Windows 10: Start menu lag caused by switching the GPU

Discus and support Start menu lag caused by switching the GPU in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 v1903 on my ASUS N53SV laptop. I updated drivers using windows update. I noticed that every time I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by hadiceberg, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Start menu lag caused by switching the GPU

Hello
    I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 v1903 on my ASUS N53SV laptop. I updated drivers using windows update.
    I noticed that every time I try to open the start menu, It shows after a small (say half a second) lag. If I keep pressing start key, the subsequent openings are lag free. But if I wait for a few seconds and try to open start menu, the lag happens again.
    I also noticed the lag is concurrent with color change of GPU indicator light. Every time the lag occurs, current GPU changes from Intel HD to dedicated Nvidia GeForce for a brief time.
    I tried to track GPU switching using Nvidia GPU Activity app, but it doesn't show any app using dedicated GPU (maybe because it switches back to Integrated GPU shortly)

I tried the following too:
    - in nvidia control panel, changed the default graphics processor to Integrated.
    - added explicit rules to use integrated graphics for searchui.exe, dwm.exe and startmenuexperiencehost.exe

The only solution which is not optimal is to make nvidia the default GPU.

Can you help me track the culprit?

:)

hadiceberg, Jul 16, 2019
  2. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

3. Rose Ter Win User
    Start menu lagging

Hi Koushik,

One of the possible reasons why you’re experiencing this issue with start menu is because of the changes in the settings of your device. For us to isolate the issue, we will need to ask you a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Jul 16, 2019
  4. Start menu lag caused by switching the GPU

start menu and cortana error causing serious lag?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue with Start Menu, Settings and Cortana not responding:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press
      CTRL+Shift+ESC
    • Click File > Run New Task.
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges
    • Type “CMD” without quotes and click on OK.
    • Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Close the CMD window.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

Start menu lag caused by switching the GPU

1. Start menu lag caused by switching the GPU - Similar Threads - Start menu lag

2. Pc lagging with GPU in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc lagging with GPU in: Hello. I have bought Dell PC recently, and i came with one big problem with it. My whole PC is lagging, like FPS Is really low, it starts okay, loading everything fine too, but i cannot play any video games cause it's really laggy. And then ive'seen that once i put out my gpu...
  3. Pc lagging with GPU in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc lagging with GPU in: Hello. I have bought Dell PC recently, and i came with one big problem with it. My whole PC is lagging, like FPS Is really low, it starts okay, loading everything fine too, but i cannot play any video games cause it's really laggy. And then ive'seen that once i put out my gpu...
  4. start menu lags drastically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu lags drastically: Unable to start my daily session since my apps in start menu keeps on lagging. I open the apps but it will take couple of minutes to open then it will close. It happens in every apps....
  5. start menu lags drastically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu lags drastically: Unable to start my daily session since my apps in start menu keeps on lagging. I open the apps but it will take couple of minutes to open then it will close. It happens in every apps....
  6. start menu lags drastically

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. GPU lag

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPU lag: i have a problem with my GPU when i play any game or do anything the image lags rhythmically and the audio pops and crackles. i tried to fix it many times but nothing works i have tried everything with the drivers but nothing changes. my GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti...
  8. Start menu Lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu Lag: Hello everyone ! I run on windows version 1909 and all of a sudden last week my start menu would lag and have a delay of about 3 seconds before actually popping up. I always search stuff on my computer by pressing the Windows button and typing in, but because of this weird...
  9. GPU ardware acceleration in 2004 causing twitch to lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GPU ardware acceleration in 2004 causing twitch to lag: Did someone else noticed that? When I had it enabled and was playing game on first monitor and watching stream on second and the stream was very laggy like a slideshow submitted by /u/Danon221 [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu lag (delay)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Start Menu lag (delay): Hello! I have not find solutions on forum so i decided to post new thread. I have really burst issue with start menu. When i click on start button start menu does not show immediately, it appear with delay, only after half a sec or more. Problem arise after 24-30 hours...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 start menu lag

2. Start menu lag caused by switching the GPU