Windows 10: Start menu icons gone for some programs

Discus and support Start menu icons gone for some programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; yo! All of a sudden the battle.net, chrome and evernote lost it's icons but they still work. how, why? 38027 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by premier69, Jan 18, 2016.

1. premier69 Win User

Start menu icons gone for some programs

yo!

All of a sudden the battle.net, chrome and evernote lost it's icons but they still work.
    how, why?

:)

premier69, Jan 18, 2016

2. What happened to my computer?

Are the programs gone or just some of the icons to launch them? Possibly you got updated to version 1607 or had some other update install. Check through the program sections on the left of the Start menu to see if your software is actually still installed.
    It should also show up in Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs if it is still installed.

Don Cuthbert, Jan 18, 2016
  3. GeoffC136 Win User
    Windows 10 Installation - Icons Will Not Display Properly

Dear All

I have sorted this problem in a slow but doable way. The removal of the IconCache (which I have done twice) has made no difference to the problem.

1. To sort the icons for MS Office and CorelDraw I have found the executable files. (Somewhat strangely the MS Office 2010 executables are in the Office14 folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14).

2. I have then created shortcuts for these (which have to be on the Desktop).

3. I have cut them from the Desktop to the appropriate Start Menu folder (C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office).

4. In the start menu folder I have opened the Properties for each shortcut and then changed the icon. (For some reason the Change Icon process has had to be gone through twice for the change to take effect).

5. The icons now appear in the Start Menu tiles with the correct coloured icons!

This is a messy and time consuming fix but it works.

Geoff

GeoffC136, Jan 18, 2016
  4. brummyfan Win User

brummyfan, Jan 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Start menu icons gone for some programs - Similar Threads - Start menu icons

2. My start menu programs are gone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My start menu programs are gone: All my Start menu programs have disappeared and the menu has apparently reconfigured itself to only a few basic programs like Notepad, File Explorer, This PC etc. All other programs and third party programs I've installed are not displayed. The entire Start menu now extends...
  3. Start Menu Icons Settings, Spotify, etc. are gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Icons Settings, Spotify, etc. are gone: Hello,ive changed a few graphic things to enable better frames in games, such as enable game mode, hardware-accelerated-gpu scheduling, focus assistant and the adjust the appearance and performance settings i already changed the appearance back to what windows recommends...
  4. Some start menu tile icons are gone after Windows update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some start menu tile icons are gone after Windows update: After an update installed overnight and completely broke my audio drivers the day of an important call, but I was able to repair that by staying up until 3am... it seems that a lot of my start menu icons are gone. Clicking a tile still boots up an app just fine. [ATTACH]...
  5. Start menu gone

Start menu gone: After upgrading it appears that my Start Menu is no longer displaying. Any ideas on how to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-gone/a2f9827e-679b-4bd8-9122-1e4ed74e59d4
  6. icons for some programs wont show on the start menu properly, is there some way to fix it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    icons for some programs wont show on the start menu properly, is there some way to fix it?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jdk319 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eqmd56/icons_for_some_programs_wont_show_on_the_start/
  7. All the programs in my Start Menu are just gone.

All the programs in my Start Menu are just gone.: So, this happened a couple of weeks ago, and me being the most unobservant person on Earth, I didn't notice that half my icons were missing from my taskbar until yesterday. Most of the remaining icons don't work when clicked (they specify a missing shortcut), and when I went...
  8. Start menu gone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu gone: Two of our Windows 10 computers have suddenly lost their start menus, and now Word documents can't be opened. What to do? Sandy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-gone/4f701a57-d981-4243-8e01-5874ecfd005e
  9. Start menu is gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu is gone: Since last update, my start menu is gone and none of my taskbar shortcuts are working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/start-menu-is-gone/e3195ce7-f566-4e68-8a19-332a23948909
  10. Start Menu Icons Gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Icons Gone: I want to start using my start menu, but I don't remember how to add icons back. I tried to just drag them but that doesn't work. Also, they just all disappeared randomly. Not sure why. Screenshot 33575