Windows 10: Start Menu frozen after clicking shortcut while Hard Drive wakes up

Discus and support Start Menu frozen after clicking shortcut while Hard Drive wakes up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 8, if I brought up the screen start menu and clicked on tile to launch, it would click and immediately return to the desktop until the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stevecn70, Aug 5, 2015.

1. stevecn70 Win User

Start Menu frozen after clicking shortcut while Hard Drive wakes up

In Windows 8, if I brought up the screen start menu and clicked on tile to launch, it would click and immediately return to the desktop until the program could start, which indicates that I clicked the tile successfully.

Now in Windows 10, I bring up start and click on a tile and then the start menu just sits there until the program can load. Sometimes it takes a few seconds if the program is on a hard drive that has to wake up. There isn't any indication that you clicked on the tile so sometimes you click again, resulting in launching the program twice.

It is pretty annoying and was wondering if this was normal now?

:)

stevecn70, Aug 5, 2015
  2. kureoshin Win User

Laptop battery is dying during sleep on Windows 10

Hi, I'm not sure it is a problem with the battery.

I forgot to mention this but every time I wake my computer up, the next day the taskbar is frozen and I can't open much on the computer besides the task manager. One time I tried logging off and on after waking the laptop up but the taskbar remained frozen
    and I got an error message saying that the search bar and cortana experienced an error and that I needed to restart the pc to resolve the problem (if I can recall the message correctly). So, I have been forced to restart my laptop after waking it up for a
    while now.

kureoshin, Aug 5, 2015
  3. llmgtab Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade in progress - nothing on screen

I started up the Windows 10 upgrade. It started up, saying it could take a while so I stepped away. Been over an hour and there is nothing on my screen and there is no response to wake it up (I have only moved mouse and tapped on space bar to see if that
    would wake it up). The hard drive light is spinning. Has been like this for over 30 minutes, been about 1.5 hours since I started it.

Is this normal? I would expect some type of progress bar or something.

llmgtab, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

Start Menu frozen after clicking shortcut while Hard Drive wakes up

1. Start Menu frozen after clicking shortcut while Hard Drive wakes up - Similar Threads - Start Menu frozen

2. start menu and searchbar is frozen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu and searchbar is frozen: I'm having issue when I use that start button it won't work, same thing with the search bar. If you try open the photo app it wl close right away.I fixed it by creating a new profile but it will go back eventually. What to do?...
  3. start menu and searchbar is frozen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu and searchbar is frozen: I'm having issue when I use that start button it won't work, same thing with the search bar. If you try open the photo app it wl close right away.I fixed it by creating a new profile but it will go back eventually. What to do?...
  4. start menu and searchbar is frozen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. hard drive at 100% immediately after start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive at 100% immediately after start up: My hard drive is running at 100% as soon as I start the Toshiba laptop. I have formatted the hard drive and fresh installed windows 10. As soon as I start the laptop and open Task Manager it shows as 100% before I start program eg Microsoft edge or Microsoft Solitaire...
  6. hard drive at 100% immediately after start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard drive at 100% immediately after start up: My hard drive is running at 100% as soon as I start the Toshiba laptop. I have formatted the hard drive and fresh installed windows 10. As soon as I start the laptop and open Task Manager it shows as 100% before I start program eg Microsoft edge or Microsoft Solitaire...
  7. Win10: second hard drive missing after wake up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10: second hard drive missing after wake up: Hi,sometimes when I have set my Win10-PC to sleep mode and then wake it up, one of my 2 hard drives is not available. Explorer only shows the drives on the first hard drive.The second hard drive only is available after a reboot.Is it possible to wake up the second drive...
  8. Hard Drive keeps waking up for no reason

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard Drive keeps waking up for no reason: So to make this easy on everyone, I removed the drive letter to my hard drive.And it still spins up for no reason.Gigabyte Aurora Elite Intel 10th gen.All Microsoft drivers as far as storage goes.. Why???...
  9. Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason: Hi, I formated my secondary hard drive, that means absolutely no data is currently being inside. The drive is excluded from Windows indexing and I programmed my drives to sleep after 1 minute for test purposes. When the drive occasionnally wakes up, Process Monitor doesn't...
  10. Can't click on Start Menu shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click on Start Menu shortcuts: So I'm having this weird bug where I can't click any of my start menu shortcuts when I search up the program (typing) I'm trying to execute but if I manually look for it (using scroll wheel) and clicking on the shortcut the program will execute? I've tried rebuilding my...