Windows 10: Start menu, Edge, and other programs not opening after Windows 10 reset

Discus and support Start menu, Edge, and other programs not opening after Windows 10 reset in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I reset Windows 10 in an attempt to make my computer faster. After everything had finished installing, many core programs seem to be disfunctional.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by QuinnMagEskii, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Start menu, Edge, and other programs not opening after Windows 10 reset

I reset Windows 10 in an attempt to make my computer faster. After everything had finished installing, many core programs seem to be disfunctional.

The start menu does not open, either by mouse or by the windows button, and the search bar is unresponsive.

Edge does not open, so I cannot access the internet through a browser. It boots up and then immediately shuts down.

Apps and Features, System, Settings, and others do not open either.

I can still access PowerShell, Task Manager, File Explorer, and Microsoft Store.

I'm on a Microsoft Surface Book.

Please help.

:)

QuinnMagEskii, Jul 10, 2019

2. Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Jul 10, 2019
  3. scevism Win User
    scevism, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Jay Jap Win User

Start menu, Edge, and other programs not opening after Windows 10 reset

Edge disappeared and start menu not working on Windows 10

Hello Richard,

We need to do further investigation on your concern so that we can isolate the issue regarding Microsoft Edge and Start menu:

• Have you tried to searching in Cortana search to check if Edge can be located?
    • Besides powershell, what other troubleshooting steps have you performed?

In the meantime, you can download and run the
    Windows apps troubleshooter to isolate the issue on Edge.

We also suggest that you download and run the
    Start Menu troubleshooter to fix common Start menu issues.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

Start menu, Edge, and other programs not opening after Windows 10 reset

1. Start menu, Edge, and other programs not opening after Windows 10 reset - Similar Threads - Start menu Edge

2. No start menu or other icons after reset - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No start menu or other icons after reset - Windows 11: When resetting my computer or turning it on for the day and logging into any of my accounts the center taskbar icons fail to load. I did notice the left and right-side taskbar function as intended but only the center icons fail to load. In order to remedy this, I have had to...
  3. No start menu or other icons after reset - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No start menu or other icons after reset - Windows 11: When resetting my computer or turning it on for the day and logging into any of my accounts the center taskbar icons fail to load. I did notice the left and right-side taskbar function as intended but only the center icons fail to load. In order to remedy this, I have had to...
  4. Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs: Hi all, I have removed all unnecessary apps, etc from the Start Menu list - however there are Folders, for example, "Ease of Access" --- where once removed from the Start Menu folder list %appdata/programdata% --- the applications within the folder no longer work when calling...
  5. Windows 10 Start Menu Programs

Windows 10 Start Menu Programs: Can Windows 10 display all programs as a list of files and folders like Windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-programs/d3be5cd6-4220-42d6-bec4-b4f36e667f91
  6. Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset: Hello! After wiping my computer and reinstalling windows the start menu stopped working. every time I click on the start menu the cursor shows it loading for a second then nothing happens, same with the notification center. The search bar wont work either, but it shows no...
  7. Start Menu and Programs Won't Open

Start Menu and Programs Won't Open: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, it will show starting Word...
  8. Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu: Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems after I did a clean install so that was very good. I just have one small issue but after that's fixed I should be perfect. The only problem I'm having now is when I...
  9. Can't open programs from the start menu

Can't open programs from the start menu: Hi, everyone. So this issue just started happening today. I am currently on the anniversary build and when I search for a program in the start menu and try to open it, it won't open. Things like run, Chrome, etc. all won't open. Basic windows apps such as the calculator seem...
  10. Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu: Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems (listed below) after I did a clean install so that was very good. I just have one small issue but after that's fixed I should be perfect. The only problem I'm having...