Windows 10: Start menu / experience disabled after upgrade to v10..

Discus and support Start menu / experience disabled after upgrade to v10.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I finally got around to upgrading my daughters ASUS tablet and now for her login, there is no start experience at all...the windows key does nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by castlewalls, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Start menu / experience disabled after upgrade to v10..

I finally got around to upgrading my daughters ASUS tablet and now for her login, there is no start experience at all...the windows key does nothing unless I hold it and then it pops up the context menu. So unless I teach my 8 year old how to use the RUN prompt to load apps, the tablet is useless.

The tablet was running windows 8.1 and prior to win10 upgrade I did several rounds of checking / installing updates so as far as I know the tablet was current. To upgrade, I used what Windows update linked me to, so a released and I assume current version. I have seen many people post similar issues but from what I all saw, they were older and with pre-release win10 builds.

After I upgraded the tablet, with no issues, her start menu was working great. So, I did another cycle of updates so I could hand her the tablet totally current. There were some updates installed and after a few cycles of that and restarting, her login is in this useless state. I login as me and the start experience is great and working as expected.

after upgrade there was Cumulative update that got stuck and would not install but i was able to manualy download it from the Microsoft update site and install it locally. In case it matters, it was Windows 10 (KB3097617) - error 0x80004005

I ran msconfig and by default "selective startup" is selected. I change it to "Normal startup" and click apply and immediately "selective startup" is the active choice. I honestly do not know if that is an issue or just an non intuitive dialog.

any ideas?

I guess that given my login behaves correctly, that i could remove her login and add it back but I was hoping someone has suggestions before I go through exercise.
    Thanks for our time! -Craig

:)

castlewalls, Oct 14, 2015

2. BRING BACK W10 START MENU

Classic Shell START MENU... INSTALLED JUST AFTER UPGRADED 81->10

HOW DISABLE IT AND TRY W10 TILES START MENU...?BRING BACK W10 START MENU

Lse123polis, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Upgrade to v10

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc), games and settings (ie. passwords,
    custom dictionary, application settings).

However it is a good practice to backup most important data before the upgrade.

Text from Andre Da Costa

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 14, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Start menu / experience disabled after upgrade to v10..

Login to your account and do all the updates. Eventually the touch screen software will be updated and should work better in her account. If not, try downloading and installing it from manufacturer site. In case that some program doesn't run OK in her account because of limited privileges, try temporarily converting her account to administrator and see if the problem is fixed. Then you can try making it a limited account again. You could also install Classic Shell to see if it makes any difference in her account.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  5. nope, it did not help. I logged in as admin, got all the latest updates and restarted several times. I finally copied all the files, mostly pictures and videos to the SD card and removed her profile all together. it was a bit of work as the tablet is smallish with no USB port (for say a mouse) and given I could only get to the desktop and file explorer, it took some time to use my finger to drag around files and such. Afterwards someone had a good suggestion that I should of remote connected into the tablet from another computer and that would like have made the file cleanup easier.

Anyway, after i removed her profile and restarted (just to be sure) and added her profile back, added the new location of the video/picture folders as additional library locations and she is all set.

castlewalls, Oct 23, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Then for some reason (malware?) her old account had a problem. It is a good idea to search for malware using Malwarebytes Antimalware, just to be on the safe side.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start menu / experience disabled after upgrade to v10..

1. Start menu / experience disabled after upgrade to v10.. - Similar Threads - Start menu experience

2. Start menu experience host stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu experience host stopped working: Daily, the event viewer shows error for start menu experience.A screen shot is attached.No problems found in sfc, DISM, chkdsk.Tried looking on the web, but so much geek speak.Anyone have a solution , in plain and simple English, for a 78 year old who is not a computer geek?...
  3. Start menu experience host stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu experience host stopped working: Daily, the event viewer shows error for start menu experience.A screen shot is attached.No problems found in sfc, DISM, chkdsk.Tried looking on the web, but so much geek speak.Anyone have a solution , in plain and simple English, for a 78 year old who is not a computer geek?...
  4. Start menu experience host stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Start Menu Experience Host Application Fails

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Experience Host Application Fails: Hello,I have been having a problem with the StartMenuExperienceHost crashing when I click on Start then open an App from there. This did not seem to start until after the installation of Cumulative Update of KB5035941. Another thing I have noticed along with this and I do not...
  6. No start menu after latest Windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No start menu after latest Windows upgrade: Dear Microsoft, After my Laptop (Toshiba Kirabook) updates itself with the latest Windows upgrade the system logging in extremely slow (5 minutes) and have no start menu. Once the PC logged in and running there are no performance issues just the missing start menu (and the...
  7. Disable theme colors for start menu

Disable theme colors for start menu: I just installed the May Update of Windows 10 and was seeing the new theme feature which lets us to choose between light or dark colors. I noticed that the light color on the taskbar looks great but doesn't look that nice in the start menu (I use the full screen start menu)....
  8. Disable web searches in Start menu

in Cortana
    Disable web searches in Start menu: I need to be able to disable web searches in the Start menu. We have several Windows 10 laptops that we use to administer exams, and obviously we cannot have students able to search the internet during their exams. Having no way to disable this feature makes these laptops...
  9. Disable Start Menu Hover

Disable Start Menu Hover: Hey there! When I'm in the main desktop and I hover over the start button for 2 seconds, the start menu appears. Is there any way to disable that? It's REALLY annoying. Thanks in advance. 36417
  10. Start menu Personalization Disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu Personalization Disabled: Had to try a few different methods to get the start menu not working problem to go away. Finally I had to go back to a restore point from just after the upgrade from Windows 7 to get the start menu to work again. Now I try to turn back on the folders in Personalization >...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 disable start experience

2. start menu experience disabled

3. start \menu experience disabled