Windows 10: Start Menu Freeze

Discus and support Start Menu Freeze in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. No incompatibilities were reported during that process and W10 worked fine on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PNWPhil, Mar 15, 2019.

1. PNWPhil Win User

Start Menu Freeze

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. No incompatibilities were reported during that process and W10 worked fine on my primary user account.

Several days after the install, I went to set up my wife's infrequently used second user. I got there fine initially. However, when I shifted back to my primary user account, the Start menu opened immediately on the primary user account with all of the tiles visible. However, none of the tiles responded to mouse commands and when I tried to close the start menu all of the tiles blurred out, the Start menu window became a hazy gray, and the computer froze. After several minutes of trying various keyboard and mouse commands unsuccessfully, the Start menu closes and normal operation is restored. Have now observed this multiple times and it occurs when switching between users going either way.

I have run SFC, which found no integrity violations.

The computer is a HP 17" Envy Laptop with a SSD and 16GB of RAM.

So far this is just an aggravation, but I would like to fix it NOW before it becomes worse. I would prefer not to reinstall all window apps or refresh the system. Anyone else seen this problem, or have any other diagnostic or repair suggestions?

:)

PNWPhil, Mar 15, 2019

2. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Mar 15, 2019
  3. mcrider2 Win User
    Start menu and Cortana not working/freezes?

I had this issue about two weeks ago ("Critical Error -- Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in."). At that time I tried the steps you listed above and it worked but now those steps are no longer working.
    Do you have any other suggestions? I have been having various issues with Windows 10 ever since I converted from Windows 7. But this is the worst problem.

Thanks

mcrider2, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Start Menu Freeze

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu Freeze

1. Start Menu Freeze - Similar Threads - Start Menu Freeze

2. Start menu freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu freezes: The start menu freezes and its really pain I need to restart the computer since once it freeze the whole machine cant be access. I need hep on this. No updates pending on my machine so updates will not help. The only thing help is restarting the whole machine, but it is time...
  3. Start menu freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu freezes: The start menu freezes and its really pain I need to restart the computer since once it freeze the whole machine cant be access. I need hep on this. No updates pending on my machine so updates will not help. The only thing help is restarting the whole machine, but it is time...
  4. Start menu freezes

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start Menu and Settings app freezing

Start Menu and Settings app freezing: This issue is random.Start Menu freezes when ever I search up something, but is random and is not frequent.Settings app freezes when ever I open it and is stuck on the gear icon for a minute or so, this is also random and not frequent....
  6. start menu and taskbar freezes everytime

start menu and taskbar freezes everytime: After system restore my start menu and taskbar acting strange. It freezes everytime I open apps or click anything on the taskbar. It will show not responding. Any apps I tried it will show the same either windows apps or third party applications. I need help...
  7. start menu and taskbar freezes everytime

start menu and taskbar freezes everytime: After system restore my start menu and taskbar acting strange. It freezes everytime I open apps or click anything on the taskbar. It will show not responding. Any apps I tried it will show the same either windows apps or third party applications. I need help...
  8. start menu and taskbar freezes everytime

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Opening the Start Menu freezes PC

Opening the Start Menu freezes PC: Hello, I recently started to face an issue on my windows 10, whenever i i open the start menu, i am unable to perform a search and after a few seconds, my system freezes. Same issue persists. Not sure what is causing this problem, can anyone please shed some light on...
  10. Start menu freezes for less then a minute

Start menu freezes for less then a minute: When I click on the start menu, the start menu freezes for less then a minute. This issue happens randomly. Only the start menu freezes not the computer. If any of the program is open on a different 2nd monitor I can use the program without any issue. I'm the only person in...