Windows 10: start menu - critical error

Discus and support start menu - critical error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I got home from work today I turned on my computer. When I click on the start button I get a pop up now: CRITICAL ERROR Your start menu isn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdtag, Apr 29, 2016.

1. sdtag Win User

start menu - critical error

When I got home from work today I turned on my computer. When I click on the start button I get a pop up now:
    CRITICAL ERROR
    Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it for you the next time you log on.
    The only option is a button that says sign out now. I hit it and the computer reboots and I am caught in a loop.
    Repeat
    I can right click it, just not left click.
    Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

:)

sdtag, Apr 29, 2016

2. critical error start menu

Critical Error in Start Menu
    I keep on getting Critical Error message. "Your Start Menu isn't working. ... Critical Error in Start Menu

scottgroup, Apr 29, 2016
  3. virenthakur, Apr 29, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

jds63, Apr 29, 2016
  5. sdtag Win User
    well it's not a Dell and I never saw anything about Cortana but I tried this anyway.
    That was just a little scary watching the powershell window for a couple of minutes there.
    Everything seemed fine, I rebooted.
    The first time I clicked the start button the computer thought for about 5 seconds, then did nothing. Subsequent clicks do nothing.
    At least it's not caught in a reboot loop any more, thank you. Any other ideas.

Cool avatar by the way. I'm old now but I was raised on the mighty Zep. I used to play the drums and I was in bands in the 80's. We played a lot of Zeppelin. We were very loud and had a good reputation locally. fun fun fun (from what I can remember haha)

sdtag, Apr 29, 2016
  6. sdtag Win User
    I rebooted a couple more times and same thing, it thinks for about 5 seconds on the first click, then after that I may as well be clicking the desktop, it does nothing. I'll keep searching.

sdtag, Apr 29, 2016
  7. sdtag Win User
    after trying out several witch doctor voodoo remedies I ended up downloading and installing classic shell.
    I have a menu! Not the windows 10 menu, but I have a working start menu. I'm done.
    Jheez - what's next...

sdtag, Apr 29, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

How did it work in safe mode, did you try this i assume ? If you right click the start menu did or do you get anything then ? Like to try something if you can get a Command Prompt, System File Checker and DISM.

Thank you and your welcome ! Your the first to ever say anything and notice what the avatar was. I was also a big fan and still are, first Rock band i got into then and was a bit before my time. I also played Bass, but never in a band.

jds63, Apr 29, 2016
  9. jds63 Win User
    I can not think this is a solution using classic shell, i would suggest a possible inplace repair upgrade of Windows 10. This was a common problem awhile back for many with start menu issues. Use steps # 4 or 5.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Always good to also have Windows 10 media disc or on a USB Flash drive. If can get to a command prompt let me know first we can see if it will help before last resort of repairing it.

jds63, Apr 29, 2016
  10. sdtag Win User
    I tried to do the Windows in place upgrade and after putting in the disc and answering a few questions the only option it is giving me is to keep nothing. Everything will be deleted. I don't really want to do this. what am I doing wrong?

sdtag, May 7, 2016
  11. sdtag Win User
    bump
    lookin for some help here

sdtag, May 9, 2016
  12. pete1208 Win User
    I would copy all my documents, pictures, etc... to an external, removable flash drive if you can.

You may be able to do a system restore back to a time when the computer was working correctly. Otherwise a clean install.

pete1208, May 9, 2016
  13. sdtag Win User

I found this in another post and now I lost that post.
    This worked for me. Kind of. I didn't get menu tiles back, but I never liked those anyway. *Smile
    I got everything else back. WOHOO!

Defintely Works!!! To Get Windows button working & Right Click FIXED

This DEFINITLY WORKS GUYS N GALS. Just make sure to right click over the powershell name after you search for it in the 'Search Windows' tab to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. It's about the only thing right click works on. THEN, your windows button will work (LASTLY). because during the process you will notice right click is working FIRST after about 23 processes complete. Takes about 5 min max. - Ten Boy (Just like Windows 10, I'm a lil haywire but I'm better than the old me after all is said and done) BUT windows 95 ...U always miss your first! Well Windows 3.1 was my crush, but 95 moved next door and it was OVER.

Quote Originally Posted by flhthemi View Post
    Found this and it worked for me:

Open powershell with admin privileges
    Copy and paste this line at the PS prompt:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

You might have to wait a second for it to appear, when it does hit enter and wait until the prompt returns from PS

Don't know how long it will last but it's working now.....

sdtag, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. start menu - critical error - Similar Threads - start menu critical

2. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    critical error start menu: Hi, Please help in the moring i turn on my pc and i tried clicking on the start button but it showed a massge saying "critical error" i have tried every posible sulotion i can find my window is 10 pro PLEASE HELP...
  3. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    critical error start menu: Hi, Please help in the moring i turn on my pc and i tried clicking on the start button but it showed a massge saying "critical error" i have tried every posible sulotion i can find my window is 10 pro PLEASE HELP...
  4. Start menu Critical Error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu Critical Error: I’ve recently gotten my 500gb 860 evo ssd and installed windows on but ever since I got it I’ve been getting this Message “Your start menu isn’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in” it’s been like this for a day or so, any solution to fix this would be...
  5. Start menu critical error

Start menu critical error: Hello people, for about 2 days now I have been trying to fix this issue to no avail.. every time I try to interact with the start menu I get a critical error saying "Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. I have tried booting in and out...
  6. Critical Error - Start Menu

Critical Error - Start Menu: Hi, I've encountered a critical error "Your Start menu isn't working..." How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-error-start-menu/96f57669-ca31-4b24-bb04-23afa30c285c
  7. Start menu critical error

Start menu critical error: Hello I have a problem with my start menu on one of the accounts on my pc. Tried the powershell commands, tried reinstaling third party antivirus also chkdsk and many more stuff. I need that account and I dont want to create a new one so please give me a fix that works...
  8. Critical error start menu

Critical error start menu: Start menu not working, cannot access settings or edge, after running update 2004 2020 I only get a black screen with shortcuts but none work & every fix I've tried from what I am able to do has failed. Can't even run repair disc or get recovery to use an earlier date, I need...
  9. Start Menu Critical Error

Start Menu Critical Error: Hello all, In the last 24 hours, my brother's Windows 10 PC has been returning a critical error message (the start menu and cortana aren't working) and asking the user account to log out. We've been through a number of methods found on forums to try to fix this, including:...
  10. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    critical error start menu: Hi, hoping this is correct section, (moved from BSOD,crashes) I wish to reopen thread on this subject as the last time I looked it was closed in June 2016. Lately I keep getting a critical error when I try to access start menu. I have followed Brinks tutorial on subject, but...