Windows 10: Start Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml?

Discus and support Start Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I am trying to do something very simple (I assume) and change the default Start Menu Pinned Tile Group column number from 6 to 3 in order... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by FirefoxUser88, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Start Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml?

Hi Everyone,
    I am trying to do something very simple (I assume) and change the default Start Menu Pinned Tile Group column number from 6 to 3 in order to further resize the start menu and remove a blank gap.

See this picture and note the unnecessary blank portion:

Start Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? [​IMG]

I can't drag/resize the Start Menu anymore to the left which is my whole goal. Note also the double white lines on the upper right which indicate that the group extends to that position.

I've been working on this issue for the past few days and have tried everything I could find. The whole PowerShell export layout command results in this XML code:
    Code: <LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification"> <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" /> <DefaultLayoutOverride> <StartLayoutCollection> <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6"> <start:Group Name="Common Programs"> <startStart Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? :DesktopApplicationTile Size="1x1" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Word.lnk" /> <startStart Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? :DesktopApplicationTile Size="1x1" Column="0" Row="1" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OneNote 2016.lnk" /> <startStart Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? :DesktopApplicationTile Size="1x1" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Firefox.lnk" /> <startStart Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? :DesktopApplicationTile Size="1x1" Column="1" Row="1" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Excel.lnk" /> <startStart Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? :DesktopApplicationTile Size="1x1" Column="1" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook.lnk" /> </start:Group> <start:Group Name="Tools"> <start:Tile Size="1x1" Column="2" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" /> <startStart Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? :DesktopApplicationTile Size="1x1" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\CCleaner\CCleaner.lnk" /> <startStart Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? :DesktopApplicationTile Size="1x1" Column="1" Row="1" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Paint.lnk" /> <startStart Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? :DesktopApplicationTile Size="1x1" Column="1" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Snipping Tool.lnk" /> <start:Tile Size="1x1" Column="0" Row="1" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" /> <startStart Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? :DesktopApplicationTile Size="1x1" Column="2" Row="1" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk" /> </start:Group> </defaultlayout:StartLayout> </StartLayoutCollection> </DefaultLayoutOverride> </LayoutModificationTemplate>[/quote] Anytime I try to change that first StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" to "StartTileGroupCellWidth="3" the file becomes an unreadable Start Layout xml file according to PowerShell. Global Policy Editor (GPE) also doesn't recognize it and reverts the start menu to a default version (which is annoying because I have to re-pin all the tiles to make it look like the picture above). I'm confused by this since I'm only changing one integer.

However, when I change the second StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" section to StartTileGroupCellWidth="3" the xml file is processed without error and will be able to be imported by PowerShell, BUT the change isn't kept as a re-export of the layout shows that that second "3" change has reverted back to the "6" width.

I'm not above doing work in the registry (and thus bypassing the editing of the XML entirely) so if there's some key somewhere which will allow me to force the 3 column change or allow for the start menu to be further resized and get rid of the blank space, I'm all ears.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

:)

FirefoxUser88, Jan 30, 2019

2. Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after restart

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand it feels frustrating when the modified settings are not working the way they are supposed to.

As you are using LayoutModification
    xml file to modify the start menu layout, I suggest you to refer the article
    Start layout XML for desktop editions of Windows 10.
    Also, you can refer the article Customize Windows
    10 Start and taskbar with provisioning packages

However, since the issue is related to modifying the start menu layout through a
    LayoutModification xml-file on multiple systems, I request you to post your query at
    TechNet forums, where we have experts on start menu
    modifications.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 30, 2019
  3. d88david Win User
    Adding OneDrive tile to start menu .xml with GPO

Hi Yasir,

Thank you for getting back to me but I have seen that suggestion which will not work for me. That steps suggested to do it manually which I'm trying to pin it to the start layout tile using .xml file via GPO. Below is the path where the OneDrive shortcut
    that I'm trying to pin to the start layout tile.

<startStart Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OneDrive.lnk" />

d88david, Jan 30, 2019
  4. Start Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml?

Start Menu layout modification turns to default after restart

Our company uses a default LayoutModification xml-file on all our computers. However only one of the computers has changed the startlayout after Windows 10 , v.1809 update. But the changes were overwritten after
    a reboot. So Start Menu layout modification
    turns to default after the computer restarts

Pamela Youngi, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml?

1. Start Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml? - Similar Threads - Start Menu Layout

2. Start Menu Layout Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Layout Problem: It isn't really looking right https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-layout-problem/8ff03efc-d7b8-4eee-b788-6f820de9128e
  3. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  4. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  5. Backup Start Menu layout

Backup Start Menu layout: I do not know where to ask this question as none of the little drop down boxes has anything to do with the Start Menu. Question: Is there is any way to backup my start menu on my main Windows 10 computer so that I can use it on my other windows 10 machines. My main computer...
  6. windows start menu layout

windows start menu layout: Somehow I changed to the icon tiles on the start menu. I want the classic menu list instead. Now I can't change it. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-layout/f2ea93ee-57c8-4a20-a6e7-af7a6108f6ab
  7. Start Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml?

Start Menu Layout: LayoutModification.xml?: Hi Everyone, I am trying to do something very simple (I assume) and change the default Start Menu Pinned Tile Group column number from 6 to 3 in order to further resize the start menu and remove a blank gap. See this picture and note the unnecessary blank portion: [img] I...
  8. Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after...

Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after...: We have a default LayoutModification xml-file applied on all our computers. Since 1809, one can change the startlayout, but all changes are overwritten after a reboot is performed. It worked fine before on 1803. Is there a solution for this? ***Original title: Default...
  9. Start menu layout

Start menu layout: Is there a way to reset the start menu layout? Like when you start a new user? I'm using windows 10 version 1803. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/start-menu-layout/a51f03a8-cc0c-4d8f-82df-8c2de79651a1
  10. CopyProfile XML for Start layout

CopyProfile XML for Start layout: Has anyone managed to get customize the start menu and then copying that customization in the default user by using the CopyProfile method? Link: Start layout for Windows 10 desktop editions - Windows 10 hardware dev Moreover, has anyone successfully deployed this via SCCM...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1809 layoutmodification.xml taskbar pinned examples

2. how to change start menu layout to default xml