Windows 10: Start menu dead

Discus and support Start menu dead in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My windows Start menu doesn't open not on click not on keypress. When I click on the notification panel it instantly crashes same goes for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by {{James}}, Oct 22, 2021.

1. {{James}} Win User

Start menu dead

My windows Start menu doesn't open not on click not on keypress. When I click on the notification panel it instantly crashes same goes for the background apps tab in the privacy settings. The start menu troubleshooter app says "Microsoft.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" have to be reinstalled correctly and the user needs access to the "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global" keyHowever I don't know how to reinstall those and neither how I give myself access to that key.I've tried every scan I could find using PowerShell and CMD but they could't

:)

{{James}}, Oct 22, 2021
  2. badrobot Win User

Start menu

Or install Classic Shell to temporarily replace your start menu just until the next build is released.
    Programs run on Classic Shell start menu even though they are "dead" on the native start menu.

badrobot, Oct 22, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Oct 22, 2021
  4. davy Win User

Start menu dead

Start menu

It it was a clean instal. I will try classic she'll.
    thanks for suggestion.

Thema:

Start menu dead

1. Start menu dead - Similar Threads - Start menu dead

2. Start menu dead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu dead: My windows Start menu doesn't open not on click not on keypress. When I click on the notification panel it instantly crashes same goes for the background apps tab in the privacy settings. The start menu troubleshooter app says "Microsoft.ShellExperienceHost" and...
  3. Start menu dead

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu dead: My windows Start menu doesn't open not on click not on keypress. When I click on the notification panel it instantly crashes same goes for the background apps tab in the privacy settings. The start menu troubleshooter app says "Microsoft.ShellExperienceHost" and...
  4. Dead On Start Up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dead On Start Up: I restarted my pc and now after I sign in I have about five seconds where it works, afterwards I can no longer do anything. My mouse works but I can’t click anything. My keyboard still works and I managed to open up startup programs and disable everything with my keyboard. It...
  5. Dead start menu entry from uninstalled game.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dead start menu entry from uninstalled game.: I have a dead "Age Of Empires : Definitive Edition" start menu entry which I cannot remove. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dead-start-menu-entry-from-uninstalled-game/d9cebca9-60ef-4c8d-8a80-c26d68dc1d1c
  6. Dead key dead at start-up. Then turns on. Why?

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead key dead at start-up. Then turns on. Why?: I originally posted this on the Hardware and Devices Forum, but perhaps that was the wrong place. At any rate, no one responded. Windows 10 version 1909 The problem appeared about three months ago. My keyboard layout is for the Icelandic language. It includes a dead key...
  7. What’s next for Windows 10 Start menu: Are live tiles dead?

in Windows 10 News
    What’s next for Windows 10 Start menu: Are live tiles dead?: There have been plenty of rumours and leaks after we reported Microsoft is considering a new Start menu layout that ditches the Live Tiles for static icons. Are live tiles dead? Not for now, but the Redmond firm is exploring a new Start menu without live tiles, but why? Let’s...
  8. Removing dead icons from Start menu All Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing dead icons from Start menu All Apps: After disabling and uninstalling Cortana, Edge and others as well as Search I ended up with 2 dead icons in the All apps menu one for Search and one for Edge. When I drag the Search icon to the desktop it's named as:...
  9. Start menu dead

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu dead: So the issue that I am having is the start menu won't react, however Cortana does.... I have tried a second user account, restarting it several times, fsc /scannow (it said all good) and the Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode...
  10. Dead screen at start up

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead screen at start up: I have downloaded Win ten onto three computers using the downloaded programme on a memory stick. Laptop absolutely perfect second on a PC, perfect, third PC,(mine), press the power button and quickly get the screen lighting and then the ten four squres window showing but...