Windows 10: Start Menu Customisation

Discus and support Start Menu Customisation in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I like having a decent list of most used apps on the start launch list in W7. I would change to [not] 'large icons' in the start customisation options,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by alijcam, Jan 25, 2015.

1. alijcam Win User

Start Menu Customisation

I like having a decent list of most used apps on the start launch list in W7. I would change to [not] 'large icons' in the start customisation options, then set the start menu size to (say) 20 apps.
    Shaun posed a great solution to restoring the 9879-type 'resizable' start menu on 9926 (thanks!), but tinkering with the registry entries that controlled the icon sizes in W7 doesn't seem to work in W10TP.
    However, there is clearly some mechanism that configures the 'all programs' list to use small icons
    Anyone have any suggestions to change the main start list to small(er) icons?

I suppose what i'm wanting is the W7 desktop back - and that's probably not far from the truth; for a desktop user, the W7 Aero presentation was smart, nice to look at, and more productive because it had better delineation between content and functional zones that the Playschool (is this to become the new name for it?) UI doesn't seem to have (for me).

Retain the options to allow the users the options to configure the UI presentation the way they are happiest with, and perhaps then do the analytics to see what everyone chooses?

:)

alijcam, Jan 25, 2015
  2. Syed N Win User

start menu customisation!?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

Are you referring to Music and other folders on the Start Menu?

When you use the search function, please click on "My Stuff" and see if that helps. You cannot drag and drop folders or shortcuts to Start menu but you can right click on the icon to select either to Pin to Start or Taskbar.

Do reply if you have more questions.

Syed N, Jan 25, 2015
  3. start menu customisation!?

On the windows 10 page there is a section stating "now access your files faster" or something of that nature. In fact windows 10 is a horrible mess.

The start menu, the hub of exploration, is now pretty much defunct. I have 2 drives, a ssd for windows and programs and a hdd for files so they don't clog up my system drive.

Firstly the search function only turns up results from my C drive which is absolutely useless.

Secondly I can't drag and drop folders or folder shortcuts into start menu or the tiles section on the left. I also can't drag some programs onto the tile section such as uTorrent. again useless.

Thirdly I can't customise the directories of the "music, downloads, docs, images etc." folders that can be shown on the left hand side.

help? Or is that it.

The-Atlantean, Jan 25, 2015
  4. edee Win User

Start Menu Customisation

Download StartIsBack and you will pretty much have the Windows 7 desktop back .... minus the aero effect. StartIsBack is a reincarnation of the Windows 7 start menu.

I just whish they would bring back being able to customize the login screen instead of having to use those fugly solid colors.

5. Hi and welcome to TenForums,
    There's quite a few restrictions on 10 but I'm sure eventually allot of win-8 utilities to alter system files will be available soon after final release,
    Like this one,
    Windows 7 Logon Background Changer - Customize your Windows 7 welcome screen wallpaper
    But yes Start8 is a good cheap one to alter the start menu/ start button...
    Then there's classic shell as well that will also be compatible eventually *Wink
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Jan 25, 2015
  6. edee Win User
  7. That was an example not a actual suggestion,
    Read again *Tongue

ThrashZone, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu Customisation

1. Start Menu Customisation - Similar Threads - Start Menu Customisation

2. How to have the same start menu customisation on triple monitors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to have the same start menu customisation on triple monitors?: I'd like to have the same exact live tiles and applications I've customised/personalised on my start menu in my main monitor to reflect on all other 3 monitors. What actions should I execute?...
  3. How to have the same start menu customisation on triple monitors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to have the same start menu customisation on triple monitors?: I'd like to have the same exact live tiles and applications I've customised/personalised on my start menu in my main monitor to reflect on all other 3 monitors. What actions should I execute?...
  4. How to have the same start menu customisation on triple monitors?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. My Start menu layout - I LOVE how customisable it is :D

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My Start menu layout - I LOVE how customisable it is :D: submitted by /u/Wakellor957 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jiv3lc/my_start_menu_layout_i_love_how_customisable_it/
  6. Customise Start Menu.

Customise Start Menu.: I have been mucking around creating a custom Win 10 Pro ISO. I have the Start Menu almost how I want it! [img] How can I . . . [1] How can I get rid of Start, Pinned Tiles, and All Apps. [2] Reduce the white area so when I click the Start Menu Windows Icon it only shows...
  7. Windows 10 start menu per user short cuts customisation

Windows 10 start menu per user short cuts customisation: Hi All Last I used was Windows XP pro. where I could customize the start menu for each user. Is that possible in Windows 10 home? For example I would like to remove things like the Windows Admin Tools folder from my son's start menu profile but still have it on my...
  8. Windows 10 (1803) Start Menu customisation Fails! Please Help!

Windows 10 (1803) Start Menu customisation Fails! Please Help!: Hello, I have windows 10 1803 (pro, enterprise and education) installed on different laptops on windows server 2012 R2 domain network. I am trying to customise Start Menu using GPO. Problems encountered as follows: Start layout doesn't work when XML file is on the...
  9. Customising the right-click context menu

Customising the right-click context menu: Hi, I hope someone here can help me out. I want to customise the context menu, the one that pops up when you right-click the mouse. I just want to re-arrange some of the menu options that are available and possibly delete (if possible) some others that I don't need or even...
  10. Left-hand side start menu true customisation?

in Windows 10 Support
    Left-hand side start menu true customisation?: Hey guys, back in the good old days of W7, you could pin an application to the start menu and it would appear on the left hand side and it would also offer a list of recently opened things within that application as a right arrow for ease of selection. For example,...