Windows 10: Start menu icons missing from programs after inplace upgrade to W10

Discus and support Start menu icons missing from programs after inplace upgrade to W10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been encoutnering this issue and nothing I have found on ten forums or elsewhere has worked. We're working on SCCM to push and deploy Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DarthHerm, Aug 7, 2019.

1. DarthHerm Win User

Start menu icons missing from programs after inplace upgrade to W10

I've been encoutnering this issue and nothing I have found on ten forums or elsewhere has worked. We're working on SCCM to push and deploy Windows 10 Enterprise 1809/1903 to our workstations. I have been running tests with the in place upgrades. One bug I have encountered is after the upgrade, no icons will display for any non Windows Univseral Platform Application in the start menu. The same result if they are pinned as a live tile.

For example, After installing Acrobat Reader DC, the shortcut shows up blank in the start menu but in Windows explorer it's fine. I've tried deleting and rebuilding icon caches from the threads I've seen and none have worked and kinda stumped. I've done the in place upgrade tests on Elitebook 840 G3s and trying to get my hands on some other system models and see if it's the same across the board to see whether it's something with SCCM, our Windows 10 image, or something that is easily fixable.

Start menu icons missing from programs after inplace upgrade to W10 [​IMG]

:)

DarthHerm, Aug 7, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 7, 2019
  3. Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Aug 7, 2019
  4. entropy13 Win User

Some icons missing in W7

Why are some of my icons missing? Not just the shortcuts of those pinned in the start menu, the programs themselves lost their icons. Yet other times they re-appear.

Spoiler
    Start menu icons missing from programs after inplace upgrade to W10 B2Ncj.jpg

entropy13, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Start menu icons missing from programs after inplace upgrade to W10 - Similar Threads - Start menu icons

2. Many icons are missing from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Many icons are missing from the Start menu: Windows 10, Updated many times so it's not a particular version issue.Many Icons don't display with their intended icons when I search on the Start menu. They instead display a generic JPG icon.I have tried the sfc/scan now, refreshing thumbnail cache, and basics like...
  3. Many icons are missing from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Many icons are missing from the Start menu: Windows 10, Updated many times so it's not a particular version issue.Many Icons don't display with their intended icons when I search on the Start menu. They instead display a generic JPG icon.I have tried the sfc/scan now, refreshing thumbnail cache, and basics like...
  4. Many icons are missing from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. App icons missing from Start menu

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    App icons missing from Start menu: [ATTACH] The thumbnails on some apps downloaded from microsoft store are missing. I tried reinstalling these apps. But the problem is not solved. Moreover I cannot download messenger app from microsoft store. How can I solve this problems....
  6. Program icons missing from W10 10 1809 start menu after inplace upgrade from W7 in SCCM

Program icons missing from W10 10 1809 start menu after inplace upgrade from W7 in SCCM: This issue has been popping up during our Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 Proof of Concept testing. This happens when we use SCCM and run an in place upgrade of a deployed Windows 7 system. After the upgrade is done everything looks well except for one thing. I have seen on...
  7. Missing Programs from Start Menu List

Missing Programs from Start Menu List: Please don't tell me to reinstall... did that! Don't tell me to add an icon... I don't want a screen full of icons..... Don't tell me to add an app. If i wanted an apps I'd by a tablet. How do you fix missing installed programs back to Start Menu List. This is why I HATE...
  8. Program missing from Start Menu

Program missing from Start Menu: I'm running windows 10, build 1607 (work machine, *I* can't update it) A while back, I was trying to create a shortcut to Outlook and accidentally MOVED the shortcut out of the start menu folder. (%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) I've re-added it, but it...
  9. Start Menu Icons - Missing

Start Menu Icons - Missing: Ok this is clearly an ongoing problem that Microsft are failing to address, but it needs to be aired. So for ages I have had an issue with or one or two menu icons vanishing from some programs, Google Chrome being the longest running one. But this question is not about any...
  10. Missing Start Menu icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Start Menu icons.: A lot of my Start Menu icons have recently disappeared. Both tiles and "All Apps" entries. The missing items range from games to Windows features. For example "Windows Accessories" only has three items listed and "Windows Administrative Tools" is missing altogether. The only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after in place upgrade start menu misssing

2. 2012 start menu missing after upgrade

3. inplace upgrade windows 10 start menu