Windows 10: Start menu items do not work when accessed through search

Discus and support Start menu items do not work when accessed through search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. I'm new here and this is my first post. I hope someone's able to help. If I use the windows key to bring up the start menu and type the name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ten Pink, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Ten Pink Win User

Start menu items do not work when accessed through search

Hi all.

I'm new here and this is my first post. I hope someone's able to help.

If I use the windows key to bring up the start menu and type the name of a program, e.g. calc, the program shortcut is returned; however, clicking on the shortcut or selecting it and pressing the enter key doesn't do anything. In contrast, if I locate the shortcut by navigating the start menu, it works as expected.

The OS is 64-bit Windows 10 LTSB with all updates to 05/20.

I used O&O ShutUp10 to configure settings and also applied quite a lot of privacy and security tweaks from this site. I tried to undo everything I applied, but it didn't help.

I guess something I applied is responsible. To test this, I created a new user account and that worked fine.

I've been trying to resolve this for six weeks now. I've unsuccessfully scoured the web looking for a solution and am hoping someone here might be able to help. I even exported HKCU for the account with the problem and compared it to the HKCU of the new account, but I wasn't able to identify the problem.

In case my description of the problem is unclear, I've attached a couple of images.

The image on the left shows the shortcut that does not work. The one on the right does work.

Many thanks to all in advance.

TP

:)

Ten Pink, Jul 7, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Where do you find the list of items pinned to the start menu?

A reasonable 'guess' following a couple of simple experiments suggests the registry:

Start menu items do not work when accessed through search [​IMG]

- note the name there.

- unless the data is held where access is restricted e.g. the WindowsApps folder.

dalchina, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Start menu search items not clickable

This has been mentioned a lot and even though I'm constantly forced to update with a count down or scheduling reminder (I've seen posts of supposedly how to disable automatic updates however never had the time to investigate doing it myself but not happy
    about how difficult the process is to disable it in W10P) I still don't see this problem getting addressed.

Problem: Search in start menu for random items result in un-clickable items. For example, type "remove" and the "Add or remove Programs" and "Uninstall a Program" options are listed at the top as one would expect but clicking on them does nothing.

Start menu items do not work when accessed through search 3fcbe912-6637-4bb5-adf9-66201278cb39.jpg

Solution: Type "control" and the "Control Panel" option is listed and IS clickable. Then go to the sub option within the explorer control panel window.

Question: Why list items in the search result if they are not accessible? Is this intuitive? No.

Machine specific? Before suggesting this is a broken install it might help to know I can reproduce this on every W10 machine I've ever worked on of which exist in totally different environments, some were W8 upgrades...some were clean installs.

pingram3541, Jul 7, 2020
  4. Start menu items do not work when accessed through search

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

Start menu items do not work when accessed through search

1. Start menu items do not work when accessed through search - Similar Threads - Start menu items

2. Start menu search not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search not working?: Hello! I discovered a few days ago that my start menu/task bar search menu no longer works. When I click either, I am unable to type. Additionally, I have noticed that when I open the start menu, I no longer have any 'recommended's on display:Does anyone have a guess as to...
  3. Start menu search not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search not working?: Hello! I discovered a few days ago that my start menu/task bar search menu no longer works. When I click either, I am unable to type. Additionally, I have noticed that when I open the start menu, I no longer have any 'recommended's on display:Does anyone have a guess as to...
  4. Start menu and Search function not accessible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and Search function not accessible: Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Build: 19042.985Hi;after the last Windows update 14/5 I cannot access my Start menu, nor use the search function. I am not sure if the update is the cause or not.Here is what I have tried so far:1. Restarting the computer.2. Ran SFC utility corrupt...
  5. start menu search not working

in Cortana
    start menu search not working: Hello, The start menu search has stopped working, please help me fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-search-not-working/17d1856e-511b-4649-b2e3-d3d4c1fc1e52
  6. Start Menu Search not working

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search not working: Hello, I have updated latest feature windows version 2004 in June. After this feature update my start menu searching is not worked and it is little bit slow. Could you please help me with this issue ? Regards, Bhavesh...
  7. Start Menu Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Search Not Working: When I search for files using the regular Windows Explorer when in a folder it works fine. When I press the windows key and type something it now shoes completely empty. I have tried a lot of things within Windows to fix this such as rebuilding the index for search but that...
  8. Start Menu, Search, Cortana and other taskbar Items not working

in Cortana
    Start Menu, Search, Cortana and other taskbar Items not working: I had this problem before that whenever I am clicking the mouse pointer on start button it isn't working. I had updated windows and nothing worked. Had to reset. It has been 3 times now. Please Help....
  9. Right Click start menu items do not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click start menu items do not work: I updated to windows 10 last week and everything worked. Now if I right click on the start menu, the context menu items other than Run, shut down, search or desktop no longer do anything. Cortana always asks me to switch my speech language, but if I ignore that it works and...
  10. Start Menu Search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search not working: When I start my computer, my Start Menu Search sometimes gets stuck in a start up or searching loop. The start menu itself works if I am just using my mouse to click icons. The issue is hitting the Windows button on my keyboard and typing. What is strange is that when...