Windows 10: Start menu has weird-overlapping UI since May update

Discus and support Start menu has weird-overlapping UI since May update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hi! Ever since I installed the 2020 May update a few days ago, my start menu is looking pretty weird. The below screenshot illustrates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/djani97, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Start menu has weird-overlapping UI since May update

Start menu has weird-overlapping UI since May update HBcEM6K6CdnJh3hYTY51_vFh-V711YLOOrX2icUD0Q0.jpg

Hi!

Ever since I installed the 2020 May update a few days ago, my start menu is looking pretty weird.

The below screenshot illustrates how my start menu looks when I open it up. I do not press any buttons, I do not start typing. It just looks like this, initially.

It's like the two UIs (Start Menu and Search) are overlapping each other. If I click on the power button, the context menu opens up below the Search UI, so it's barely visible and almost unusable. The rest of the Start Menu is completely out-of-reach and inaccessible.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Start Menu, right after opening it

After clicking the Power button, the context menu and the tool-tip are both covered by the Search interface

submitted by /u/djani97
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/djani97, Jun 25, 2020
  2. HairyFool Win User

Tiles in Start Menu overlapping

Mostly after a restart the Start Menu tiles overlap.

The top row is pushed down so it ends up unintelligible, this includes the tile group titles.

My workaround is to hold down on a lower tile to enter Start Menu edit mode when the top row springs up into the correct position. When I then exit edit mode they remain where they should.

Version 1903 (18362.387) Surface Pro6

HairyFool, Jun 25, 2020
  3. alijcam Win User
    Start Menu Customisation

I like having a decent list of most used apps on the start launch list in W7. I would change to [not] 'large icons' in the start customisation options, then set the start menu size to (say) 20 apps.
    Shaun posed a great solution to restoring the 9879-type 'resizable' start menu on 9926 (thanks!), but tinkering with the registry entries that controlled the icon sizes in W7 doesn't seem to work in W10TP.
    However, there is clearly some mechanism that configures the 'all programs' list to use small icons
    Anyone have any suggestions to change the main start list to small(er) icons?

I suppose what i'm wanting is the W7 desktop back - and that's probably not far from the truth; for a desktop user, the W7 Aero presentation was smart, nice to look at, and more productive because it had better delineation between content and functional zones that the Playschool (is this to become the new name for it?) UI doesn't seem to have (for me).

Retain the options to allow the users the options to configure the UI presentation the way they are happiest with, and perhaps then do the analytics to see what everyone chooses?

alijcam, Jun 25, 2020
  4. Scott Xe Win User

Start menu has weird-overlapping UI since May update

Modern UI next to Start Menu

I notice the modern UI next to Start Menu in desktop mode. This modern UI is an incomplete one unlike the full program menu in Windows 8.1 tablet mode. What is major purpose to have it - looks like a duplication of Start Menu?

Scott Xe, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

Start menu has weird-overlapping UI since May update

1. Start menu has weird-overlapping UI since May update - Similar Threads - Start menu has

2. Windows search overlaps app list in Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows search overlaps app list in Start menu: Hey everyone, After updating my laptop from Windows version 1909 to 20H2 yesterday, I am facing the exact same problem as discussed and also resolved in this post, Start menu hidden or overlapped by search box - Microsoft Community. I have tried all the four options as...
  3. [Bug] Weird Windows Key / Start Menu bug since a recent update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Bug] Weird Windows Key / Start Menu bug since a recent update: If I shut down my computer and boot it back up, there is a very high chance of my windows key not functioning, but I'm not sure if it's actually the key itself or if the start menu is bugged as clicking on that doesn't work either. When I open up say the Sound settings from...
  4. Start menu tiles overlapping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu tiles overlapping: Has anyone had this issue? I haven't found much online other than someone suggesting it might be the files are damaged (which seems like a big leap). submitted by /u/MastaRolls [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hmc47d/start_menu_tiles_overlapping/
  5. Weird Icon on Taskbar since May 2020 Update Win10 v2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Weird Icon on Taskbar since May 2020 Update Win10 v2004: Hello, ever since updating my windows 10 version to 2004 yesterday, I get a very weird icon on staskbar: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] It appears when I open the arrow on the taskbar and as soon as I hover on it, it immediately disappears, until the next time it appears again....
  6. Start menu hidden or overlapped by search box

Start menu hidden or overlapped by search box: Hi guys, I searched a lot about this issue, my start menu is hidden by the search box. If i invocate it by pressing the start menu key windows key or a click on the button, my start menu is hidden by the search box. This was present in the 1909 and continues with the may...
  7. Tiles overlapping on start menu

Tiles overlapping on start menu: Hello, this happened after having installed MS Edge Bêta (based on Chromium Project). [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tiles-overlapping-on-start-menu/ba2836e0-c890-493f-b45d-e6118b3aade2
  8. Tiles in Start Menu overlapping

Tiles in Start Menu overlapping: Mostly after a restart the Start Menu tiles overlap. The top row is pushed down so it ends up unintelligible, this includes the tile group titles. My workaround is to hold down on a lower tile to enter Start Menu edit mode when the top row springs up into the correct...
  9. Overlapping Tiles in start menu

Overlapping Tiles in start menu: Photos tile is not of proper size and is overlapping upon other tiles. Please fix these issue. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overlapping-tiles-in-start-menu/f2ac09e2-ba7e-4daf-9778-5f633d3b6679
  10. Weird Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Start Menu: Hi Guys This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I've been a member for a while now and before making my first post i've used the search facility until i ran out of keywords to use and couldn't find anything similar to my problem. I have virtually no tiles...