Windows 10: Start menu file explorer error

Discus and support Start menu file explorer error in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; when accessing file explorer through the start menu only, I get this error: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Windows cannot access the specified device path,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrennanHawkins, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Start menu file explorer error

when accessing file explorer through the start menu only, I get this error:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe Windows cannot access the specified device path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

going to the path stated and launching the program works fine and pinning it to the taskbar works but for some reason this won't.

any ideas would be helpful.

:)

BrennanHawkins, Feb 28, 2019

2. Windows 10 Start Menu File Explorer button error "Windows cannot access the specified device ..."

Hi All,

I have a strange error with windows start menu today! Please check the attached two images:

Notes (before reproducing steps):

• My laptop is up without restart for 11 days till now, I am a software engineer.
    • I have ended the explorer processes and relaunched it from the task manager.
    • File Explorer button in the start menu opens "This PC".
    • I can open the Explorer normally by
      • Menu Button + E
      • File Explorer pinned to the taskbar

• I can't open the File Explorer by Start Menu > File Explorer Button

• I don't want to restart, I have a lot of work on other desktops, restart solves this problem. Obviously, it is a bug.

Steps to reproduce the error:

• open the start menu
    • click on file explorer button
      • an error message appears with "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

Step 1:

Start menu file explorer error fad2ccec-0d7c-4272-9c89-08b9eb0f0083?upload=true.png

Step 2 & result:

Start menu file explorer error 06f0a347-02ec-4462-acd2-2d5f32d5199d?upload=true.png

Steps were taken trying to resolve the issue:

• I tried to restart the explorer process from task manager, but with no success.
    • I tried to replace the shortcut the file explorer button points at, but still with no hope.
    • I checked the permissions of the "explorer.exe" process in "Windows" folder, and I have the correct permissions. I even tried to double click the file "explorer.exe" and it normally opened the explorer without a problem!

I guess it is a problem with the File Explorer button itself in the start menu (A GUI problem), maybe a corrupted registry key!

Software and Hardware Specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.309

Dell Inspiron 7559

Quad Cores i5 2.3 GHz

8 GB Ram

Thank you very much.

ahmedhamdy90, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Ralph Sta Win User
    File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Dengar Win User

Start menu file explorer error

Inability to open file explorer from start menu

I am not able to open the file explorer through the option on the start menu, or by clicking on the file explorer pinned to the task bar. When I click the pinned file explorer the window that pops up says "Windows cannot find ''. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I am able to navigate through to my files by going to the start menu file explorer's jump list (clicking the arrow to the right of the file explorer option on the start menu). All of these issues began after I had been messing around with custom themes. I ran UltraUXThemePatcher_3.0.4 and then I changed the following files (themeui.dll,uxinit.dll, and uxtheme.dll). Next, I ran a registry editor file that made it so I can take ownership via right click. I also followed these steps in this article: [Windows 10 Tip] Remove Icons from Navigation Pane of This PC - AskVG
    up to the end of "Part 2: Remove Quick Access Icon From Navigation Pane of This PC".
    The last thing I did was install a custom icon pack.

Dengar, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Start menu file explorer error

1. Start menu file explorer error - Similar Threads - Start menu file

2. Why was the start menu and file explorer removed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why was the start menu and file explorer removed?: I use them for everything and I haven't installed Win11 yet but this change makes me not want to update to win 11 at all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-was-the-start-menu-and-file-explorer-removed/15770e8c-dd38-4fcc-a946-7b39b6725f62
  3. File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu: I can no longer start File Explorer from the Start Menu link, or task bar link on Win 11. When pressed the screen goes off, reappears without icons or task bar then goes back to normal. File Explorer isn't visible but is running in Task Manager. Shortcuts to existing folders...
  4. File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu: I can no longer start File Explorer from the Start Menu link, or task bar link on Win 11. When pressed the screen goes off, reappears without icons or task bar then goes back to normal. File Explorer isn't visible but is running in Task Manager. Shortcuts to existing folders...
  5. File explorer and start menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer and start menu won't open: I was trying to fix an issue I was having with all windows/store apps crashing on startup. I used this website and followed the steps of changing permissions for the things listed there. Now when I try to open file explorer get an error message of this file does not have an...
  6. Start Menu and File Explorer search broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu and File Explorer search broken: For some reason, when I click on the search icon on the start menu, or the search box in file explorer, nothing happens. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm on v2004. submitted by /u/badass-techie [link] [comments]...
  7. File explorer not opening from start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu: [ATTACH] I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for solutions but they were...
  8. How to pin File Explorer to the Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to pin File Explorer to the Start menu: Pls. tell me how to pin File Explorer to the Start menu, so that I will have it in 2 places (also on taskbar), so that I can open it separately (twice) at the same time....
  9. File Explorer Crashes and Critical Error on Windows Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Crashes and Critical Error on Windows Start Menu: Help! File Explorer will not open - constantly crashes Windows Start Menu will not open - Critical Error Message stating it will try to fix next time I sign in but this does not work. Have tried safe mode - no luck, removing battery from laptop, uninstalled Dropbox,...
  10. "File Explorer" button in Start menu is not working

in Windows 10 Support
    "File Explorer" button in Start menu is not working: My "File Explorer" button in Start menu is not working. When I press on it nothing happens. Already tried: SFC/scannow, reboot, restart explorer.exe 44528