Windows 10: Start Menu Groups

Discus and support Start Menu Groups in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I want to change the squares that are included in the groups on my start menu, but it says they are locked. How do I unlock them?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GregCibuzar, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Start Menu Groups

I want to change the squares that are included in the groups on my start menu, but it says they are locked. How do I unlock them?

:)

GregCibuzar, Mar 23, 2020

2. Start menu tile groups -- On one pc only first two groups show up

I have upgraded three computers to Windows 10. On the first two, the start menu shows app tiles in three groups. The first group has calendar, email, edge browser, etc. The second has games, news and entertainment.

The third group appears to have a tile for every application and program that is installed. However, the third computer only shows the first two groups of tiles.

Also, I don't know if this is related: When I type the name of an application, usually the system quickly infers which application I mean. But the third computer does not know about "Word" not "Office Word". For Word, it only suggests Wordpad. It does know
    about "winword", though.

Also, the start menu has a list of recently used applications. Most applications in this list also have an associated list of recent documents. But the third computer never remembers that I have recently used Microsoft Office 2007 Word, and never offers a list
    of recently opened/saved documents.

How can I make the third computer behave like the first two?

KillyKeidy, Mar 23, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Start Menu Groups

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Start Menu Groups

1. Start Menu Groups - Similar Threads - Start Menu Groups

2. Stuck start menu group (can't delete)

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck start menu group (can't delete): Got a couple of empty groups I can't delete. They normally go away when you delete all the tiles, but these didn't. I ran my usual script to delete all bloatware from MS that comes pre-installed, so their tiles got removed but a couple groups got stuck. What I tried: 1)...
  3. Remove all groups from start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove all groups from start menu: I have limited space on my start menu and would like to take up all of it with icons. I do not need nor want to group the icons and create blank space between them. I want to use that space. But it seems impossible to have no groups or just one. Whenever I try to get all the...
  4. More Groups on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    More Groups on Start Menu: I know how to add and remove things from the Start menu but is it possible to add more Groups? I can only see 4, which can be renamed, but I'd like a few more in order to organise my icons. 23789
  5. How Delete a Group From Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How Delete a Group From Start Menu: I somehow created a Group in the Start Menu and now I want to get rid of it. It is located at the top of the Start Menu. [img] How can it be deleted? Rt-Clicking it doesn't bring up anything. 82935
  6. How apps are grouped under the Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How apps are grouped under the Start menu: Noticed in Windows 10 that when I install different products from the same developer they all end up under the "root" developer folder rather than in sub-groups lacking a better word for it but hope you still understand what I mean. I have lots of airport scenery products...
  7. How to remove group dividers in Start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove group dividers in Start menu?: Can't really find any info on this. Is it possible to not have group dividers when reorganizing tiles? Every time I try a different setup, a bar pops up and spaces my tiles differently than what I want. 48303
  8. Can start menu groups be made wider?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can start menu groups be made wider?: I currently use custom "wide" size live tiles as game shortcuts, and I would like to be able to make my "games" group wider or, ideally, turn off grouping altogether because I only have games pinned. Are either of these things possible? EDIT: This thread is NOT solved,...
  9. Defining groups in the Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Defining groups in the Start menu: In W8.1 it was possible to define groups of tiles with titles for each group on the start screen. Has anybody figured ot how to do that in the W10 start menu. 5276
  10. Group names on start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Group names on start menu: Is there a setting to remove "group names" and grouping on the start menu. To the right of the group name input box there is a "2 slice" hamburger that does not do anything except invite naming of the group. I would prefer to have free alignment if that is possible. 53954