Windows 10: Start Menu doesn't update when shortcuts in AppData are changed

Discus and support Start Menu doesn't update when shortcuts in AppData are changed in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; If I move stuff around in \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs the start menu updates right away, but if I modify things in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by stuffedtiger, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Start Menu doesn't update when shortcuts in AppData are changed

If I move stuff around in \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs the start menu updates right away, but if I modify things in \Users\[account]\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs I have to restart my computer for the changes to take. I tried closing the Start program it will relaunch itself automatically but that doesn't fully refresh the catalog.

:)

stuffedtiger, Apr 16, 2020

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Apr 16, 2020
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Start Menu doesn't update when shortcuts in AppData are changed [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Apr 16, 2020
  4. MDD0799 Win User

Start Menu doesn't update when shortcuts in AppData are changed

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Sergiy Shklyar - You are a genius. This is the solution for pinning a non-executable to the Start Menu. Many thanks.

MDD0799, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

Start Menu doesn't update when shortcuts in AppData are changed

1. Start Menu doesn't update when shortcuts in AppData are changed - Similar Threads - Start Menu doesn't

2. Start menu broken shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu broken shortcut: Hello guys, I have an issue here. When I was rearrange my start menu I found a doubled "Word" icon, and I tried to remove it.But when I tried to find this shortcut location with right click then 'more', there is no 'Open file location' option.I've already look in start menu...
  3. Document Shortcuts on Start Menu

Document Shortcuts on Start Menu: I upgraded from 1909 to 20H2. It appears that document shortcuts on startmenu is not longer supported. The shortcuts are still in the StartMenu/Programs folder and function if clicked on directly, but they no longer appear in the start menu and cannot be pinned. I was able...
  4. Start menu in appdata

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu in appdata: I accidentally deleted the folder in User\nijith\appdata\roaming\.... start menu folder now iam unable to open windows powershell. please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-in-appdata/da6bf4f0-d315-4dfb-a269-0ecd5cecf37c
  5. Removing Start Menu shortcuts

Removing Start Menu shortcuts: Is there a way to remove Built-In application shortcuts from the Start Menu? I don't mean uninstall the application, but just remove its shortcut; shortcuts (examples in red) as seen in the attached picture. 149158
  6. Change Start Menu Shortcut

Change Start Menu Shortcut: I recently reinstalled a program and the shortcut in the start menu points to a incorrect location, so the program won't start. How do I change the shortcut to point to the correct location?...
  7. uTorrent doesn't creat start menu shortcut or taskbar icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    uTorrent doesn't creat start menu shortcut or taskbar icon: As per title, anyone else found this? Is there anything I can do to make it install properly? Thanks 21085
  8. Start menu shortcuts doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu shortcuts doesn't work: After installing Creators Update, programs shortcuts already uninstalled continues to show on start menu. For example, I uninstalled Forza Motorsport 6, and if I type "Forza..." in the start menu, the shortcut appears and if I click nothing happens, either with the left...
  9. Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu: Hello. I have Sysinternals Autoruns installed. I created a shortcut to the executable, moved the shortcut to "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals Software", but it simply will not show in my start menu, even after a reboot (several...
  10. Small problem changing shortcuts in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Small problem changing shortcuts in start menu: Whenever I try to move, delete or rename a shortcut in \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or its subfolders, appears this window (but the shortcut is moved, deleted or renamed without problems): [img] Really it is not a problem, but it seems that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu doesnt refresh when creating shortcuts