Windows 10: Start Menu Critical Error

Discus and support Start Menu Critical Error in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello all, In the last 24 hours, my brother's Windows 10 PC has been returning a critical error message (the start menu and cortana aren't working)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AuxiliaryOutput, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Start Menu Critical Error

Hello all,

In the last 24 hours, my brother's Windows 10 PC has been returning a critical error message (the start menu and cortana aren't working) and asking the user account to log out. We've been through a number of methods found on forums to try to fix this, including:

• several restarts
    • restarting in safe mode w/ networking (allows access to the start menu whilst in safe mode, but once rebooted regularly the same error occurs)
    • force stopping explorer
    • ending LocalSecurityAuthority process
    • fiddling with the taskbar settings for cortana

None of these have worked. We also saw some methods involving deleting or moving a folder called "TileDataLayer". We haven't tried any of these yet, partly because this folder apparently no longer exists or has a new name/location and partly because it sounds important and we didn't think we should fuck with it.

I've set up a new temporary admin profile from cmd, but I'm having trouble getting it to load properly (getting a lot of black screen).

Could anyone tell me what they think might be the issue, or what we might be able to try to sort this out that wouldn't involve wiping the disk?

Regards,

A stressed out, semi-PC-literate sibling.

submitted by /u/AuxiliaryOutput
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AuxiliaryOutput, Mar 22, 2020

2. Critical Error with Start Menu

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• What is the exact error message are you getting?

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by Ravinath P on October 5, 2015 and check if it helps.

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 22, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Arun B J, Mar 22, 2020
  4. eschap Win User

Start Menu Critical Error

Critical Error Start menu

I have same problem and none of the posted suggestions work. I did a system restore and it almost works except the start menu is not properly organized and the programs are listed in a different than normal manner. after a few hours when I click on the
    start menu the critical error pops up again and says it will try to repair on the net login, which does not repair the problem. but if I do a restore it will work for a few hours and then repeats

eschap, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

Start Menu Critical Error

1. Start Menu Critical Error - Similar Threads - Start Menu Critical

2. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    critical error start menu: Hi, Please help in the moring i turn on my pc and i tried clicking on the start button but it showed a massge saying "critical error" i have tried every posible sulotion i can find my window is 10 pro PLEASE HELP...
  3. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    critical error start menu: Hi, Please help in the moring i turn on my pc and i tried clicking on the start button but it showed a massge saying "critical error" i have tried every posible sulotion i can find my window is 10 pro PLEASE HELP...
  4. Start menu Critical Error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu Critical Error: I’ve recently gotten my 500gb 860 evo ssd and installed windows on but ever since I got it I’ve been getting this Message “Your start menu isn’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in” it’s been like this for a day or so, any solution to fix this would be...
  5. Start menu critical error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu critical error: Hello people, for about 2 days now I have been trying to fix this issue to no avail.. every time I try to interact with the start menu I get a critical error saying "Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. I have tried booting in and out...
  6. Critical Error - Start Menu

Critical Error - Start Menu: Hi, I've encountered a critical error "Your Start menu isn't working..." How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-error-start-menu/96f57669-ca31-4b24-bb04-23afa30c285c
  7. Start menu critical error

Start menu critical error: Hello I have a problem with my start menu on one of the accounts on my pc. Tried the powershell commands, tried reinstaling third party antivirus also chkdsk and many more stuff. I need that account and I dont want to create a new one so please give me a fix that works...
  8. Critical error start menu

Critical error start menu: Start menu not working, cannot access settings or edge, after running update 2004 2020 I only get a black screen with shortcuts but none work & every fix I've tried from what I am able to do has failed. Can't even run repair disc or get recovery to use an earlier date, I need...
  9. start menu - critical error

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu - critical error: When I got home from work today I turned on my computer. When I click on the start button I get a pop up now: CRITICAL ERROR Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it for you the next time you log on. The only option is a button that says sign out now. I hit it...
  10. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    critical error start menu: Hi, hoping this is correct section, (moved from BSOD,crashes) I wish to reopen thread on this subject as the last time I looked it was closed in June 2016. Lately I keep getting a critical error when I try to access start menu. I have followed Brinks tutorial on subject, but...