Windows 10: Start Menu does not display programs

Discus and support Start Menu does not display programs in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My Windows Start Menu does not display a list of programs. When I click on the Windows 10 Logo, an hourglass appears then vanishes.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by arthurejohnston, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Start Menu does not display programs

My Windows Start Menu does not display a list of programs. When I click on the Windows 10 Logo, an hourglass appears then vanishes.

:)

arthurejohnston, Oct 4, 2020

2. Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Oct 4, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?

Hi, the answer is to use Classic Shell (free), often referred to here.

As I've commented many times in this forum, a hierarchically structured categorised start menu is not expressed correctly by the Win 10 start menu, which extracts shortcuts from subfolders and lists them alphabetically. The subfolders (or maybe sub-subfolders) vanish.

Classic Shell works as you'd expect, being extensively customisable, including its appearance and search feature.

Start Menu does not display programs [​IMG]

dalchina, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Edwin Win User

Start Menu does not display programs

Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?

It will display in that folder if you change the folder icon first, restart Explorer, then put stuff in it.

The icon image points to a .dll so, modifying that leaves you with one alternative only!

Barring a 3rd party application, your only alternative would be to create customized shortcuts of said folders, mind you, that would open the folders themselves and not a cascading menu:

Start Menu does not display programs [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

Start Menu does not display programs

1. Start Menu does not display programs - Similar Threads - Start Menu does

2. Windows 7: No programs displayed from Start Menu - All Programs . Windows displays error...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7: No programs displayed from Start Menu - All Programs . Windows displays error...: Windows displays error message "Unable to load application configuration file" after loginThe Downloads folder on the C drive is no longer there. All icons on Quick Launch has disappeared.Does not open "Manage" from My Computer displays message see attached image I lost my...
  3. Windows 7: No programs displayed from Start Menu - All Programs . Windows displays error...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7: No programs displayed from Start Menu - All Programs . Windows displays error...: Windows displays error message "Unable to load application configuration file" after loginThe Downloads folder on the C drive is no longer there. All icons on Quick Launch has disappeared.Does not open "Manage" from My Computer displays message see attached image I lost my...
  4. Restore Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Start Menu Programs: By mistake I removed all my programs from the start menu, they are installed its just they don't show up here on being removed. How to restore them back? Windows: 7 Already Tried: Restarted already...
  5. Organizing Programs in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Organizing Programs in the Start Menu: I have installed a number of online games which now appear separately in the programs list in the start menu as well as tiles. I've consolidated the tiles into a single games folder. How do I do the same thing with the programs in the programs list?...
  6. Programs not showing in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs not showing in start menu: I recently changed which SSD I wanted games and a few other things on. Since changing this any of the things installed aren’t showing up on the start menu. I have 3 different SSD’s, not sure if this have anything to do with it? I don’t know if I’m supposed to enable the...
  7. Unknown program in Start Menu

Unknown program in Start Menu: what is it? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-program-in-start-menu/8ddcf8fd-d7a1-4a0a-9010-869fa651c347
  8. PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU: Hey there! I have a problem, few days ago I noticed that I dont have all my programs in start menu, they are all gone and when I search for them in search box I cant find them there....
  9. Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?

Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?: Obviously icons are displayed in the program list when the shortcut is not nested inside a folder. But it seems windows will not display customized folder icons. The properties for the folder can be opened, and a custom icon selected, but it does not display. Not in the start...
  10. Installed program not in the start menu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installed program not in the start menu.: With a clean install of Win 10 1703 I installed MSI Afterburner from the administrator account but the shortcuts weren't placed in the standard accounts start menu. I'm not sure if this is Windows issue or MSI Afterburner as I haven't received a reply from Guru3d forums...