Windows 10: Start Menu lacks search box, is this normal?

Discus and support Start Menu lacks search box, is this normal? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When tryting to follow instructions I've noticed that my default configured Start Menu in Windows 10 seems to be missing some kind of Search or Find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hannele2, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Hannele2 Win User

Start Menu lacks search box, is this normal?

When tryting to follow instructions I've noticed that my default configured Start Menu in Windows 10 seems to be missing some kind of Search or Find box similar to what Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 had.... Any idea how to get it back?

:)

Hannele2, Jul 13, 2016

2. No search box or start menu

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when thingsd ont work the way it should.

Please follow the below troubleshooting to fix the problem:

Method 1: Perform a sfc scan on the computer to check if there are any corruptions on the computer. Please follow the below link to perform a sfc scan on the computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: Try to perform a DISM commands on the computer. Please follow the below link to know how to perform DISM in Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Method 3:Run Power shell Command

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.

When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jul 13, 2016
  3. RogerPost Win User
    No search box or start menu

I was running Windows 7 on a 64-bit machine. I updated Windows 10 and everything at first seemed fine, but then I discovered that I could not get the or whatever it is called now to come up. I also discovered that I have no search box. If I right-click
    on the window pane in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. I come up with a small white window that does allow me to turn the machine off and that works.

I am quite sure that I had the start menu right after I downloaded Windows 10. I am not sure when that disappeared. I did have some problems with something and I am not sure what this point. I have tried everything I can think of, and I cannot get it back.

I would really like to get both the start and the search box back.

Thanks for your help

RogerPost, Jul 13, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Hannele, *Smile

You should be able to start typing while the Start menu is open to have it automatically search for what you're typing.

Brink, Jul 13, 2016
  5. Hannele2 Win User
    Haha ok! Dammit Microsoft......
    I wonder if I'll live long enough to experience computers that simply respond to a persons thoughts.....

Hannele2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu lacks search box, is this normal? - Similar Threads - Start Menu lacks

2. Start up menu & search box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start up menu & search box in Windows 10: HiI cant access the Windows start up menu from my desktop bottom left hand side and the search function won't work either when I type into it. Can anyone help please...
  3. start menu and search box is not responding on clicking

start menu and search box is not responding on clicking: Need help start menu,search box and notification not working inshort tried windows settings and services is not opening and its just freeze. I have tried all available solution from youtube but its ain't working...
  4. Start Menu restarts explorer.exe, and Search Box not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu restarts explorer.exe, and Search Box not working: Suddenly this night I turn on my laptop and now everytime I open and try to use the Start Menu the Windows Explorer restarts out of nowhere. I've tried doing a clean boot, searched for updates, scanned with Windows Defender, used sfc /scannow and dism.exe, and still nothing....
  5. Start menu and search box become unresponsive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu and search box become unresponsive: I'm running the latest version of Windows, but this started before I upgraded. Whenever it happens, I have to restart the Windows Explorer service to get it to start back. I've looked at the Event Viewer, but nothing seems to jump out. The 2 warnings I see a lot are the...
  6. Start menu hidden or overlapped by search box

Start menu hidden or overlapped by search box: Hi guys, I searched a lot about this issue, my start menu is hidden by the search box. If i invocate it by pressing the start menu key windows key or a click on the button, my start menu is hidden by the search box. This was present in the 1909 and continues with the may...
  7. Start Menu Search Box Suddenly Changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Box Suddenly Changed: Where you see the Start Menu for Windows 10 on the lower left side of your screen, there is usually a white box which reads 'Type here to search'. I can no longer type anything there on my desktop or laptop. I now get a black popup that has some apps at the top and other...
  8. search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working: Hello, no idea why but typing in my start menu and search box suddenly doesn't work. Oddly after playing around with powershell and some tips online (see below) I have gone from nothing appearing in the search box when I type to only the first character of whatever I type...
  9. cortana search box and start menu optimization

in Cortana
    cortana search box and start menu optimization: Hi, Just suggesting the option to pin (or add) the cortana search box to the tile side of the start menu. ie. click start, input goes to cortana search box within start menu, enter search, all or half of tile side turn into regular cortana search menu with results. tbh I'm...
  10. Shortcuts to Folders/Files in Start Menu Search Box

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts to Folders/Files in Start Menu Search Box: Hi everyone, I don't know if this option even exists, but it's worth a try: When I Installed Win 10, if I wanted to quickly access one of those 6 Win 10 PC 'Folders' (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos), I would just had to type in the folder in the...