Windows 10: Start menu doesnt close when you open windows explorer from it

Discus and support Start menu doesnt close when you open windows explorer from it in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm curious if its just me, or if anyone else is experiencing this. Since the last content update (20H2), the behavior of the start menu seems to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kayson, Jan 28, 2021.

1. /u/kayson Win User

Start menu doesnt close when you open windows explorer from it

I'm curious if its just me, or if anyone else is experiencing this. Since the last content update (20H2), the behavior of the start menu seems to have changed.

If I open any program from the start menu, whether via searching or clicking an icon, the start menu closes.

However, if I open any directory, whether via the search or clicking an icon, the start menu stays open.

Interestingly, mapped network drives do not have this problem.

Anyone else seeing this?

submitted by /u/kayson
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kayson, Jan 28, 2021

2. Start Menu opens and closes suddenly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to make your start menu work and check if it helps.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following 2 commands in the Powershell prompt:
      • $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifestand press Enter.
      • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"}and press Enter.
    • Close the Powershell window.
    • Reboot.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further queries, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jan 28, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 28, 2021
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Start menu and settings both wont open.

Hello Robert,

As per the description of the issue, you are unable to open both Windows Settings and Start menu. For us to resolve this issue, we suggest that you perform troubleshooting. Here's an

article
    that you can go to. In here, you'll see solutions to resolve Start menu issues.

To resolve Windows Settings issue, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Boot into Safe Mode.
    • Open a command prompt windows.
    • Type sfc/scannow, and then hit Enter.
    • Once it's finished, restart the computer to check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists after doing the steps above, kindly refer to this
    link
    for further troubleshooting.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Start menu doesnt close when you open windows explorer from it - Similar Threads - Start menu doesnt

2. Start menu closes immediately when open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu closes immediately when open: When I click or press the shortcut key the start menu closes immediately. It only flashes for second and does nothing. I tried restarting the PC but still wont make it. This issue only occurs after I perform system restore on the device for different concern....
  3. Start menu closes immediately when open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu closes immediately when open: When I click or press the shortcut key the start menu closes immediately. It only flashes for second and does nothing. I tried restarting the PC but still wont make it. This issue only occurs after I perform system restore on the device for different concern....
  4. Start menu closes immediately when open

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Search in file explorer from start menu opens and then quickly closes

in Windows 10 Support
    Search in file explorer from start menu opens and then quickly closes: Hello, In windows 10 V21H1 I am trying to do a text search from the start menu. I hit start, type a few characters, click "Documents" along the top and then click "search in file explorer". This very quickly opens up a file explorer window which then immediately closes. My...
  6. When I open the start menu, it just closes

When I open the start menu, it just closes: When I press the windows key, the start menu comes up for a split second then closes. If you can give any suggestions or solutions to help me fix it that would be greatly appreciated....
  7. File explorer not opening from start menu (repost)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu (repost): [ATTACH] REPOST, ORIGINAL HERE I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for...
  8. File explorer not opening from start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu: [ATTACH] I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for solutions but they were...
  9. When I open my start menu it just closes itself

When I open my start menu it just closes itself: Hi everyone, the problem I have with my windows start menu is that when I click on it, it opens, but when I try and click anything in it just closes itself....
  10. Inability to open file explorer from start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Inability to open file explorer from start menu: I am not able to open the file explorer through the option on the start menu, or by clicking on the file explorer pinned to the task bar. When I click the pinned file explorer the window that pops up says "Windows cannot find ''. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and...