Windows 10: Start Menu layout modification turns to default after restart

Discus and support Start Menu layout modification turns to default after restart in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Our company uses a default LayoutModification xml-file on all our computers. However only one of the computers has changed the startlayout after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Pamela Youngi, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Start Menu layout modification turns to default after restart

Our company uses a default LayoutModification xml-file on all our computers. However only one of the computers has changed the startlayout after Windows 10 , v.1809 update. But the changes were overwritten after a reboot. So Start Menu layout modification turns to default after the computer restarts

:)

Pamela Youngi, Jan 8, 2019

2. Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after restart

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand it feels frustrating when the modified settings are not working the way they are supposed to.

As you are using LayoutModification
    xml file to modify the start menu layout, I suggest you to refer the article
    Start layout XML for desktop editions of Windows 10.
    Also, you can refer the article Customize Windows
    10 Start and taskbar with provisioning packages

However, since the issue is related to modifying the start menu layout through a
    LayoutModification xml-file on multiple systems, I request you to post your query at
    TechNet forums, where we have experts on start menu
    modifications.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Darknova Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Jan 8, 2019
  4. Start Menu layout modification turns to default after restart

windows 10 start menu messed up layout

Hello Nabiha,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + I keys, select Personalization.
    • Select Start and check if the Start menu screen is turned to Full screen mode.
    • If the full screen is turned on, Turn off and check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu layout modification turns to default after restart

1. Start Menu layout modification turns to default after restart - Similar Threads - Start Menu layout

2. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  3. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  4. Windows 10 Start menu tile modification

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Start menu tile modification: Hi all, I hoping someone can help me with amending the start menu tiles. We currently have a custom "layoutmodification.xml" file in the users profile, this is app. this displays IE and File explorer tiles in the start menu. I would like to remove IE, replace it with Edge...
  5. Start Menu Modifications Event Logs?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Modifications Event Logs?: Hello, I would like to retrieve logs for modifications to the start menu tiles changing names of categories, moving apps in event viewer. Is this possible? Thanks....
  6. Start Menu resetting to default after every restart.

Start Menu resetting to default after every restart.: Hi, I've reset my PC recently, and since then, my Start Menu keeps resetting to its default after restarting my PC. Also, when I try to pin any apps to the Start Menu, they don't physically appear in the menu. But when I right click the app again, the option "unpin from...
  7. Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after...

Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after...: We have a default LayoutModification xml-file applied on all our computers. Since 1809, one can change the startlayout, but all changes are overwritten after a reboot is performed. It worked fine before on 1803. Is there a solution for this? ***Original title: Default...
  8. Resetting start page menu layout to default in Win 10.

Resetting start page menu layout to default in Win 10.: Hi.....somehow I lost my original start page menu layout. I can access everything as before, but the layout is different and I have to click on more buttons etc. Is there a way I can get the original layout without doing a computer restore and having to 'customize' things...
  9. Start menu layout

Start menu layout: Is there a way to reset the start menu layout? Like when you start a new user? I'm using windows 10 version 1803. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/start-menu-layout/a51f03a8-cc0c-4d8f-82df-8c2de79651a1
  10. How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?: Hello, I somehow managed to add shortcut to my Start menu leading nowhere and it messed up the whole thing. It closes itself nearly instantly and any interaction causes explorer.exe to crash. So is there a folder with *.lnk files, or xml with the Start menu...