Windows 10: Start menu does not open after migrating a local user profile to domain profile

Discus and support Start menu does not open after migrating a local user profile to domain profile in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there, We have a small office environment: 5 WIN10 computers so far with local user accounts and freshly deployed WS2016 with a domain. I am in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rafał Przelaskowski, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Start menu does not open after migrating a local user profile to domain profile

Hi there,

We have a small office environment: 5 WIN10 computers so far with local user accounts and freshly deployed WS2016 with a domain. I am in the process of preparing to migrate local user profiles to their domain counterparts - all on local computers.

I have followed the profile migration procedure described here: https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/145013-migrate-local-user-profile-to-domain-profile

After completing the procedure and logging in locally to the domain user account - with a former local user's profile path linked to the domain user profile in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\SID\ProfileImagePath, it turned out that the Start menu does not open. The same when I re-log in as a local user.

I tried then to reset the domain user's profile path to its original location (i.e. without settings of the local user I wanted to migrate) in the registry to learn that:
    - after logging in to the domain user, the Start menu works correctly,
    - after logging in to the local user, the Start menu it does not work.

Does anyone has an idea of what went wrong and how to correct it? Thx in advance!

:)

Rafał Przelaskowski, Oct 27, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Migrate Locale Profile to Domain

I removed my reply because watching those instructions on TechNet I started wondering if they really work with Windows 10.

Anyway, whatever you try create first a dummy profile, customize it a bit and move it to domain. If everything works, you can then move real profiles.

3. Migrate Locale Profile to Domain

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how to migrate a local profile to a domain profile without software? I have some Windows 10 computers that are setup as workgroups, but we need to move them to the company domain. I want to ensure that users don't lose their files, settings, etc. Thanks in advance.

Shay

orthompson, Oct 27, 2019
  4. FarshadZE Win User

Start menu does not open after migrating a local user profile to domain profile

Migrate User Profile frm Domain to Local PC

Hi to all.

I was working in an office and we used a domain for the LAN setup. I am no longer working there and I want to transfer my user profile from that domain to local PC. In case I will have issues starting in future, since I can not connect to the Domain server
    I will have problems. I have admin privileges in both that domain and local PC. How can I migrate my user profile from that domain to local PC transferring all setting, files,...etc. Can any one help?

Thank you

FarshadZE, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Start menu does not open after migrating a local user profile to domain profile

1. Start menu does not open after migrating a local user profile to domain profile - Similar Threads - Start menu does

2. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile migration problem: Customer I work for is pulling in a smaller firm running Windows clean Azure. I am to get those users onto the On-prem domain and have been given the task to move not only their data but also their current user account experience. Going through everything I could find over...
  3. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile migration problem: Customer I work for is pulling in a smaller firm running Windows clean Azure. I am to get those users onto the On-prem domain and have been given the task to move not only their data but also their current user account experience. Going through everything I could find over...
  4. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Migrate from domain profile to local profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate from domain profile to local profile: Here is my situation, I had a Windows server set up in my house with PCs connected to it on my network. I took the server out of operation a few years ago but have been logging into my PCs with the same accounts with no issues. A few days ago I wanted to change the password...
  6. Migrate from domain profile to local profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrate from domain profile to local profile: Here is my situation, I had a Windows server set up in my house with PCs connected to it on my network. I took the server out of operation a few years ago but have been logging into my PCs with the same accounts with no issues. A few days ago I wanted to change the password...
  7. How to Remove Win 10 from domain and make domain user profile into a local user profile?

How to Remove Win 10 from domain and make domain user profile into a local user profile?: Hi, I have an environment with 10 clients that run Windows 10 Pro and I have a Synology DS918+ that runs as a Domain ControllerSynology Directory Server just as Active Directory. The clients have been joined to the domain and there exists domain users that have and use...
  8. User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE

User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE: Summary: Originally The below post was posted by Johan Ole Svensson as the result of an internal Survey on his part. Sadly he made the mistake to just point to the excellent answer over at "Experts Exchange" but "Experts Exchange" have shut down access for users without a...
  9. Migrate Locale Profile to Domain

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Migrate Locale Profile to Domain: Hi Everyone, Does anyone know how to migrate a local profile to a domain profile without software? I have some Windows 10 computers that are setup as workgroups, but we need to move them to the company domain. I want to ensure that users don't lose their files, settings,...
  10. Unable to open Edge after profile migration

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to open Edge after profile migration: Hi All, Looking for a little help with the MS Edge following a profile migration... The browser flashes the blue screen with the Egde logo and the terminates (no processes for Edge in task manager). I obviously installed Windows 10 and then I migrated the profile by...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 not loading all user start menu domain account