Windows 10: Start Menu doesn't appear

Discus and support Start Menu doesn't appear in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Help! I'm working on my friend's Win 10 laptop, I just moved it from a mechanical hard disk to an SSD, but now the start menu doesn't appear when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dukeofurl, Mar 13, 2016.

1. dukeofurl Win User

Start Menu doesn't appear

Help! I'm working on my friend's Win 10 laptop, I just moved it from a mechanical hard disk to an SSD, but now the start menu doesn't appear when I left click on the Win logo (Though right clicking on it does the normal right click stuff)

I tried doing an SFC /Scannow - but that did not have any results. Though I'd swear I ran it before, and it said there were system problems, but it could not fix them.

My friend insisted that I delete the system repair partitions that were there before, and while I don't know for sure they were related, I suspect now that the are. But can't it get the files it needs off a Win 10 CD? - But regardless, it says it doesn't need it now, though I think otherwise. The problem with the start menu doing nothing when I click it is the main issue.

thanks

:)

dukeofurl, Mar 13, 2016

2. Start menu doesn't appear

I have a Surface 3 pro since December 2015, and it has work fine until now. Now, the Start menu doesn't appear. The menu from the right button works and thanks to that I can use the Surface.

I've tried to look into the support and the previous similar issues, but all of them refers to one year ago and the solutions they suggest to fix the problem don't work.

On the other hand, I don't know how to see what "Build" I've installed, and I don't know whether the issues reported correspond to my system..

Thank you

Joan_Valverde, Mar 13, 2016
  3. Start Menu doesn't appears

Hello,

Since one week, my start menu (shell experience) doesn't appears when I click on it (neither with the Windows key).

I have my side bar (bottom of the screen) with my main programs pinned and I can left click to open them but I have not access to the Start Menu.

I cannont either click on the clock/news(notifications)/or sound icons on the right bottom of the screen. But I can strangely right click on it.

I did a recovery but it didn't worked (haven't solved the problem).

So I can't access Cortana and Start Menu and I only can search my programs or launch them by the explorer with (Windows key + 'e') (indexation).

Thank you for your help and have a good day !

Flavien Brw., Mar 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

You might try 1,2, or 3 from this (do not try 4)
    SOLVED: Windows 10 Start Menu and Modern Apps Do Not Function - Up & Running Technologies Calgary

failing which do an in-place upgrade repair install
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    - which leaves all programs installed and most settings intact.

As to your partitions and disk structure, to have someone comment I'd suggest you
    a. Describe how you transferred the OS to the SSD
    b. Post a screenshot of diskmgmt.msc (type that in a run box)

I'd suggest you get that checked first if any doubts.

(There are many many threads on start menu issues on the forum- please feel free just to search
    start menu doesn't
    start men won't
    etc)

Good luck!

dalchina, Mar 13, 2016
  5. dukeofurl Win User
    Results of step 1: The system cannot find the file specified.

Results of step 2: Did not fix problem. Nothing seemed to happen at all.

Results of step 3: Error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information see ...
    The DISM log can be found at ...

I know you said to not do step 4, but I already did before talking to you, it did not help.

On the mechanical disk that was stock, since there was not much there, I shrunk the partition to smaller than the SSD, and then cloned it over to the SSD with Acronis True Image, and after cloning then expanded the OS partition to fill the space on the disk. There is 900 MB of Unallocated space that I can not seem to do anything with. I would like to use it in the OS partition of course, but can not for unknown reasons. I do not know what the 100 MB Healthy EFI partition is either.

Start Menu doesn't appear [​IMG]

I have already done that before talking to you. Most of them apply to the prerelease version of Win 10, not the version that I am using. Also, most of them say to use PowerShell Command to Reregister packages. Done that, it did not work.

I am afraid of having to do that repair install, but I am also afraid it will fail because the partitions were deleted.

thank you

dukeofurl, Mar 14, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Disk structure: (I'm not an expert hence my comment above) but you should have
    - an EFI partition
    FYI:
    EFI system partition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    - with commentary here:
    boot - How do the and UEFI *.efi files relate? - Super User
    - a recovery partition of around 450Mb - that's Windows recovery not manufacturer's of course
    "Without this the PC will still boot except you cannot create the recovery disk or get into Recovery Environment for trouble shooting."
    - a Windows 'C' partition
    for Win 10 on UEFI.

I'm not going to attempt to comment further on that, but it would be better to make sure you've got that right (= as it would be expected to be after installing Win 10 normally). Correcting this can be complex.

If you're really lucky an in-place repair may also create the recovery partition- I don't know. But I guess you'd need room available on your disk.

So..
    You've already used the Powershell commands (which break apps since the November build 10586 - they typically appear in the start menu with an @ before them and don't work).

That means your only way forward is the in-place upgrade repair install.

This I've used a couple of times, and have been impressed. It is relatively safe, and one of the best innovations in Win 10.
    If you know what disk imaging is (and you should, 'cos it offers such great security), then create a disk image before doing this.
    Thus if anything goes wrong you can always restore your image - provided you also create the imaging program's boot disk.
    Macrium Reflect free is recommended by many. There are others.

The in-place upgrade will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

You certainly won't be able to merge the unallocated space with your windows partition using diskmgmt.msc or from within Windows.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu doesn't appear - Similar Threads - Start Menu doesn't

2. PIN prompt doesn't appear in windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PIN prompt doesn't appear in windows 10 start menu: I've had the laptop that the problem is occuring on Acer Swift 1 for maybe a couple of year now. Since a couple of days ago, it has been booting as usual, but when I go to enter my PIN the prompt never appears. It shows a faded screen with the 3 icons in the bottom right, but...
  3. New Menu appears on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Menu appears on Start Menu: I have a problem on my computer. When I am opening the Start Menu to turn my computer off I have to click on the symbol for shutting down and then on "turn off". But if I am too slow with my mouse or clicking on the right part of the symbol a new useless menu opens up where...
  4. Start Menu does not appear

Start Menu does not appear: Hello, Start Menu does not appear when users click on Windows Icon at desktop Screen. Could anyone suggest what could be the issue. This has been a general problem in windows 10 Regards, Rakesh...
  5. Not appearing start menu

in Cortana
    Not appearing start menu: Yesterday, i updated my windows 10 version 2004. when finished update and restart my laptop. After restart when i click start option i can't see program list because when i click start menu logo auto appear search option above start menu ! Even i am not seen shutdown option,...
  6. start menu not appearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu not appearing: so my problem is that windows start menu is completely invisible, it still functions i can open apps by typing the name of the application and it will run. i have tried: DISM scan which said to not reveal any corruptions , i have tried a similar scan in power-shell which...
  7. Start menu not appearing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu not appearing.: I changed out of Window S mode so that MS Office will work, but now Start menu will not appear when Start button is pushed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-not-appearing/9d72de98-ce1c-47da-af72-f50a54470740
  8. Start Menu Appearance On Open

Start Menu Appearance On Open: Hello everyone. I've loved this sight and its Windows 7 counterpart for long time. Thank you for all the work you do and for the information you provide. My question is can I make the Start Menu open up like what is shown in the image below, instead of the long list of...
  9. All Apps doesn't appears in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Apps doesn't appears in Start Menu: Hi, my name's Pedro and I'm using Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14332. I have a laptop Lenovo Yoga 11s, Intel I5 3339Y, 8GB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (last driver) and 128GB SSD card. In the last build (14328), after a good install and a normal work short period, the All...
  10. Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu: Hello. I have Sysinternals Autoruns installed. I created a shortcut to the executable, moved the shortcut to "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals Software", but it simply will not show in my start menu, even after a reboot (several...