Letters

in Cortana
    Windows Start Menu and Settings Search Crash After 2 Letters: I’m having a pretty annoying bug in Windows 10, and if I had to pinpoint where I first noticed it, it would be when I was moving applications out of folders in the Start Menu’s Programs folder, as it really annoys me when Office 2003 is in a folder rather than listed out....
  3. Kill the letters! (Start menu apps list.)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Kill the letters! (Start menu apps list.): One final hack/adjustment and I will be at peace. So far no-one has come up with a way to remove the stupid letters from the start menu apps list... have they? Please do NOT suggest third part apps. I value the right click menu features on the Start button and all the...
  4. A few apps crash/close as soon as they are started.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A few apps crash/close as soon as they are started.: Hi guys, so a few apps are giving me issues and I can't seem to fix them. Problems: Apps that completely crash or close out when I start them: Xbox, People, Phone Companion. Groove Music and Movies and TV crash on startup 99% of the time, but for whatever random reason...
  5. Start menu Crashing (sort of)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu Crashing (sort of): hkVjJlqI5fo Having an issue with my Start menu in Windows 10 that nobody else on the internet seems to have. Basically, pressing certain buttons makes that menu crash. So does searches. Extremely annoying. Any help greatly appreciated. 38760
  6. Start Menu & Cortana Buggy After a Few Hours

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu & Cortana Buggy After a Few Hours: → PLEASE VIEW THE IMAGES BELOW TO SEE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT ← [img] [img] [img] [img] To quickly summarize because I made a similar thread like this... I did a fresh re-install of Windows 10 Pro and upgraded to the Anniversary Update Version 1607 (OS Build...
  7. Occasional start menu crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Occasional start menu crashes: last 3 days I seem to have occasional start menu crashes. it works again straight after but any idea whats happening. no changes at all. I reckon a live tile might be to blame. I turn on the pc a few times a day and so far it seems to of happened once each day for the past...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu goes away after a few hours.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu goes away after a few hours.: After I restart my Windows 10 desktop the Start Menu operates as it should. But after a few hours, the Start Menu stops working. After another reboot it works again for another few hours. Anyone having this issue. And if so, any idea of how to fix this? 63496
  9. start menu crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu crashes: how to do this for startmenu ? my start menu crashes when nvidia driver crashes and it wont open. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html 19017
  10. Quick Find By Typing First Few Letters Of File Name?

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Find By Typing First Few Letters Of File Name?: i REALLY miss, and don't know why i can't do it with Windows 10, typing the first few letters of a file name and having it automatically highlighted!!! i tried googling this, but i can't find it. i would be surprised if no one else has talked about this though so many be i...