Windows 10: Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1

Discus and support Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The next version of Windows 10, Windows 10 19H1 delivered as the May 2019 Update at the end of May 2019, features several Start Menu improvements.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 18, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1

The next version of Windows 10, Windows 10 19H1 delivered as the May 2019 Update at the end of May 2019, features several Start Menu improvements.

Some of these improvements fall on the usability side of things: Microsoft changed the default Start Menu layout to a single-column layout for new installations instead of the currently used dual-column layout, and unlocked more apps for direct uninstallation using the Settings application.

Another usability improvement comes in the form of an option to remove entire groups from the Start Menu by unpinning the entire group. All that is needed for that is to right-click on the group title, e.g. the default Productivity or Explore, and to select the "Unpin group from Start" context menu option that is displayed.

Start Menu process

Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1 windows-10-start-menu-19h1.jpg

Another change affects the stability and performance of the Start Menu. Microsoft decided to move the Start Menu into its own process. Current Start Menu iterations rely on Explorer Shell; if anything slows down the Explorer process, the Start Menu is slowed down as a consequence as well.

By cutting the tie between Start and Explorer, issues that affect Explorer won't impact Start anymore once the May 2019 Update for Windows 10 is installed on a device (or newer versions).

The Start Menu process is StartMenuExperienceHost.exe; it is introduced with the May 2019 Update and users will see the process listed when they open the Windows Task Manager or use another process manager or explorer on the machine.

Just use Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager and switch to the Details tab to find the Start Menu process in the list of processes.

Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1 startmenuexperiencehost-process.png

The StartMenuExperienceHost.exe process is loaded from C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy. It is not a legitimate process if the file resides in any other location on the device.

Closing words

Gone are the times where Explorer issues take down the Start Menu as well; that is definitely a good development as it should improve Start responsiveness and stability significantly.

There is still lots of room for improvement, even if you compare the functionality of the Start Menu under Windows 10 with that of Windows 8.1. Windows 10's Start interface does not support multi-tile selections for one, something that Windows 8 did support (you can open multiple Start Menu apps in one operation though).

Now You: What is your Start Menu experience so far?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 18, 2019
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Apr 18, 2019
  3. Jetster Win User
    Jetster, Apr 18, 2019
  4. Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1

Windows 10 Start menu issue

yeah I've been less than happy with the start menu also.
    for me I for me I get freezes in start menu, especialy returning from sleep...which reminds me sleep is such a pain in the butt since I switch to Windows 10. Either waking up on its own, or system freezes when recovering from sleep

Stardock was a nice switch from vanilla, but i wasnt gonna buy it and 30 days goes by quick.

jboydgolfer, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1

1. Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1 - Similar Threads - Start Menu gets

2. Glance At & Boost Performance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Glance At & Boost Performance: Decided to share these thoughts, ideas & suggestions. The intent is 1 to offer a quick easy glance at performance and 2 boost performance actually, specifically RAM usage with A click.>> Install Dev Home and set it up showing certain of its widgets. This can, of course, be...
  3. Glance At & Boost Performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Glance At & Boost Performance: Decided to share these thoughts, ideas & suggestions. The intent is 1 to offer a quick easy glance at performance and 2 boost performance actually, specifically RAM usage with A click.>> Install Dev Home and set it up showing certain of its widgets. This can, of course, be...
  4. Optimize and boost Windows 10 performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimize and boost Windows 10 performance: Hello community, I am really need help to improve my laptop performance to have a best experience for gaming. Do anyone have any ideas ? Thank you very much. Sorry for bad english....
  5. Windows 10 seemingly randomly puts audio in mono and boosts volume on its own

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 seemingly randomly puts audio in mono and boosts volume on its own: Greetings. I have experienced an issue today, which has - frankly - left me baffled. I am also fairly certain this is a Windows 10 bug. Windows 10, in highly irregular intervals, suddenly starts outputting audio as mono, despite being set to stereo. It seems to be...
  6. Windows 10 starting on its own from shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 starting on its own from shutdown: Hi All, I am facing a weird issue. My computer starts on its own at a random time from a complete shutdown. I do not put my computer to sleep at all, I always shut down but after the latest update of 2004 version my PC is starting on its own magically at random times. I...
  7. Windows 10 Start Menu Keeps Popping Up On Its Own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu Keeps Popping Up On Its Own: I have a Samsung laptop running Windows 10 v. 1909 build 18363.657. The start menu keeps popping up on it's own which is extremely annoying and disruptive to my work! I've gone through every recommendation that Microsoft has listed on the forum as potential fixes going...
  8. Windows 10 version 1909 performance will get boost with favored cores

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 version 1909 performance will get boost with favored cores: The Intel processors have cores with different frequency and voltage characteristics, and the cores which can offer better performance than others are theoretically called the ‘Favored Core’. Microsoft’s current Windows 10 implementation and Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 move...
  9. Windows 10 19H1 update to improve Start Menu reliablity

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 19H1 update to improve Start Menu reliablity: Windows 10’s Start Menu hasn’t evolved much in the last few versions of the operating system, but some minor refinements have always made their way. Windows 10 19H1 update also introduces improvements for the Start Menu, including the ability to unpin the grouped tiles. In...
  10. Windows 10 starting on its own

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 starting on its own: I recently decided to build my own computer, however to my horror, Windows 10 is still not working and has caused my computer to randomly cut to black screen, not turn on when the power button is pressed and to restart itself only to cut out 5-10 seconds after powering on. No...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. startmenuexperiencehost.exe

2. startmenuexperiencehost end task

3. windows version from when StartMenuExperienceHost process launched

4. startmenuexperiencehost.exe start,
  5. start menu gets its own process startmenuexperiencehost from which version of windows 10,
  6. startmenuexperiencehost 600 p 98 til,
  7. start menu experience host.exe,
  8. startmenuexperience host,
  9. .StartMenuExperience,
  10. start menu gets its own process